Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Edinburgh Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Dylan, 6 Jan 2018.

1. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Cheers, hopefully that means I will get to see him tomorrow.

2. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I might be going tomorrow.

3. agnmeln

See you at the sun bears ;):p !

4. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

0.0.1 Western Grey Kangaroo has been born.

5. Dylan

I thought they had 2.0

6. agnmeln

I didn’t even know they had this species at all, so it’s an even bigger surprise for me.

7. agnmeln

Can anybody tell me where the ocellated turkey is? Last time I was here 18 months ago she was in the aviary behind the top end of the rhino enclosure. Is she still in the zoo? I really want to see her.

8. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

She left the collection lunch time on the 25th December ;)

Only joking, no idea !

Fallax likes this.
  9. agnmeln

Haha, very funny! I’m not a vegetarian by any means, but I literally don’t eat turkey anymore specifically because of my love for this girl.

10. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Personally I like Turkey, but prefer Lamb. I have a couple of pet Lambs too, but when it comes to sending them off to slaughter, it doesn't affect me, it's all part of the circle of life, and I know they had a good life and were well fed and looked after. The fact they were kept as pets before they were used for meat and that doesn't concern me. Rather have them on my farm and rear them for us, than buy from a supermarket where they were kept in small barns with about 30 others.

11. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

But ocellated turkey is not the same than farm domestic turkey, hehe. Of course I would never eat ocellated turkey, they're too rare and magnific :)

12. agnmeln

I don’t even like turkey meat at all - I find it far too dry. I even love common domestic turkeys. There’s a farm a few minutes down the road from where I live and they have free reign and often like to launch themselves at you which is quite entertaining!

13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

A Twitter post dated from January 2017 says "Say g'day to Mia & Hemsworth! These newly arrived Western grey #kangaroos can be seen next to #Wallaby Outback."

14. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Did they really need to add a hashtag for Kangaroos:mad:. Adding a meaningless hashtag is a pet peeve of mine.

15. Quincey

I haven't seen her for quite a while now, I don't think she is still at the zoo.

16. agnmeln

Thank you, I looked everywhere and I couldn’t find her, and there were barely any keepers around to ask - the only keeper I could find was a primate keeper so and she didn’t know.

17. Quincey

Did you enjoy your visit?

18. agnmeln

Yes, I did thank you! It was great to be back for the first time in 18 months after having previously visited so regularly (I was there every fortnight for four months prior to this prolonged break) - it felt like coming home! A lot has changed since I was last there, not all of it for the better. The negative changes were less keeper presence, less animal talks throughout the day, some pathways closed off, some species no longer part of the collection, food seemed to be a lot more expensive and the zoo was very quiet for a dry, mild Saturday. The positive changes were the Giant Lanterns of China, Tiger Tracks, red pandas, Bali starlings and some new pathways that weren’t there before. But I was very happy to be back.

Somnang and Rotana were very active and so I had great opportunities to see them. They were definitely fighting with each other a lot more than they ever did before - it seemed that every time they interacted with each other it turned into a fight. For the first time I noticed that Rotana had a few cuts which were quite obviously inflicted by Somnang (the bear spit all over his fur around the cuts gave that one away). I asked a keeper about progress with any decisions to move one of them on and she was very cagey and reluctant to answer, claiming to know nothing about it and rushing off as soon as she could.

Quincey likes this.
  19. Dylan

Yes. The collection is rather diminished these days.

The turkey is off-show near the flamingos

20. agnmeln

Thank you for letting me know. She has always been one of my favourites. I hope she will be back on show at some point, she’s really special.