Join our zoo community

Dwarf Elephants

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ZYBen, 20 Jan 2008.

1. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I though this was worth discussing but as elephants dont interest me (i know i am probably the only on on Zoobeat) you all can duscuss it!
    http://www.zoobeat.com/46/2008-01-19-dwarf-variety-elephants-12891/#post34703

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is most likely another fallacy- rather like the giant bull elephants in Nepal that were thought to be some sort of relict mammoths, but weren't.....

3. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm not much for elephants either. I think this dwarf elephant will prove not to be a new species.

4. Pertinax

For very many years now there's been rumour of a third 'species' of African elephant- the so-called 'Pygmy elephant'- that lives deep in the forests of the Congo- adults supposedly only grow to about 6ft at the shoulder. But there's still no scientific evidence to support it at all- its highly likely the elephants concerned are merely babies and young examples of the 'cyclotis'(forest) subspecies.

5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've seen somethibg similar, but I don't remember the source. The author suggested that the so called African pygmy elephants were unusually small forest elephnats, rather like meeting tall people and then short people and making the conclusion they were seperate species. Wasn't Noack's description of Loxodonta africana pumilio based on a young forest elephant?

6. Pertinax

I think so..

I've seen photos of a supposed dwarf elephant(with tusks so it wasn't a baby or very young animal) taken in a forest clearing with egrets in the picture for size comparison. However, it looks like a photo of a smallish forest elephant taken at such an angle that the relative distance between the egret birds and the elephant looks much smaller than it really is. I don't believe in 'dwarf' elephants(or fairies...)

7. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

There are various "mysterious" pygmy elephants reported in Africa as well as in Asia.
    In Asia:
    -the Borneo Elephant, actually not a true "pygmy" in terms of size; an accepted subspecies of the Asian elephant
    PLoS Biology - DNA Analysis Indicates That Asian Elephants Are Native to Borneo and Are Therefore a High Priority for Conservation
    -the mysterious Kalla(a)na mentioned above

In Africa:
    -the water elephant, "Loxodonta fransseni", another cryptid and maybe identical to =
    -the African Pygmy Elephant

There have been several theories proposed what the African Pygmy Elephant could be:
    -a new species ("Loxodonta pumilo")
    -a subspecies/variant of the African Forest Elephant (Loxodonta cyclotis "pumilo")
    -undernourished, orphaned African Forest Elephants
    A few possible "African Pygmy Elephant" specimen, f.e. "Congo" in Hamburg & NYC in the early 20th century, have been displayed in zoos, but so far there has been no generally accpeted conclusion what these animals really represent. So far, the last option is widely accepted.

Status of the so-called African pygmy elephant (Lo...[C R Biol. 2003] - PubMed Result
    Pygmy Elephant

What I would be careful about is mingling reports of hitherto unknown larger animals with stories about fairytale figures. I already mentioned the Cuvier's Rash Dictum in a chat with patrick; one should keep this in mind before abnegating the existence of yet unknown animal species. This doesn't mean that "I want to believe" or a absence of healthy scepticism is correct-on the contrary! However, one has to at least shortly evaluate the case before dismissing it.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2008
  8. Pertinax

The discovery of the Saola(Vu Quang Ox) made me more careful about that...

9. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member