Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Edinburgh Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Dylan, 6 Jan 2018.

1. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In a joint effort between RZSS, the British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA), the Zoological Society of London (ZSL) and other zoos around the world, we’re celebrating a conservation milestone today!

Our senior presenter, Gareth Bennett, has traveled to Tahiti from Edinburgh to release more critically endangered Partula Snails into the wild – this year reaching a grand total of 10,000 snails bred for release.

Snail mail from Edinburgh to Tahiti | Edinburgh Zoo

Brum, Kifaru Bwana and Swampy like this.
  2. Quincey

A few updates from my visit today:

• Female Koala Alinga is currently off show as she has a joey in her pouch.
    • The indoor viewing area to the African Hunting Dogs was closed off due to animals being moved according to the sign on the barrier.
    • The tank as you enter Brilliant Birds has been filled with Banded Archer fish and Green Spotted Puffer fish.
    • The aviary previously housing the Red Fronted Macaw looks close to being ready for it's new residents, whatever they may be.

Brum, pipaluk, britishzoofan and 2 others like this.
  3. Quincey

Kifaru Bwana and littleRedPanda like this.
  4. Quincey

5. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

6. Quincey

7. Scottish Wildcat

Scottish Wildcat Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Around four more wildcat kittens were born recently in addition to the two born over the summer.

14556 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Other pairing?

9. Scottish Wildcat

Scottish Wildcat Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The same parents, which they say probably stems from a domestic gene somewhere in the ancestry

10. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

Confirmed the new houses at the bottom of African Plains is for Pandas

11. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Went to Edinburgh Zoo today.

Building work going on at the foot of the African Plains, which is obviously the Giant Panda exhibit, but they were putting hard standing down at the foot of the hill. I would imagine the walkway which looks down over the plains will be extended to head down to this area.

Koala's are offshow due to Veterinary reasons.

Only one hunting dog left alive and she is spending a lot of the time in her den, and the area which see's into the den is fenced off.

Remaining Sumatran Tiger the keeper said is very old now, but they have two new Tiger's lined up for when she passes away.

There looks to be a exhibit being built behind the Living Links section. There is a lot of wooden frames and climbing poles so I would imagine it is going to be a Monkey of some sort, but the keeper I spoke to couldn't say what was going on there as it's not been revealed yet.

Lorikeets section was closed, don't know why.

There was loads of empty exhibits. Two empty in the Monkey House, the rock face enclosure next to the Wildcat also empty, the last section of the Magic Forest empty. The pen next the Wallaby's empty. No birds in sight up where the bird shows are done. Pen next to the Red Panda's empty and those were just the ones I could remember off the top of my head.

Both Rhino's appeared to be there.

First time I've been when the Giant Panda's were actually actve, both inside and outside.

King Penguin's are no longer allowed to take part in the Penguin Parade as they get tired quickly due to age.

Red Panda enclosure is impressive but they seem to just stay right at the top of the tree's so you struggle to see them.

Window's in Chimp house were minging which made seeing the chimps inside difficult and near impossible to get good photo's.

Saw a few things not seen before, and got some nice photo's. One was a monkey with huge eyes and was mega cute in the Magic forest. Douroucouli or something like that, reminded me of Gizmo from the Gremlins before he touched water!

Keeper I spoke to said there would be a few new additions to the collection within the next year or so and to watch this space, but couldn't confirm too much but advised joining membership as there were some exciting things happening in the next 12 months.

I had an enjoyable day to be honest, it was a bit disappointing that a large number of things I would have liked to have seen were off show and so many empty exhibits, but I got some nice photo's and seeing the Panda's active for the first time for me, made the day worthwhile and was very much the highlight of my day.

Think I'll wait a good few months before I go again, when new exhibits and new additions will be on show and the Panda's have been moved, but not an un-enjoyable day and the weather was glorious. Backs in bits now though after all walking up hill especially with a bad knee at present !

12. VikkiEdinburghZoo

VikkiEdinburghZoo Member

A really informative post, thanks.
    Does anyone know more about the hunting dogs & why the zoo's collection of them has been greatly diminished to now only 1? A little sad :(

13. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Is the remaining hunting dog southern subspecies?
    P.s. When did they get the southern individual?

14. Zooreviewsuk

I can't help you there I'm afraid but I'm sure that one of the more educated people regarding species on here will know.

15. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2 rhinos?
    I thought they only had one?

16. Zooreviewsuk

Unless I saw the same one twice, but there was one outside in the top section then when I had been at Tapirs for 10 minutes went down to the lower house and there was one laying down in there, and I always thought the top paddock led to the top house and bottom paddock to the bottom house ?

17. OkapiaJohnstoni

OkapiaJohnstoni Member 5+ year member

I think that may have been what happened! I was there today and only saw Qabid. It is set up as a single enclosure (although perhaps they will split it initially to accommodate the second rhino when it arrives)

The lorikeets were back open today.

The mudskipper, formally in the Brilliant Birds entrance hall, is now in Wee Beasties. It was quite busy when I was in there due to a touch of rain but I could only see one dwarf natal chameleon. I wondered if anyone knew if the recently arrived females are being kept off show?

The pen next to the wallabies now empty as the kangaroos have been moved to the walk through area.

On the subject of the grey-legged douroucouli, at least two have been moved to the monkey walkthough. Not sure if they have access outside - it was rather dull weather today so quite a lot of the animals opting to stay indoors.

Kifaru Bwana and kiang like this.
  18. OkapiaJohnstoni

OkapiaJohnstoni Member 5+ year member

A couple of bits of news.

Female koala Alinga is - according to signage in the koala enclosure - currently off show for privacy as she has a joey in her pouch.

One of the two female Egyptian vultures has moved to another collection. A male, Ramses, has moved in so there is a prospect of breeding next year.

19. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Did they not have 1:1 Sumatran tigers Jambi & Baginda ? Has one of them passed away ?

My apologies just discovered Baginda died last year

Last edited: 14 Oct 2018
  20. Zooreviewsuk

The female died some time ago. The male is also rather old and has actually been on medication for a while and I would imagine it's only a matter of time until he passes away.

They already have a breeding pair of Sumatran Tigers to come to the collection when he does. That's already bee arranged.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.