Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Edinburgh Zoo news 2012 #3

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 6 Jun 2012.

1. Mr Gelada

Mr Gelada Well-Known Member

whats your views on the animals you see as soon as you enter the zoo in other zoos when u go in main entrance its like wow edinburgh seems to lack that

2. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That has already been discussed, I said in my review in August that the entrance area needs a re vamp really, it would be nice just to have a main exhibit in the area taken up by the old sealion pool, skunk enclosure and the disused aviary next door. It doesn't have to be something major, maybe a Marwell style island surrounded by water with some monkeys in the middle, add a few fountains in there.

3. Mr Gelada

Mr Gelada Well-Known Member

when u see other zoo u stand there and look amazed edinburgh needs to do something i like the marwell style island but then again its down to cost factor

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dianas.

I would expect Edinburgh to more likely, have maybe four or five?

Exmoor 'pair' have been the same for a long while now.
    Newquay 0.2 similarly though I didn't know about the failed addition of a male. Do you know when that was?
    Its a pity nowhere wants to take them and start a fresh breeding group. What a waste.:(
    Paignton, or rather the EEP probably, split a good breeding pair and sent the male away, so without a male there is now no current breeding. One of the three offspring (unfortunately a female) born to that pair escaped and didn't live to tell the tale.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2012
  5. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

6. Davef68

The geography of Edinburgh makes it hard, but I suspect that was behind the plan to move the rockhoppers into the old sealion pool (I was surprised how shallow that was when I saw it empty last week). Penguins are probably the most active animals in the zoo.

I seem to recall one of the redevelopment plans was to move the main entrance to the top of the car park, next to Budungo, but that fell by the wayside when they lost the planning appeal.

7. Fergie

Fergie Well-Known Member

Apologies, it was indeed the baby L'hoests that I meant. The diana and l'hoest were housed right beside each other.

8. Davef68

We made the same mistake initially, until our 9 year old pointed out the signs!!

9. Pertinax

Well they were until the breeding pair were split up and the male sent to Parken (or somewhere) in Sweden. Then one of the young females escaped and had to be destroyed.

That leaves mother and 1.1.(?) offspring at present I believe unless a new male has arrived, but knowing the enormous lengths of time these moves take I rather doubt it.

10. Dicerorhinus

Dicerorhinus Well-Known Member

Dianas

There are sexually mature animals all-over Europe which need to be moved so unfortunately it's not just Newquay and Exmoor.
    I believe the Male from Paignton was sent to the USA.
    Can you tell me more about the escape at Paignton (through PM if needs be)? I have only heard about a Colobus escape from the same complex.

I don't think there have been any Diana births in the UK since 2009/2010. A real shame there isn't more of an effort from the studbook keeper to encourage moves and if necessary to recruit new members.

11. Pertinax

I think/thought he went to Parken in Sweden.

Agree with latter comment.;)

12. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Cotswold have just the one male left all the rest went to South Africa!

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Having had a check through my photos, it appears I somehow got Diana guenons and Barbary macaques mixed up in my memory :p mea culpa.

14. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Parken's stock came from Drusillas (although I'm sure the former has also gone out of them since then)

15. Dicerorhinus

Dicerorhinus Well-Known Member

You are correct on both counts. The pair were at Colchester before Drusillas so have had a rather unstable time of it. I believe they're now considered postreproductive.

If, in ten years time Diana Guenons are where Hamlyns Guenons are today someone will have some explaining to do. Or not...

16. Tunanta

Tunanta Well-Known Member

They were sulawesi bear cuscus, seen on buton island while volunteering. It was in 2005, the summer of my first year at uni. It was great, saw so much without even trying which was good as it was my first solo travels + I really didn't have a clue! I would be a lot more aware now, especially with birds.

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

bear cuscus are the best cuscus to see! I've seen bear cuscus and Sulawesi dwarf cuscus.

18. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

escapes....?

Are you guys saying there has been two 'escapes' from Monkey Heights resulting in the death of one or two juvenile monkeys? Not surprised the media didn't get hold of it but that is disgraceful in modern times.

19. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can't see this area being themed around the Philippines, more a general Islands of Asia theme.
    Where have the bongo gone to?

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member