Join our zoo community

Dutch animal-trade

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by vogelcommando, 7 Jan 2017.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This report is more interesting.

But here the downside is that when discrepancies are found between exports reported or permits given and the import licenses honoured are never really fully investigated. Now, I can do the arithmetic too and … the obvious difficulty … is to get at the bottom of these discrepancies and how and why they occur! Is it policy failure or is it more sinister in nature .. and are we simply failing to properly police imports and exports?

If not, we will simply be making the same report in several years from now and coming up with the same conclusions.

3. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Some of the Dutch animal importers claim that these discrepancies are caused by reporting mistakes and the practice that shipments do not always contain what was planned due to different availability from the exporter side. This could of course explains part of it, but I would not exclude the more sinister options.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks DDCorvus, but you will understand I am somewhat perturbed and well really dismayed the researchers have not bothered to investigate all that in the nitty gritty details. Aside, it is also not the best looker for law enforcement and / or capabilities!