Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Edinburgh Zoo News 2014

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 9 Jan 2014.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is a pity that this idea that new exhibits must all be multi-million/ state of the art seems to be spreading. It really doesn't have to be that way.

Yes, Cheetah is the obvious possibility as being the cheapest to house. IMO its also the most boring in captivity and probably the least suited to public exhibition.

2. RicaFan

RicaFan Well-Known Member

ah have tae go quiet now cause the heats too much but from what ah understand, this topic is known about but the ceo couldnae care less aboot it, and he is aware of just how many members are upset but doesn't care about them, reportedly. although his backtracking and pandering is interesting

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Amazing how your accent has been getting stronger post by post :p

Considering how fond I am of Edinburgh Zoo, I dearly hope things take a turn from the course they seem set on...... but my hope is fading.

4. RicaFan

RicaFan Well-Known Member

aye, well gotta do what I can ;) but yeah things are going downhill fast and it seems no-one in management cares, aye between the pandas and the massive amount of execs we have we must be bleeding money

5. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

Tis a pity that there is no members association that could generate some concern; last time we had an EGM/Vote of no confidence it stirred things up - perhaps Prof West needs to be reminded of that.

6. Animal Friendly

Animal Friendly Well-Known Member

Edinburgh Zoo and everyone concerned with it wants to be careful, the way things appear to be going there it could easily become another Glasgow.

7. Davef68

Visited the zoo yesterday (Fife school holidays) and it was very quiet (Presumably because most of the other Scottish schools are back!). Fortunately, the animals were pretty active!

Main purpose was to say 'cheerio' to the big cat row, and three out of four were very active, the jaguars quite actively calling (and Rica came down to say hello/goodbye, there are few experiences like being soul gazed by a Jaguar!). The Golden Cat remained elusive :).

There was work going on in the tiger enclosure, but Tibor was active in the side enclosure.

In the lion enclosure, Jayendra was VERY interested in 'something' in the offshow enclosure, and was roaring spectacularly in the afternoon. Hope the intors go well!

Margays now occupy both the former Golden Cat enclosure next to the sun bear and the left hand enclosure in the adjacent small carnivore house (Dwarf Mongoose still in the right hand one). Not sure if these are still separate or there is a connection. No sign of the cats when we were there, but good to see them back on show.

Notes from elsewhere:

Koalas are all now separated, with what I think is Yooranah in the enclosure he was born in (Former aviary section) - certainly seemed smaller than the others, and seemed to have different nose markings from Alinga. He was the most active I have seen a koala, moving about, eating and generally looking cute!

Painted Dogs indoor area was closed to public - hopefully a good sign.

Pandas - because the zoo was so quiet, we thought we would chance our arm and see if we could get in without a pre-booked slot - turned out they were so quiet we were able to get in and spend as long as we wanted, which was good because both bears were doing something other than sleeping!

Chimps - it was fascinating watching the interactions between the group and the baby, it has added a new dynamic to the group. Going by some of the other chimp behaviour, he may not be the last baby either! Creepy-crawly exhibition in Budongo was good as well!

One other interesting note - there appears to be a new sign in the middle of the duck pond area!

8. cracker

cracker Well-Known Member

The chimp baby is just great to watch, very nice to see the interactions with him and his mum and the others when she allows it!

9. Davef68

meant to say, African Plains was empty, although I think I saw a zebra in the stable area!

10. Davef68

Heard a whisper that more species may be going. Pudu and Wallabies mentioned. Looks like the lesser Malayan chevrotains have also left, they are off the website. (cached link)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ttractions/animals/lesser-malayan-chevrotain/

On a positive note, the Mudskippers, Puffer fish, Archer fish in Brilliant Birds are on the website!

Edinburgh Zoo - Mudskipper

One thing I forgot to mention is that the former Bush Dog enclosure next to the Penguins appears to be being turned into another garden area

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The signage was still up for the Chevrotains yesterday.. although I didn't see one. All big cats also still in place (even the Golden cat made an appearance for me!)

12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Be a downright shame if the Swamp Wallabies were got rid of, considering Edinburgh has one of the best breeding records with the species in Europe......

13. Davef68

14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Some of the latest developments at Edinburgh Zoo are of the puzzling kind. Cannot say I am impressed with the new directorship and where Edinburgh Zoo is heading. Too much stagnation, to much business manager management, too little zoo manager in charge and a zoo collection imploding quality wise.

The zoo should be out fundraising for some of the real priorities (carnivores, Primate House), creating local support for redevelopment as opposed to transferring out species all the time and creating more vacant animal exhibits. It leaves on visitors' an impression of a zoo in decline. Further, like HWP it should try harder to attain ascendency and create a positive feel about the zoo in general.

15. Davef68

Two words - panda moneysink.

16. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The jaguar are now in Dierenpark Emmen, waiting for their new enclosure to be finished in Artis Amsterdam, where they will move next year.

17. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Is it only possible to get into the Pandas by pre booking a slot, or can you grab a vacant spot on the day?

No worries, just seen there are limited walk up tkts :)

Last edited: 2 Dec 2014
  18. Tunanta

Tunanta Well-Known Member

Had a visit this weekend, showing a friend around so didn't get around everything but a couple of things I noticed that I'm not sure have been mentioned on here:
    -Meerkat house looks quite complete so I would imagine they will be back in the new enclosure soon.
    -Imperial pied pigeons in brilliant birds
    -There is a second female banteng in with the group now

19. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member