Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Edinburgh Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Dylan, 6 Jan 2018.

1. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

“Painted wolf” also seems to be an increasingly popular PC term for this species!

2. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I fail to see how these terms are negative however the specific name pictus is supposed to means painted.

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

i suspect the Painted Hunting Dog Enclosure may be left empty, or at least used for a les sensitive species. They are very worried about the noise from the Works at the old hospital (This area was originally intended for sale under the original master plan.)

Popped in for a couple of hours on Saturday. Nothing new or spectacular. Work underway on the new panda house, both tiger and lions active. All three koalas on show (sleeping!), female panda in off show area, male sitting outdoors crunching bamboo.

All the binturong family were about too.

The lanterns were spectacular!

4. Scottish Wildcat

Scottish Wildcat Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I really hope they don't just let the wild dog enclosure fall by the wayside, it's pretty much the only reason to go down to that section of the zoo, and it would be a shame to just sell it off like that.

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Common sense would suggest they'll use it for the Sun Bears once they (inevitably) return the Panda's

6. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

Negative with the indigenous populations mainly, they are trying to convey the idea that these are not ‘wild’ or ‘hunting’ dogs that may be a threat to livestock. It’s all about image.

I suspect they may leave it empty until the hospital sire works are complete. I also think they may try again to sell it once that happens, as locals may be more favourable to development. It’s interesting they are starting to use the vacant areas to the North and East

Ned likes this.
  7. Daubentoniidae

Daubentoniidae Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to Zootierliste Edinburgh has New Guinea ground cuscus and bateleur eagle, both of which I have never seen there. Does anyone know where they are? Also can someone tell me what part of the zoo the armadillos are in?

8. Scottish Wildcat

But that just adds another question about what will occupy Mercedes' old home!

The Bateleur is part of the Animal Antics presentation, though I've not seen it for quite a while. I assume the cuscus is similarly off show, I have a very vague memory of seeing a cuscus at some kind of member's night around 10 years ago
    The large hairy armadillo is found in the corner of Brilliant Birds (though can be difficult to see), and I believe they use a three-banded armadillo in the same presentations as the Bateleur (though he's quite more common/popular!)

9. Daubentoniidae

Thanks, strange that I've never seen the armadillos because I always visit Brilliant Birds

10. Daubentoniidae

What about some sort of leopard e.g. snow leopard?

11. Scottish Wildcat

I think a leopard could too easily jump over that ditch that separates the bears and the guests, maybe if they raise that barrier and somehow put in a clouded leopard? I don't think they would use a snow leopard since their sister site the Highland Wildlife Park very recently received a pair, and the very nearby competing Five Sister's Zoo is receiving snow leopards as well

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. Daubentoniidae

True. Maybe something more terrestrial then like a hyena / aardwolf. Also are there any plans for any new enclosures where the big cats used to be or is that just wishful thinking?

I think that Edinburgh Zoo has so much potential for both large and small mammal species and so many negleted enclosures or repeating species like the ever popular meerkat. Surely something has to be done about that......?

13. Scottish Wildcat

A hyena might not be a bad shout actually, that same area where the margay lived used to hold an aardwolf.
    The long term plan for the cat's row is for it to be completely demolished for some sort of free-flight aviary for macaws, but that's like very far in the future. I think they could stick with their current 'native' theme and make some habitats for Eurasian badgers, lynx, pine martens, and possibly owls, but I doubt that will happen

Edinburgh Zoo is definitely a lot more lacking than it used to be, which is kind of a talking point on here. Just ten-twelve years ago you could see warthogs, maned wolves, addax, gorillas, olive(?) baboons, and a lot more. But where I think they're lacking nowadays is reptiles, I think all they need is one big one like a crocodilian, monitor, or constrictor snake

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Nearly - Guinea Baboon :)

The long list of oddities which the collection has ceased to keep in the last 8 years (the time since my first visit) is a depressing one indeed - about the only two major arrivals in this time period (not counting species which have also subsequently left) were the Giant Panda and Meerkats, and the latter were a re-acquisition after an interval of a few years rather than a "new" arrival.

15. Daubentoniidae

I reckon that they could easily fit a reptile species like a snake in the interior of the Budongo Trail or something smaller in the Koala Territory like a frilled lizard or tuatara.

And after all this time, I still can't believe that they replaced sea lions with meerkats.

Scottish Wildcat likes this.
  16. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hyenas being added into the ex-Wild Dog enclosure isn't such a bad idea really. After all we could do with another UK zoo housing Striped Hyena since Belfast and Twycross no longer hold them.

Azubaa and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  17. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I don't think this news about Edinburgh Zoo's male giant panda has previously been posted.

Surgery took place on Saturday after tumours were discovered by keepers.

Edinburgh Zoo panda has testicles removed

18. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Well I guess that ends the ever decreasing hope of them ever breeding !

Scottish Wildcat likes this.
  19. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Important to note that the zoo has said the testicular tumours had not been a factor in the failure of the pandas to produce a cub.

20. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Do Edinburgh get to keep (and display?) the removed testicles for the length of the lease?

More seriously, given the hopes for cubs, I wonder if the agreement allows for a swap of males in these circumstances?