Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Guides

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Bwassa, 22 Oct 2009.

1. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

Is Edinburgh the only major UK zoo NOT to produce a guide book?
    Is there a reason for this ?
    Is it because the collection changes every 6 months or so, animals in and out?
    Can anyone help ?

2. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

The book 'Wonders Never Cease' is basically a guide-book with, slightly outdated, information on many of the animals as well as some stuff about the zoo.

3. Simon McGlary

Simon McGlary Well-Known Member

"Wonder Never Cease" was pretty much a look at the past and view to the future and the masterplan. It's very much out of date and being sold at a reduced price in the shop.
    Why not publish a guide book? Well, your third question pretty much answers that one! As we always joke at the zoo, the map should have a disclaimer on it that it was correct when it went to print! Change every 6 months? if only it were that long in some cases! It's what makes Edinburgh so magical!

4. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

That's interesting as the majority of the book is given over to providing information about the animals, with the past and future aspects tacked on either end. However, it has become, as you say, quite outdated.

5. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

"Wonders never cease" was already out of date when it was published! Various animals had already left the zoo by then, eg gorillas, snow leopard......
    ....I think I've just answered my own question there !!:eek: