Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Edinburgh Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by snowleopard, 24 Jan 2013.

1. Lesley4444

Lesley4444 Well-Known Member

Her vocalisations towards him tho in the pone hand were good. At the same time she was showing aggression and was not wanting to mate.

Both pandas have breed before but as far as I know or remember those times were both ai. Not from natural breeding in either case.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That could be a crucial factor then.;) I had presumed that as both were proven breeders(though I believe not with each other) that this was by natural matings, which appears not to be the case. Its odd if the female was making aggressive overtures, as she seemed to like him last year when they were put together. There's nothing simple with Pandas.

Last edited: 22 Apr 2013
  3. Tunanta

Tunanta Well-Known Member

Just seen they used sperm from a different male panda-Bao Bao who used to be in Berlin? I saw it in a reply to a comment on the zoo's facebook earlier (fair few negative comments about the AI decision on there too), but just seen it in the headlines for the local news (Reporting Scotland on BBC). Will watch the story and see if it has any further info, but anyone know more about Bao Bao?

4. Tunanta

Here we go-last panda in London, wild caught with no cubs so very important genetically, died last year at 34-all from interview with Iain Valentine on Reporting Scotland.

He also said Tian Tian was still making aggressive calls so they were recommended to not introduce them.

5. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

Last edited: 22 Apr 2013
  6. Tunanta

Oh and news story & facebook comment suggest any cubs could be Yang Guangs' still, so guess they used sperm from both for the AI-facebook comment from Zoo says they will test to see who the sire is.

7. pandagirlvienna

pandagirlvienna Active Member 10+ year member

Bao Bao born 1978 in China. Lived in Berlin Zoo 1980- 2012 until he died at the age of 34 in August. Was loaned to London Zoo 1991-93. He was quite a character !

8. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bird news from the blog.

Last week a new young black stork female arrived from Chester; she is currently housed with an East African crowned crane down in the aviary west of the lower duck ponds. A Madagascar teal female also came to us from Cornwall; currently in standard quarantine, she will go on display in the near future. Other news from our bird team is that our pair of cassowaries have been showing some breeding behaviour and are in with each other at present – so far, so good.

9. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Re pandas, the day I was there (Friday, April 19) there were several media cameras because they thought the pandas were about to mate. (It was also apparently the first sunny day in months and the zoo was insanely crowded with visitors). The female was staying inside but the male was on exhibit and was doing extensive scent marking. I have a shot of him doing the handstand marking, where he sticks his rear high up on something (in this case a wall) to rub the scent as high as possible. I will post some photos when I get around to it.

10. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

Paid a quick visit to the Zoo on Monday - niceday and quite a few of the animals were out enjoying the sun, although the Clouded leopard remains elusive!!

The Yellow Breasted capuchins (2) and Red Breasted Lemurs (1) in the monkey house have had babies, the lemur in particular was tiny - born in May!

Didn't notice too much else new or different, although the Penguin Pool underwater is no longer a sparkling blue, but has a nice green algal growth.

11. kiang

3 rock hyrax have been born, with another female currently pregnant.

12. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are the rock hyrax on display at Edinburgh, if so, could you jog my memory as to where? I don't remember seeing any in August!

13. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

They were on display in the monkey house a year or so ago.

14. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They are adjacent to the gelada baboons, when I visited in November the viewing was quite bad.

15. Tunanta

I think they are back in that rocky pit area (no idea what it was originally or what its called) where the gentoos were kept during the penguin rock revamp, where they were previously. The enclosure by the geladas was only ever a temporary home for them, hence the bad view (I think it's maybe meant to be an off-show enclosure these days?).

16. cracker

cracker Well-Known Member

that used to be barbary rock, where the barbary macaques were kept. I think the hyrax are a good use of this exhibit.

17. kiang

I agree it is a cracking enclosure for hyrax, but for Joe public, i think there are better uses for it.

18. Tunanta

I was at the zoo yesterday. The main news was the first penguin chick has hatched-a Gentoo, suspected to have hatched yesterday morning. Saw it get fed in the afternoon and also managed to catch up with the baby lemur and the hyrax (just about). I agree its a great enclosure for them & yesterday at least they seemed to get a bit of attention from the public, presumably as one was running around the rocks quite a bit. Thanks for the info on the enclosure Cracker.

The people behind spy in the huddle were at the zoo with some of the rockhopper cams-one joined in the penguin parade but didn't get far.

Not much other news, a few things have moved around since I was last there e.g. pelicans back in the duck ponds, but nothing of note. I saw a painted dog is separate, I think it may have been last time I was there too-it was running around the little separate outdoor area briefly when some of the others were out in the main enclosure. And no sign of the clouded leopard, even after 6pm. Maybe people will have some luck on the zoo lates?

19. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Guessing the ex-wolverine enclosures are still vacant?

20. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

On the zoo map on the website it lists yellow-footed rock wallaby near koala! Do the zoo keep this species? If so I missed any news on their arrival! :)