Join our zoo community

Dutch Ape Thread

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by ShonenJake13, 26 Feb 2016.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Orang-utans Josje and Kesatu have been transferred to Israel, meaning there are now 11 orang-utans in Apenheul and 18 in total in the Netherlands.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Chimps in Dierenrijk Nuenen:
    Males: Frits, Dirk
    Females: Pep(a), Jana, Caroline, Christa and Sonja.

4. ShonenJake13

So this means that the individuals remaining at Beekse Bergen are as follows.

Males: Socrates, Dennis, Gert-Jan, Daan, Wakili, Pat, Wouter, Dongo, Sanne, Stephan, Julian

Females: Anna-Clara, Marlies, Lenny, Centa, Linda, Nadine, Joke, Michelle, Marijke, Fangina, Martje, Jozi, Inosha

All, including the Dierenrijk individuals, are western with the exception of Wouter and Sanne, who are non-subspecific

Last edited: 10 Aug 2016
  5. ShonenJake13

So now the only group we're missing info on is the Amersfoort chimp group. As far as I'm aware in 2014 there were 10 individuals: four males (Mike, Karibuna, Kumi and Wingu) and six females (Sjors, Kokkie, Bini, Willy, Bibi and Chura). Kumi is non-subspecific, whereas all the others are western. Can anyone verify if this is still the case?

6. Kifaru Bwana

I suppose you are right on almost all the numbers and names.

Only remarks to be had:
    SBB-Hilvarenbeek: M Dongo passed away recently.
    Amersfoort: M Kumi was till recently listed as an "unknown". He was recently tested, not sure of the end verdict.

7. ShonenJake13

Ah ok :/ sad news about Dongo and fingers crossed Kumi is still about (I mean he is non-subspecific so they wouldn't be losing anyone of sincere genetic importance. It would be unfortunate nonetheless.)

Also, looking back at the AAP groups vogelcommando mentioned on I think the 3rd page of this thread, I can't find Tanno in the studbook, does anyone know his birth year?

8. ShonenJake13

Following some further research into the AAP chimps onshow, it appears Fritz died at the end of June/beginning of July.

9. Kifaru Bwana

An update: You are missing out on quite a few chimps in your name list. This is understandable as I suspect that most chimps with lab histories are high security risk / diseased individuals and not visible to the general public. As per the 2015 Annual Report they should have … 51 chimps (status 31/12/2015)!

Male Koko was alive in 2015 and part of the recently established all male bachelor group: Buddy, Macario, Koko, Unyoro and Sony.

Female Dolley died in July 2016.

10. ShonenJake13

I would assume that Koko has either passed away, been moved offshow or moved to Spain, as he joined the group of five at the beginning of the year and wasn't present when VC visited in May.

In any case, there are 18 onshow currently and that is the list VC has provided us with, minus Dolley and Fritz.

From what I can make out from the 2014 studbook, there were 42 then. Of those 42, five were infected with hepatitis B, 15 with hepatitis C, seven with HIV, two with SIV (chimpanzee strain), one had an unknown status as to whether or not he was infected and the remaining 12 were not infected. Particularly with those latter two infections there is a high chance they have passed away since 2014, which is why there aren't many left.

Of those that VC saw on his visit, their statuses in 2014 were as follows.

Julio = Hepatitis B
    Zorro = Hepatitis C
    Juus = clean
    Willy = Hepatitis C
    Tomas = Hepatitis C
    Unyoro = clean
    Jim = Hepatitis B
    Buddy = clean
    Fiffy = Hepatitis B
    Freddy = clean
    Toto = clean
    Tanno = N/A as wasn't present in 2014
    Sony = clean
    Fritz (RIP) = clean
    Mojo = clean
    Regina = Hepatitis B
    Macario = clean
    Linda = Hepatitis B
    Mimmi = clean
    Dolley (RIP) = clean

This makes sense as obviously any of the chimps with SIV or HIV would be offshow in quarantine. The groupings also make sense:

Tomas, Zorro, Willy and Juus = all bar Juus infected with Hepatitis C

Julio, Jim, Toto, Regina, Fiffy and Linda = all bar Toto infected with Hepatitis B

Buddy, Macario, Sony and Unyoro = all clean

Tanno, Mimmi and Dolley (RIP) = both females clean, Tanno assumedly so

Freddy and Mojo = both clean

Fritz = clean

11. ShonenJake13

Having asked Stichting AAP via Facebook, it appears that Koko has been moved from Buddy's group to Tanno's group recently. He is doing well there. So there's your answer Nikola!!

