Join our zoo community

ZOO Dvůr Králové Dvůr Králové

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by kifaru, 11 Apr 2008.

1. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Antoine, Haliaeetus and Jana like this.
  2. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I found some informations about the new flamingos aviary and some pictures of the new area.

So the new flamingos aviary is 480 square meters and the visitors will be able to go in with a boardwalk on one of the sides. I am a little bit disappointed with this size of aviary as it is really small even for 75 greater flamingos.

And the photos I found :

Not the new flamingos house. More chance it is a new restaurant.
    [​IMG]

New area
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And new flamingos aviary in construction :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Safari park začne stavět pavilon pro tučňáky a vinici. Kraken se chystá do Lodže

An a link with a video where you can see the new flamingos house from indoor and outdoor : Ve Dvoře stěhovali plameňáky do nové voliéry a přistřihli jim letky - iDNES.cz

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That first pic is indeed the new restaurant "Steak house" that opened during the summer.

Size of the new flamingo aviary is ok I would say. But pond banks covered by midsized pebbles in it is stupid idea.

The pinguin exhibit construction is also nicely underway, the concrete structure of the outside pool is done.

twilighter, Antoine and JurassicMax like this.
  4. JurassicMax

Also a new breeding male for the Rothschild's giraffes (Giraffa camelopardalis rothschildi) arrived from Plzen in July.

In August 3 Cape porcupines (Hystrix africaeaustralis) were born.

Sources:
    Instagram of Zoo Dvůr Králové (13/07/2021) Login • Instagram
    Instagram of Zoo Dvůr Králové (13/08/2021) Login • Instagram

Gil and Antoine like this.
  5. Jana

A Nile hippo calf has been born recently to parents Mike and Mona. Gender not revealed.

Source: FB site

The zoo also posted a pic of their first pelican chick - pink-backed pelican - of this winter breeding season.
    (Usually, later during winter or early spring, if some late chicks can´t be placed under parents anymore because they have already left nests, there are hand-reared chicks visible in the nursery room in bird house for visitors.)

Starting this weekend, the zoo areal is decorated by festive Christmas lights and other decorations. It should last till early January. But their cute Christmas market (where you could buy hand-made items or try ethnic African food) seem to have been cancelled this year to avoid building of crowds?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Dec 2021
  6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

New species for Dvur Kralove : 3 Madagascar spider tortoises .

JurassicMax, Therabu and Antoine like this.
  7. JurassicMax

On the 28th of December a female Kirk's dik-dik (Madoqua kirkii) was born, according to the post the same female gave birth to another young at the start of last year.

Source:
    Instagram of Dvůr Králové (14/01/2022) https://www.instagram.com/p/CYtDb3jsvM9/

Elephantelephant and Zorro like this.
  8. JurassicMax

Their genders have recently been revealed, 3 females and 1 male.

Source:
    Instagram of Dvůr Králové (18/01/2022) https://www.instagram.com/p/CY3sqpuM-wm/

Jana likes this.
  9. vogelcommando

10. JurassicMax

Recently another Red duiker (Cephalophus natalensis) was born!

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Dvůr Králové (16/01/2022) Login • Instagram

11. Jana

The zoo keeps griffon vultures off-show and plans to build an aviary for them in the enlargement area. According to media articles, they hold 3,3 birds. Of them 2 females came from Moscow (lack of females in EU zoos has forced the zoo to source them from far away) and 1,1 came from Ostrava zoo last year where their female was trying to court a male from Ostrava´s established breeding pair so she had to go. They have been now all put together with hope they would form 3 pairs and show breeding behaviour this spring.

Personally, I would prefer Dvur would keep some rarer African vulture species instead. But the zoo expressed their wish to release future vulture offspring into nature (in Europe) so this is logical species to keep I guess.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Surprised that no griffon vultures available in western or central Europe. I know for a fact that Spain regularly sends off non releasable birds to captive-breeding facilities.

I also would have thought the general theming wise that Dvur would select some of the African vulture species. Plenty of these require conservation breeding attention.

Zorro, JurassicMax and Antoine like this.
  13. xmoose

xmoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, at least according to wiki, Griffon vultures are to be found in (north) Africa also (while mostly living in Eurasia, truth), so at least geographically its fitting - not gonna argue that there could be some more interesting species to kept.
    Also, I am quite surprised that such "iconic african animal" as vulture is, was missing in Dvůr collection (I mean exhibits) - heck, I can´t remember when (or if!) there were some off-show vultures in Dvůr.

14. Jana

Dvur had vultures on exhibit in the past. The former zoo direktor Vagner imported not only heaps of ungulates from Afrika, but also some birds like flamingos or vultures in 1970s. I myself can´t remmember to see any on exhibit but there are postcards with them and older peoples recollections of them. I can´t say when last vanished from show but probably in 1990s?

My consolation is hope they would gain experience in vulture husbandry and then some time in future would exchange the griffon vultures for some new, more exciting and fitting species.

But first, an exhibit must be built. It is in pipelane but time schedule is unlear yet.

JurassicMax and xmoose like this.
  15. Antoine

@Jana Are you sure the zoo doesn't plan to add other vulture species in the new area ? Maybe there will be other aviaries ?

If not, it would be disappponting as you said.

Suprised too. There are planty of bird shows here and there where griffon vultures are bred each year.

16. Jana

Completly sure? No. But the zoo keeps no other species currently and never mentioned other species so far. So we must wait and let us be (positively) surprised.

Antoine likes this.
  17. JurassicMax

A new species recently arrived at the zoo: African bush viper (Atheris squamigera).
    I am not sure whether they received a pair or just one animal.

Source:
    Instagram of Dvůr Králové (04/02/2022) Login • Instagram

Kifaru Bwana and Antoine like this.
  18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sad to see the lesser flamingo leave.

I had high hoped for them breeding here.

zoomaniac and JurassicMax like this.
  19. vogelcommando

Elephantelephant likes this.
  20. Antoine

JurassicMax and twilighter like this.