Join our zoo community

ZOO Dvůr Králové Dvůr Králové

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by kifaru, 11 Apr 2008.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Found the link and it mentions the female slender-snouted crocodile is 18 years old. Zoo DK is trying to source a male from outside Europe. Further, potential for release of any successful hatchlings in Cote d'Ivoire in West Africa is considered feasible too in future

Link: Safari park má nejtajemnějšího z krokodýlů. Samice vzácného druhu přijela ze Španělska : Safari park

I have no information where the female crocodile originated from. There have been suggestions that the major part of the European slender-snouted crocodile are not pure-bred, but hybrids. I cannot get confirmation either way for now.

JurassicMax likes this.
  2. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

¨

This still puzzles me, when Valda (for the European audience known better as Wamburuhtuh) arrived, the first official announcement from Zoo was that he arrived from South Lakes, UK and he arrived in October 2019 (and this is the correct story as far as my information go).

But suddenly all the media reports since then talk about his arrival in early 2020 and from Rotterdam...I wonder where and when this confusion started and why the zoo's PR department decided to run with it. I mean it's not like other people than us zooenthusiast care, but it is interesting nonetheless.

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I guess that this stems from the first DK zoo press release about him from February 2020. The male was introduced as a new arrival from the UK and it stated that he was born in Rotterdam. The current PR person probably just took that older press release and didn´t check real facts with zoo registrators,

4. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As part of an enrichment experiment, the chimpanzees at Dvur Kralove have been given a large screen that shows a livestream of the troop of chimpanzees living at Brno Zoo. This is to provide the chimps with something to watch while the park is closed during lockdown.

More information can be found in the link below:
    https://phys.org/news/2021-03-chimpanzees-czech-zoo-screen-virus.html

5. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A really unique experiment would be if Brno Zoo installed a TV from Dvur, and it could be two-way communication between chimps.

6. Jana

Both zoos have cameras and big screens so they can communicate both ways in real time.

JurassicMax and Jurek7 like this.
  7. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Super interesting!

8. Jana

Gender of the honey badger cub (born 24th Dec last year) to Tyson and Beebee has been revealed, it is a boy.

Some recent pics in article here.

Antoine, 16217 and JurassicMax like this.
  9. Jana

Two pairs of marabou have laid eggs and 4 chicks are currently reared at the zoo. Two of them under parents and two of them in a nest of Goliath Herons. The resident heron pair is not producing own fertile eggs, but they are a good surrogate parents to other chicks.

Thanks to generous donations from public and some additional funds awarded by the regional government and state, the zoo has secured enough finances that enable it to function (pay salaries, electricity, food etc.) till end of May. All Czech zoos are closed for +200 days now with no clear outlook on reopening.

10. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

The zoo has now confirmed the gender of the red duiker, it's a male! The Instagram post mentions that he will soon be send to Wroclaw and that a unrelated female will arrive from Poland to form a pair with him. I did use Google Translate to translate this message, could someone who speaks Czech confim this?
    I do think that it would be more logical for Dvůr to keep the male and receive a new breeding female from Wroclaw.

Source:
    Instagram of ZOO Dvůr Králové (02/04/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CNKrWTXso92/

Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You got it right, zoos will exchange males

Kifaru Bwana and JurassicMax like this.
  12. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Thanks for the confirmation!

13. Jana

A reticulated male giraffe Kiango (3) arrived from Zoo Odense/Denmark. He should be the new breeding bull. The zoo keeps now 11 reticulated giraffes, but it´s been 6 years since last birth because the EEP allowed no breeding.

Judging based on latest advertising texts, the new flamingo aviary is probably still not ready/open. On the other hand, last mohicans of Nanger dama ruficollis are on exhibit. Also the honey badger cub is visible.

14. Jana

Gabriela Linhart (curator of primates, carnivores and small mammals) now took over EEP and studbook for African wild dogs.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2021
    JurassicMax, Tusker and Antoine like this.
  15. Jana

A new breeding species for the zoo - a chick of Long-tailed glossy starling hatched.

vogelcommando and JurassicMax like this.
  16. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the meantime the young has left the nest and this is indeed a very rare breeding-result !

Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  17. Jana

Zoo´s FB post shows a new litter of 4 Red river hogs.

18. Jana

The zoo director mentioned in an interview that they have a few days old litter of African civet. It won´t be promoted till they survive and are older, but I hope they do.

19. Jana

African civet litter of 3 cubs was born already in April and now gets advertised on zoo´s HP. But is still kept off-show.
    Safari park jako první rozmnožil cibetky africké. V divočině přispívají k šíření lesů, člověk je pronásleduje kvůli parfémům, kávě i kožichu : Safari park

Elephantelephant and Antoine like this.
  20. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Recently a Drill was born at Dvur Kralove :).