I have asked to confirm if the other onshow groups are also correct and there have been no other changes other than the passing of Fritz and Dolley.

12. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you Kifaru Bwana for making me aware of the Anual Report, very intresting reading ! It however made clear that the 51 Chimps of Stichting AAP are not all living in Almere ( Netherlands ) but that also a part of the animals ( "several groups" ) are living in Spain ( Primadomus ).
    These animals can of course not counted in the Dutch population.
    Found this video of one of the groups in Primadomus - Spain :
    https://youtu.be/NdIJYmPfumo

13. ShonenJake13

From what I can find in the 2014 studbook, there were 42 (counting Fritz and Dolley, but not Tanno) chimpanzees in the centre in Almere and 9 chimpanzees in Primadomus (males Bingo Achille Antoine Patrick, and females Anna Peggy Wilma Babsie Prudence). This correlates with the 51 total as of 31/12/2015, so we could assume that the ones offshow are all the others in the studbook? This would therefore mean that, other than the 18 onshow, the following 22 are offshow in Almere:

Males = Oscar, Zeef, Bie, Erik, Laurens, Tijs, Ton, Noah, Joost, Huub, Fuad, Fauzi, Kenny

Females = Maja, Phil, Peggy-Sue, Ono, Femma, Marjo, Sylvia, Karlien, Iris

This would also make sense as Kenny's status of infection is unknown, Noah and Oscar are both infected with SIVcpz, Maja, Zeef, Bie, Erik, Laurens, Tijs and Ono are infected with HIV and the remaining 12 are infected with Hepatitis C (info from 2014).

14. ShonenJake13

Updates.

In regards to the breeding gorilla group at Beekse Bergen: Apenheul have made it clear to me that SBB wrote their press release about the new group a little too early, as talks are still in progress as to who from Apenheul will join Komale and Tuena. It is therefore unknown as to whether it's M'Fugaji or Gyasi, and if it's the latter whether Tayari will move with her or not.

Following further research, it appears that the chimps now living at Dierenrijk are males Fritz, Dirk and Pat, and females Carolina, Sonja, Jana and Christa. Pepa still lives at SBB with her little daughter Inosha.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2016
  15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hence my comment about that press release, that the named animals were not necessarily correct, at least in respect of Apenheul.

16. ShonenJake13

Update to list of chimps at SBB: there is a female infant called Lily born last December. Unsure as to who the mother of this one is.

17. ShonenJake13

More updates to the two largest chimp holders in the Netherlands: female Iris (infected with hepatitis C) lives with Zorro's group at Stichting AAP (all of which bar one are also infected with hep C).

And after asking Beekse Bergen on Facebook it emerges that in actual fact there are seven more chimpanzees that I was unaware of: Abuja, Amadou, Sharno, Kitoto, Umba, Erik and Kitoto. What I'm curious to know about these seven is how long have they been at the park, considering they're not in the studbook listing of 2014....? And where did they come from.......?

EDIT: So after asking where these seven came from Beekse Bergen said the following:

Abuja and Amadou came from Münster

Sharno, Umba and Kitoto from Emmen

Erik from Antwerp

Tuena from Rotterdam...........

As far as I'm aware Münster never had a pair of chimps called Abuja and Amadou, Antwerp never had one called Erik, Emmen never had chimps at all and of course Tuena is the gorilla from Rotterdam.

I will ask about the other six in the SBB thread but just to clarify that for you guys :p

Last edited: 15 Aug 2016
  18. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Do they discovered the infection accidentally, or such testings are part of regular testings (eg. annually) or testing durring quarantine? Will these chimps be allowed to breed (if that's needed)?
    Who knows from where they have been infected with hepatitis C virus (the source of the virus who entered to circulate in the chimp population), primarly a blood-borne virus necessitating direct contact of tissues (blood) or iatrogenic (eg. contaminated unsterilized instruments), or via biting insects?
    Between chimps it is clear that it can spread via biting, copulation, scratching, etc.

19. ShonenJake13

The infected chimps at AAP came from the TNO; a Dutch research institute that did biomedical research on chimpanzees for years and, when it was made illegal to test on chimps in the Netherlands, transferred their chimps to various collections (see the thread "TNO chimps - where are they now?" started by yours truly for more info). They infected some deliberately with HIV, SIVcpz, hepatitis B and heptatitis C for this research. All of those surviving with these illnesses live at AAP; some in quarantine and some not (all those with HIV and SIV are in quarantine, whereas most of those with hep B and hep C are onshow).

20. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I don't have any real interest in chimps, so this may be no help at all - but I know that one of the two Wuppertal chimps was called Kitoto.