Join our zoo community

East African Plains

Discussion in 'United States' started by lee456, 17 Dec 2010.

Tags:
  1. lee456

lee456 Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has been posted before?, but here is an overview of the Highly Anticipated East Africa Plains at Colombus Zoo:

http://www.pjarchitects.com/Brochure/CZ_East_Africa_Plains.pdf

Notes are that is the plan from 1998 so may of changed. The company contracted to create this Exhibit is the same as the one who created Kilamanjaro Safari at DAK (Maybe why it resembles it in some ways i.e the Pangai Trail location-ish).

Exhibits in the East Africa Plains that are on the plan, but may not come to fruition:

Hyena.
    Cheetah.
    Lion.
    Hunting Dog.
    Hippo.
    Waterbuck.
    Situanga.
    Baboon.
    Rhino (white or black?)
    Elephants.
    A kopje enclosure.
    2 Savannahs
    and a Wooded Savannah.

Zebras and giraffees will return to the zoo and is slated for a 2013-2014 opening.

Does anyone have any more info?

2. lee456

lee456 Well-Known Member

Warthogs.
    Flamingo's.

3. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

New Director has hired a new design firm (PGAV)--still a long way from being designed, much less built.

4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

That was 12 years and three zoo directors ago!

I understand that PGAV is working on a Master Plan, but I wonder whether actual exhibit design for East Africa Plains work has even been assigned or even thought about yet..

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As I understand it lately there has been talk of a new East Africa area in conjunction with the new combo for black rhinos at Columbus. But I SERIOUSLY do doubt the 1998 plans just presented in attachment on here even come close to present plans. Seriously, still in the drawing room .. I guess! ;)

6. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Having talked to people from the zoo and having seen several other plans I can tell you that the plans have changed quite a bit! For one thing the last plan I saw didn't include a bus tour. Everything was seen either from the boat ride or from a walking path, which is a plan I hope they stick with. The last plan I saw was one from around 2005. I'll try and see if I can find it... I might still have it hidden some where on my older computer. The species list hasn't really changed much, even from what I have heard recently. According to people from the zoo they still plan on having several savannahs, including "wet" and "wooded" savannahs, a kopje, a river boat ride, and exhibits for all of the "main" African species (lions, hyenas, hippos, elephants, etc. [Whether this includes the members of "The Big 5" I don't know]) I've also heard rumors that they want to build a Madagascar exhibit outside of the main savannah after it opens.

I have no idea if they have any current or final plans for the African region. Last I heard they still want to strive for a 2014 opening. If they don't have a plan soon I don't know if that'll be plausible. I don't think money is much of an obstacle for Columbus, more of just that they're having a hard time making up their minds.