Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Edinburgh Zoo news 2012 #3

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 6 Jun 2012.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The species are great breeders - of the less commonly-held marsupial species in the UK, I suspect this is the one with the most secure future when compared to species such as the Woylie or the Agile Wallaby.

In point of fact, one of the species I named, the Woylie, is the species I have seen which I think is likely to be the first to go extinct in my lifetime, considering the population has dropped by over 90% in the past decade.

2. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is a sign up at cat row for a female Clouded Leopard. She must be from a UK collection as there is not a quarantine sign up.
    Although the enclosure had a 'no animal in this enclosure sign'.

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Interesting - which enclosure? Was it one of the two vacant enclosures at the bottom of cat row, or one of the long-occupied ones?

As I recall, going up the hill the enclosures are:

Vacant
    Vacant
    Golden Cat
    Amur Leopard
    Amur Leopard
    Jaguar
    Jaguar
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Golden Cat

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

YAY! What a gem to enter the collection!:)

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any updates on whether this transfer is still expected to go ahead or not??

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

interesting article about feeding costs:
    Feeding time at Edinburgh zoo costs £1,400 a day - Top stories - Scotsman.com

7. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Who'd a thought a veggie diet would be o much more expensive.

8. Mr Gelada

Mr Gelada Well-Known Member

have the darwins rhea moved in with the vincuna does anyone know whats in their old enclosure at front of the zoo

9. cracker

cracker Well-Known Member

I think it's just one rhea in with the vicuna and the rest are still in the enclosure near the members gate?

10. Mr Gelada

Mr Gelada Well-Known Member

Thank you for that and the Female clouded leopard is now on carnivore row

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

12. orangutan

orangutan Active Member

Has there been any new births of chimps since the new house?

13. Lesley4444

Lesley4444 Well-Known Member

There has been three births since the new chimps arrived... unfortunately none have survived longer than ten days. They have all been produced by two of the new chimp who can from less than favorable background therefore didn't get the experiences to help their mothering instinct. Three of the new girls are pure western chimpanzees (the names at the moment elude me) so they have put one of the "original" hybrid chimp off her contraption in hope she becomes pregnant to "teach" the others.

The first infant born survived five days.. the first time mum carried it strangely... tho when they did a post mortum the baby did have milk in its stomach... i cannot remember the exact cause of death of this little one.

The second infant born was still born.. an this was to another first time mum.

The third infant was born from the first female and this time the infant lasted ten days.. however this time she was caring for it much better...she was carrying it better and was being more attentive and natural. However then came in one morning and found the baby on the floor and it was found to have died from a head injury. The keepers and vets really dont have any idea what happened to cause it.

So the prospect of having baby chimps in the future for edinburgh look good and i personally think it will be great for the chimps and their superb enclosure. I got this information from their Bundongo and Living links talks. Unforunately i didnt take a pen or paper that night so didnt manage to get down all the details but hopefully other members that attended that night might be able to fill in the blanks

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They do need some babies growing up in the group to make it both socially more complete and for the longerterm future of the group too.

Does anyone know if all the(pure) Western females from the Dutch group are being encouraged to breed, or only some of them? Did one female from this group die, or was it a male?

15. Lesley4444

There are three females from the new group that are being encouraged to breed. Two have since been pregnant since coming to Edinburgh Zoo... one has had a still born.. and the other has had two infants but both died at 5 then 10days. The third has not been pregnant as far as they know.

It was a male from the new group that was lost. He was having an op and died under anesthetic. He had alot of medical issues that were not known at the time and only picked up on post mortem. They were not known as these new chimps have laboratory backgrounds so their medical history is not well known

16. Lesley4444

Oh and the zoo is also close today till atleast midday due to weather

17. Pertinax

Any idea why they aren't trying to breed from the other two? as I believe all of the newer group are pure Westerns.

18. Lesley4444

As far as I know (what was said at the talk a month ago) these three are the only pure western chimps. So I am assuming that they have done genetic testing to figure that out the others were not pure? That wasn't mentioned.

19. Pertinax

AFAIK the whole group from Holland were supposed to be pure West Africans, but maybe as you suggest tests have since revaled that wasn't so. But its not too serious as it only needs two or three females to breed successfully to give them youngsters in the group.

20. Tunanta

Tunanta Well-Known Member

More female king penguins is excellent news (though I know it was hinted at before)-I would love to see them breed at Edinburgh while I am up here. I am rather looking forward to having the penguin exhibit back in action, just a shame its looking like they won't all be back before christmas as previously planned. The new females with the increased chance of breeding makes up for that though.

Re the chimps-I agree I think it looks hopeful that there will be some breeding success in the next few years and it will be all the better if it is parent-reared youngsters, so good on the zoo for being patient with the new mums and giving them the chance to learn how to do it.