Join our zoo community

Dwarf angelfishes ( Centropyge ) in captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by vogelcommando, 22 Jan 2017.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On special request I will start a second thread on a coralfish-genus, this time the Dwarf angelfishes of the genus Centropyge.
    Like with the genus Chaetodon I will first provide info about the captive status of all 33 species and have a look if the species is already represented in the photo-gallery.
    1) Centropyge abei - Abe's angelfish. A very little known species which has never been kept in European ( public ) collections and the only information I found is from Hix which saw this species in 2012 at the Waikiki Aquarium and he made here also the only picture sofar in the Gallery :
    Abe's Angelfish | ZooChat
    2) Centropyge acanthrops - Orange back angelfish. One of the more commonly kept species and at the moment 16 European collections are keeping it ( ZTL ). In the gallery I found only one photo, made by myself at the Aquarium in Kiel - Germany :
    Centropyge acanthops | ZooChat
    3) Centropyge agri - Cherubfish. Kept in 6 collection in Europe at the moment but also from this species only a single photo in the Gallery, made in a dutch aquarium-shop by myself :
    Centropyge argi | ZooChat
    4) Centropyge aurantia - Golden angelfish. From this species I didn't find any info it being kept in public collections and there are also no photos of it in the Gallery.
    5) Centropyge aurantonoctus - Flame back angelfish. Zootierliste mention 3 collections which have kept this species in the past but at the moment it's not kept in Europe and there are no pictures of it in the Gallery.
    6) Centropyge bicolor - Bicolor angelfish. The second most commonly kept species in European collections ( 36 zoos and aquariums keeping it ) and quite a number of photos are represented in the Gallery like this one, made by Kakapo :
    Blue and Gold Angelfish (Centropyge bicolor) | ZooChat
    7) Centropyge bispinosa - Two spined angelfish. Also quite common in Europe ( 30 collections ) and also quite well represented in the Gallery, like this one made by myself in a Dutch aquarium-shop :
    Twospined Angelfish (Centropyge bispinosa) | ZooChat
    8) Centropyge boylei - Peppermint angelfish. No information found on being kept in public collections and also not represented in the Gallery.
    9 ) Centropyge colini - Cocos Keeling angelfish. Could find information about this species being kept in public collections but Hix placed a beautifull photo from the wild in the Gallery :
    Cocos Angelfish | ZooChat
    10) Centropyge debelius - Blue Mauritius angelfish. Another species from which I was unable to find any notes of it being kept in public collections and also no photos of it at the Gallery.
    11) Centropyge deborae - Blue velvet angelfish. Also from this species no information about being kept in public collections and I wasn't able to find any photos of it at the Gallery.

Part 2 and 3 of this mini-serie will follow later.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2017
    UngulateNerd92 and SealPup like this.
  2. vogelcommando

Have already to make an correction / audition : number 8 ) Peppermint angelfish is / has been
    kept also at the Waikiki Aquarium where it shared an aquarium with the Abe's angelfish as can be seen in this Youtube-clip :

Last edited: 22 Jan 2017
    UngulateNerd92 likes this.
  3. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I think @Hix saw and photographed the two species whilst they were in the tank - I can't seem to find the photos of the peppermint angelfish. Am I imagining things?

4. vogelcommando

Checked the Waikiki Gallery twice but couldn't find a picture of the Peppermint angelfish. However, if they were kept together in one tank at the time Hix visited, I'm almost sure he at least tried to make some photos of this " Top 10 - most expensive fish-species " ( at place 3 ):

Last edited: 23 Jan 2017
  5. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

The Peppermint was not there when I visited - I think it arrived a few months later.

And Centropyge colini may have once been called the Cocos Angelfish when it was thought to be restricted to the islands (but is now known from Indonesia and the Philippines) and is now known as Colin's Pygmy Angelfish. The photo of mine you linked to is actually Centropyge joculator which is known only from Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands.

devilfish likes this.
  6. vogelcommando

Thanks for this information Hix ! I found for C. colini the common English name Cocos Keeling angelfish and when I saw the title of your picture of C. joculator ( Cocos Angelfish ) I was convinced thi Cocos Keeling angelfish. Of course I should have made a double-check but I didn't. Excuse for this :(.
    This example shows us however how important scientific names are !

