Join our zoo community

Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust Durrell orang birth in BBC documentary...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Rick J, 4 Jul 2013.

1. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I wanted to give everyone a 'heads up' on this amazing documentary, filmed in both Jersey and Sumatra, by BBC Channel Islands.

Although it's only currently scheduled for broadcast on BBC Southwest, on July 14th at 1530pm, you'll be able to view it for 7 days afterwards on BBC iPlayer, and of course I'll post a link when it's available.

BBC - Media Centre - Programme Information - Refugees Of The Lost Rain Forest

The film features some of the footage we captured during Dana's natural delivery of her first surviving infant. It's possibly a world first, as is the included footage of 'Gina's' caesarean section delivery of 'Jaya'. The film also contains footage of ultrasound examinations of Dana and Anette's infants in the womb, and, perhaps most poignantly, footage in Sumatra with former Durrell keeper Ian Singleton - who now leads the SOCP (Sumatran Orangutan Conservation Project). Durrell's Deputy Head of Mammals - Gordon Hunt - is our main orangutan keeper, and is featured throughout.

If you are a long time supporter of Gerald Durrell, then it might be a nice way to catch up with his legacy, and see for the first time in a decade or more a TV special that covers the Wildlife Park, and our work beyond.

-Rick

2. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

It sounds unmissable :)

I knew from my last visit that it was in the offing and avidly watched last night's Horizon 'What Makes Us Human' in case it was the correct programme! It had some nice shots of apes anyway.