Join our zoo community

United Kingdom Eden Villa Zoo , Hedon , Hull

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by zoowhosewho, 14 Dec 2019.

1. zoowhosewho

zoowhosewho Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Eden Villa Zoo , Hedon , Hull ....Ran by F C Thorpe.... Importers of Indian , Australian , American and African Birds and Animals ... I can find no other information on this establishment ... this advert comes from Avicultural Magazine 1908

Any ideas ?

FBBird likes this.
  2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I suspect those 'Himalayan Hooded Pigeons' were Snow Pigeons, possibly the ones that T.H.Newman subsequently bred from?

3. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

It seems the word 'Zoo' has been used by many a dealer over the years, and does not mean the place was ever open to the public, or was a zoo in the way users of this site would recognise. These old lists make fascinating reading (especially if they have prices attached!), thank you for posting and for this interesting series. I can remember such price lists being issued in much more recent times, monthly by Ravensden Zoo, and less often either annually or when stock was available by the Wildfowl Trust, Stagsden BG, Kelling Park Aviaries, Norfolk Wildlife Park etc. The last four were formal zoos of course and the first a dealer. I wish I'd kept the price-lists...

Last edited: 14 Dec 2019
    zoowhosewho and TeaLovingDave like this.
  4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Somewhere in the depths of the site, and posted many years ago, I'm fairly sure someone did upload one of the price-lists issued by Ravensden - given that this comment has reminded me about this, I shall have to have a root around to see if I can locate the thread in question; it would be ideal for this new "Zoo History" forum.

On a related note, if anyone is aware of pre-existing threads on the forum which would be suitable for this category feel free to report them so that myself or one of the other moderators can assess them and potentially move them here! I'm going to have a root around in the archives this evening, but I am sure that I will miss things :p

Brum and zoowhosewho like this.
  5. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Thank you TLD. So much has been lost over the years, especially if it was never meant to be retained. Ravensden stopped putting prices on their stock lists many years before they ceased trading, and became completely p.o.a. Norfolk Wildlife Park and the WT sent theirs by post on application, but Stagsden included a price list in their first yellow guide-book (in the autumn at any rate when stock was for sale), and Kellings was shaped to fit in the back page of theirs. Maybe some of the serious guide-book collectors have copies? Graham Dangerfield advertised quite often the the Cage & Avairy...

zoowhosewho likes this.
  6. TeaLovingDave

Just had a preliminary look and moved a number of threads into this sub-forum - I suspect that @zoowhosewho might want to look through some of them to see if there is anything he can add!

Andrew Swales and zoowhosewho like this.
  7. zoowhosewho

zoowhosewho Well-Known Member

I will have a look over the next few days

8. FBBird

i've got one or two Pheasant Trust and Norfolk Wildlife Park price lists around somewhere. I remember Polecats @ £10 each and Lynx @ £200.

zoowhosewho and Andrew Swales like this.
  9. FBBird

Also got a Stagsden one (had some birds from there) and a Graham Dangerfield one.

zoowhosewho and Andrew Swales like this.
  10. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Might have been me. Here's one. I've a bunch more....

Attached Files:

Brum, zoowhosewho and TeaLovingDave like this.
  11. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is a good one.

Attached Files:

Brum, zoowhosewho and TeaLovingDave like this.
  12. TeaLovingDave

Think it was indeed you, as I have a feeling I recognise the Jersey one :) a few nice species on those two stocklists which are either all-but-gone from Europe or (in at least one case) entirely gone.

13. FBBird

Wonderful stuff, like to see more. A school friend of mine bought three Triangular-spotted Pigeons from Jersey around 1972, that had been advertised in Cage & Aviary Birds.