7. vogelcommando

Part 2 of the species of Dwarf angelfishes ( Centropyge ) in public collections and photos in the Gallery :

12) Centropyge eibli - Black tail angelfish. One of the more common species and in Europe there are at the moment 14 collecions which have this species on display. In the Gallery there are however only very few photos of this species, one of them being this one which I made at Aquazoo Leerdam - Netherlands :
    Red stripe, Black-tailed of Eibl Dwarf Angelfish | ZooChat
    13) Centropyge ferrugata - Rusty angelfish. One of the rarer kept species and at the moment only one collection has it on display - Berlin Zoo. Althrough the Berlin Zoo is well-visited by ZooChatters, sofar no-one photographed and/or uploaded a photo in the Gallery :(.
    14) Centropyge fisheri - Orange angelfish. Another species which is kept at only one collection at the moment - Budapest Tropicarium but from this one there is a photo at the Gallery, made by myself at an aquarium-shop in the Netherlands :
    Fisher's Pygmy Angelfish (Centropyge fisheri) | ZooChat
    15) Centropyge flavipectoralis - Yellow fin angelfish. Not kept anymore in Europe and ZTL only mention one former holder, Budapest Zoo. There are no photos of this species in the Gallery.
    16) Centropyge flavissima - Lemmon peel angelfish. Another of the more commonly kept species and in Europe there are 13 public collections having it at the moment. Several photos of this species in the Gallery like this one, made by Hix :
    Lemonpeel Angelfish | ZooChat
    17) Centropyge heraldi - Yellow angelfish. Quit rare at the moment in Europe with only 4 collections keeping it. There are several pictures of the species in the Gallery like this one, made by myself at a Dutch aquarium-shop :
    Centropyge heraldi | ZooChat
    18) Centropyge hotumattua - Black-eared angelfish. No information about it being kept in public collections and also no photos of it at the Gallery.
    19) Centropyge interrupta - Japanese angelfish. Didn't find any info about public collections keeping this species but devilfish made the only photo of it in Japan - I guess in a animal-shop.
    This photo can be found in the Japan - other Gallery :
    Japanese angelfish, February 2016 | ZooChat
    20) Centropyge joculator - Yellow head angelfish. No information about being kept in public collections but there is one photo in the Gallery under the confusing name Cocos angelfish which Hix made in the wild :
    Cocos Angelfish | ZooChat
    21) Centropyge loriculus - Flame angelfish. The most commonly kept species of this genus in European zoos and aquariums. No less then 45 places are taking care for it at the moment. There is also a good number of photos in the Gallery like this one which I made at Aquazoo Leerdam - the Netherlands :
    Flame angelfish | ZooChat
    22) Centropyge multicolor - Multicolor angelfish. At the moment kept only at one collection in Europe - Zoo Berlin, but is found now-and-then in the aquarium-fish trade and thats where I made one of the few photos found in the Gallery :
    Centropyge multicolor | ZooChat

To be continued...

8. vogelcommando

Althrough no pictures in the Gallery, I found this short clip of the Cocos Keeling angelfish ( or maybe better Colin's pygmy angelfish ) - Centropyge colini on YouTube :

9. vogelcommando

Part 3 - being the last part of the species-list.

23) Centropyge multispinis - Dusky angelfish. At the moment kept in 2 European public collections but even so I was unable to find a single picture of this species in the Gallery :(.
    24) Centropyge nahackyi - Nahacky angelfish. Didn't find any information of this species being kept at a public collection and also no photos of this one in the Gallery.
    25). Centropyge narcosis - Narc angelfish. Also from this species - again - no notes found of it being kept in any zoo or aquarium and also not represented sofar in the Gallery.
    26) Centropyge nigriocella - Blackspot angelfish. Another species with no records of being kept in a public place and also still no photos of it in the Gallery.
    27) Centropyge nox - Midnight angelfish. A rarely kept species and at the moment only kept in one zoo, the London Zoo. Because this zoo is well-visited by ZooChatters one would expect several photos of it in the Gallery but the only photo sofar ( in the Gallery ) was made in a Dutch
    aquarium-shop :
    Centropyge nox | ZooChat
    28) Centropyge potteri - Russet angelfish. Zootierliste mentions 4 collection which kept this species in the past but at the moment not a single collection with this species. In the Gallery the species is however represented by several photos like this one made by me in an Aquarium-shop :
    Centropyge potteri | ZooChat
    29) Centropyge resplendens - Resplendent angelfish. No information about being kept in zoos or public aquariums and also no photos of this species in the Gallery.
    30) Centropyge shepardi - Mango angelfish. And yet another species for which I was unable to find information about being kept in public collections and also in the Gallery it is still unrepresented.
    31) Centropyge tibicen - Keyhole angelfish. At the moment the species can be found in 5 public collections in Europe and also in the Gallery there are several photos to be found like this one :
    keyhole angelfish (Centropyge tibicen) | ZooChat
    32) Centropyge venusta - Purplemask angelfish. A rarely kept species - at least at zoos - and at the moment only to be found in one Aquarium - Stralsund Aquarium. Also in the Gallery the species is represented by a few photos like this one:
    Venustus angelfish | ZooChat
    33) Centropyge vrolikii - Pearlscale angelfish. A species kept at 6 collections in Europe at the moment and also represented by a good number of photos in the Gallery for example this one :
    Centropyge vrolikii | ZooChat

Resume : 16 species are kept at the moment in Europe and a further 5 species have been kept in public collections in the past.
    In the Gallery sofar 18 species can be found.

