Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Edinburgh Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Dylan, 6 Jan 2018.

1. kenspeckle

kenspeckle Active Member

Couple of new planning applications submitted:

A giraffe house & enclosure on the present site of Animal Antics and land to the west.

18/03759/FUL | Erection of a Giraffe House within Edinburgh Zoo. | Edinburgh Zoo 134 Corstorphine Road Edinburgh

And two animal houses on the site of the present nyala stables with a pair of enclosures and a large viewing circuit to the north. Possibly a relocation of the pandas to allow for the redevelopment of the former Corstorphine Hospital building? There was press speculation that the developers might fund such a move to solve the planning issue.

18/03727/FUL | Erection of two single storey animal houses, with visitor access and viewing areas | Edinburgh Zoo 134 Corstorphine Road Edinburgh

Some images here.

2. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good news. I guess the current African plains will now have a question mark over it? This plan makes sense. The two new houses may be for Great Apes?

pipaluk likes this.
  3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

While we're on Geladas, why does no UK zoo house them with Blue-winged Geese, as has apparently been done elsewhere? Maybe there are problems I'm not aware of?
    It's not as if there are many Ethiopian endemics to choose from!

4. kenspeckle

kenspeckle Active Member

Floor plans show blood sleeves incorporated into an off-show den in each building so you'd imagine it must be apes or pandas. The latter just seemed more likely given the recent speculation about a potential relocation.

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Possible reasons; Dudley's live on a steep hill, Colchester's live in a bare rather narrow paddock completely devoid of grass, Howletts don't do birds, WildPlace- only males but they could do it, Edinburgh?

6. Scottish Wildcat

Scottish Wildcat Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Aren't the pandas on a temporary loan though? It seems a bit late to be relocating the pandas now when they have, what, four years left at the zoo? Unless they move them there and replace them with something else once they've gone of course. I feel a bit ignorant but I have to ask, what are blood sleeves? And why the certainty of either apes or pandas?

The giraffe news is great news though! Can't wait to see the species back at Edinburgh, though I hope it doesn't mean an end to Animal Antics

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I googled it and found this, although someone will maybe post a summary of it
    Zoo Atlanta’s Blood Sleeve Design

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wonder what plans exist for the area surrounding the proposed giraffe area.
    It seems the front area may be used for other species (???).

9. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

KB, Those gates run into the paddocks of the former camel house, and if i were to guess and i have been miles wide recently, I would suggest perhaps the zebra and nyala would be moved over from the African plains.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. VikkiEdinburghZoo

VikkiEdinburghZoo Member

Qabid the 2.5 year old rhino from Belgium has arrived at the zoo :) great news but i still question the rhino enclosure hmm.

11. Kifaru Bwana

No, it is not the biggest. I do hope they redevelop part of the upland for GOH rhinos and other Asian wildlife. The Malayan tapir exhbit ain't the best either.

12. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

13. VikkiEdinburghZoo

VikkiEdinburghZoo Member

I still can't believe they used to house the giraffes there back in the day either. More grassland and space is definitely required for GOH I feel. Yes the tapirs definitely need an updated space, stuck in the little old school zoo enclosurer, alot of people aren't even aware that they are there.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. OkapiaJohnstoni

OkapiaJohnstoni Member 5+ year member

The proposed work on the old hospital site means that relocating the pandas has become a possibility. It’s likely that this is part of the planning for that contingency. In fact, I’d be surprised if it’s for anything else given that that plan is for RZSS to deliver one new attraction at Edinburgh each year (ie the new lorikeets aviary for 2018 and giraffes in 2019) and the funding for the panda enclosure would presumably come in part from the hospital site developers as part of an agreement for the zoo to drop their opposition/concerns.

In spite of their limited time left at the zoo, the opportunity after this year’s break (and a possible move) to try and breed the pandas again must appeal. Who knows, a move to a newly designed enclosure may even help.

However, looking to the future, Scottish Wildcat brings to mind a very relevant question. What would be the most likely options for redevelopment of a former panda house (existing or proposed)? Given that the limited term loan is quite common do we know what other zoos have/intend to do?

I hope that those speculating that the zebra and nyala might move up the hill to join giraffes in an African plains mixed exhibit are correct!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They could move the Sun Bears into the current Panda exhibit. Even if they wait until after the hospital conversation is finished

16. Quincey

A few updates from my visit today:

• The Lorikeet walk-through is now open with the Lorikeets in it. There is no opportunity to purchase nectar to feed the birds, I'm not sure if this will change in the future.
    • There is a new aquatic enclosure being prepared as you enter Brilliant Birds, don't know what species will be displayed here.
    • Most of the Gibbons are now back in their original enclosure, only 2 males remain in the Monkey House.
    • The Kangaroo's have been moved into the Wallaby walk-through, their old enclosure is currently empty.
    • The Red Fronted Macaw has been moved into the former Lorikeet Aviary, their old aviary is being refurbished for another species to move in.
    • New Indian Rhino Qabid is being held in the top half of the enclosure as renovations continue in the bottom half.
    • Signs advising that the Animal Antics display will continue until October, so I would assume the building work for the Giraffe house won't start until then.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2018
  17. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Did you notice how many macaws there were?

18. Quincey

I only seen one, but I'm sure they have two?

19. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They had two. She died a while back. They only have one left and are ''looking'' for a new female.

Kifaru Bwana and Quincey like this.
  20. Kifaru Bwana

What is the "regular" spot for the gibbons?

Hard pressed finding this on the current map:
    LINK: Zoo Map | Edinburgh Zoo