Join our zoo community

ZOO Dvůr Králové Dvůr Králové

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by kifaru, 11 Apr 2008.

1. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This evening, 46-years old cow Drumbo from Vienna zoo is expected to arrive.

Also, some local zoo fans have started a petition for the two tomistoma crocodiles to stay at Dvur. The plan is to move them next year to Lodz/Poland after their new exhibit Orientarium is opened. Zoo fans are afraid planned transport of full grown animals may be dangerous. Some years ago, Dvur sent 1,1 tomistomas to Protivin, unfortunately the male died during that transport due to high stress.

Elephantelephant likes this.
  2. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It already spun out of the "local zoo fans" area. Signed under this petition are already some employees from Dvur (both zookeepers and others) and some other zoos and many private keepers (the ones I know have pretty much no experience with crocodiles though). Nevertheless, I still expect the zoo to go with the plan and having enough arguments to resist this.

3. xmoose

xmoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

while I see argument against moving - is there even possibility to keep them on?

4. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo doesn't want to impose the exceptions to their "Africa only" policy anymore, so both Orangutans and tomistomas will be gone probably sooner rather than later...

Also I heard some rumours that Dvur wants to redo the roof of the Aquarium house and if I exxgarate a bit, that's the only way how to get the male out :D

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Not much of an exaggeration :p he's the largest crocodilian I have ever seen!

Antoine likes this.
  6. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I read somewhere (possibly on zoochat) that large crocodiles cannot remain long time outside water, because their circulatory system no longer fully manages with the weight of the body. I am not a croc expert, however, by any means.

7. xmoose

xmoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am not sure if thats a valid argument for risky transfer...
    But I read that Kraken became too big for his current exposition which is for me much better argument.

Antoine likes this.
  8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Their curator is a very seasoned knowledgeable expert on reptiles and I am not sure how far he has been involved in the decision to relocate the breeding pair of Tomistoma. However, it has been known for some years now that the Reptile House cum Aquarium was up for renovations and that it might be that these would been transferred out as part of the African theme of Dvur Kralove. Rumour some 2 years ago allthough was that the Tomistoma would remain after renovations. That seems to have changed.

What I will say is that I do find it curious to send the adult - breeding - pair to Lodz (when inexperienced with the species - let them start with young hatchlings (2-3 year olds+). I would. rather have it the breeding pair would transfer to an already experienced holder that is then able to integrate the pair into their enclosures for crocs.

9. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Really an impressive and beautiful animal.
    The Dvur enclosure was not to large but Zoochatters must have seen the saltwater croc who lived in Amneville ten years ago. He was so large and long that he was touching the wall of the two sides of his exhibit. Outstanding !

I don't know if Lodz reptiles team is good or not but I suppose all will be done by the two zoos to do the best for the tomistomas.

Obviously, this will be another reason to discover Lodz. And Dvur will miss the tomistomas but there is still enough to see in this interesting park.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Jana

I can´t comment on that claim that large crocodiles can´t survive long outside water, haven´t heard it before. Many species tend to lie in on bank on sun for long hours, transport from Dvur to Lodz should be manageable (few hours).

But tomistomas are very stress-prone animals. The only way for them to absolve the transport safely is slow crate training for both. But, with such small enclosure, it will be hard to place there 2 huge crates for weeks.

Kraken is large male, over 5.15 meters and 250 kg (weight is only approximated) and still young and thus growing. He deserves far better exhibit than he lives now. But move is dangerous and I really don´t know if I should support for the pair to stay or move.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2020
    Kifaru Bwana and twilighter like this.
  11. Antoine

Well, the adults tomistomas in Beauval came from Hong-Kong where they lived in a small terrarium. I assume the travel was far difficult than Dvur - Lodz and they arrived safely in the zoo.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. Jana

A pygmy hippo has been born late last month. And it´s a boy! Good news because captive population in Europe is skewed towards females and males are scarce. Mother is Tanquey (20). I hope we will get anythoer birth in winter from young female Malya (6) while Tana (40) is too old now I think. The pygmy hippo exhibit is undergoing a reconstruction till spring next year, larger pools outside will be added and the house gets complete overhaul including new roof.

13. Jana

The latest secretary bird chick has hatched very late in season and is being hand-reared. Keepers use a puppet that mimics a head of an adult bird (made from old sock, paper). It is one of 3 chicks that were bred this year in Dvur Kralove.

I found short video on twitter but don´t know how to enbed it here, just a link.
    https://twitter.com/VlastimilWeiner/status/1328385812770197506

twilighter, Kifaru Bwana and Antoine like this.
  14. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for sharing @Jana ! Brings up memories back to the end of the 1980s were I hand-raised a Secretary bird myself at Walsrode :).

Antoine likes this.
  15. Jana

Servals have a new litter of 3 cubs, born on 1.November of this year.

One West-African slender-snouted crocodile, a 2-meters long female, arrived from Bioparc Valencia. She should get on show probably in the middle of year 2021.

16. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A Peters's Anggolan ( aka Tanzanian black and white ) colobus born recently at the zoo :).

17. Antoine

After an Angolan colobus Dvur Kralove welcome a eastern putty-nosed monkey. Another great birth !

18. Antoine

Birth of 1.2 thomson's gazelles in Dvur :)

zoomaniac and HungarianBison like this.
  19. Jana

The zoo confirmed a birth of a honeybadger cub born on 24th December.

Attendance was 450.772 in year 2020, 90.000 less than last year.

Source is their HP.

20. Antoine

Really great news !
    @Jana Do we know exactly how many honeybadgers are in Dvur now as it was discussed they received Howletts paire this year (and from what I remind there was already a paire composed with the young female born in Olomouc and a male imported from outside Europe)?
    Thank you for your help.