Goal of the thread : to collect data about the genus from collections outside Europe because I'm sure in the USA, in the far East and in Australia a good number of species can be found in zoos and aquariums !
    Another goal is that more ZooChatters pay some attention about the fish-collections during their zoo-visits and try to make also some pictures of the fishes they see and to try to find out what they have seen. Examples for this are the Midnight angelfish kept only at London Zoo but sofar nobody made photos of it ( or at least didn't load them up in the Gallery ) and the same is true for the Rusty angelfish which is only kept at Berlin Zoo which is also visited regulary by ZooChatters !
    Also all other news / information about Centropyge-angelfishes can be placed in this thread !

10. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@vogelcommando the species I've seen the most in public aquariums in America is certainly the flame angelfish, C. loriculus. I'll start looking more closely for them. I certainly would have loved to see the Peppermint angelfish at the Waikiki Aquarium, but it didn't arrive until a few months after my visit, and in any case, I was younger and I wouldn't have known it was rare. Great summary of the species!

11. vogelcommando

Thanks jayjds2 ! As you can see the Flame angelfish is also the most commonly-kept species in Europe and thank you for offering your co-operation - exactly what I wanted to reach ! Hopefully many other ZooChatters will follow ;) !

jayjds2 likes this.
  12. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Centropyge narcosis is unlikely to appear in any collection for a while. They are only found in the Cook Islands and at depths of greater than 100 metres. The specific name was given because the divers who collected the first specimen were affected by nitrogen narcosis on the dive.

:p

Hix

13. vogelcommando

Thanks Hix for this extra info. The species has been kept in aquaria and I found this small video of this very nicely colored species :

14. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The first aquarium I've visited since this thread was created was today: John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park Visitor Center and Aquarium. It had only seven tanks, so of course either of the fish species you are tracking were in very low numbers. It was only one species (no butterflyfish):

Cherubfish, C. argi

vogelcommando likes this.
  15. vogelcommando

Devilfish just uploaded the first picture of the Dusky angelfish ( Centropyge mutispinis in the Gallery. He made this photo at the Tokyo Sea Life Park and the photo can be found here :
    Dusky angelfish | ZooChat

16. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

17. vogelcommando

18. vogelcommando

Large scale ( commercial ) breeding of the Two-spined angelfish ( here called Coral beauty angelfish ) - Centropyge bispinosa :

19. vogelcommando

On a visit to Antwerp Zoo on Feb. 3 I was able to discover 2 Dwarf angelfish-species, both kept in the Large Coralfish Tank ( see Large Coralfish Tank | ZooChat ).
    For both species there was no sign and also on ZooTier Liste Antwerp Zoo isn't mentioned as being a keeper. However the now closed Aquatopia had both species and I guess the Aquatopia animals were moved about 500 meters from Aquatopia to the Zoo ( they were really so close together ! ).
    The species seen were :
    Flame angelfish ( see Flame angelfish - Centropyge loriculus | ZooChat )
    Yellow angelfish ( see Yellow angelfish - Centropyge heraldi | ZooChat )

20. vogelcommando

Visited 2 collections which are both well-known for their large fish-collections this week: Artis - Amsterdam Zoo and Burgers Zoo at Arnhem.
    At Burgers Zoo I was able to find 2 species of Dwarf angelfishes :
    -Black-tailed angelfish - Centropyge eibli ( photo sign see Sign Black-tailed angelfish - Centropyge eibli | ZooChat )
    - Key-hole angelfish - Centropyge tibicen - couldn't find a sign of this species but it was there.
    A third species was signed at several aquariums but even so I was unable to find the fish themselfs ( :( ), the Two-spined angelfish ( photo sign see Sign Two-spined angelfish - Centropyge bispinosa | ZooChat ) but evenso its well possible that the species was there because the different aquariums have many hidding-places.
    At Artis - Amsterdam Zoo ) well-known for its huge collection of fish-species I didn't find any Dwarf angelfishes at all and there were also no signs of any at the aquariums :( !