Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Edinburgh Zoo News 2014

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 9 Jan 2014.

1. solari27

solari27 Active Member

I also visited the zoo today and with regards to the new meerkat enclosure I agree it looks bigger than I was expecting. Was disappointed when the sealions left but there is an opportunity now at the entrance to give a good first impression of the zoo to visitors.IMO not enough is made of the area around the duck ponds.As for the zoo overall as a member I always enjoy my day there however im a bit concerned about the amount of empty enclosures and underused spaces.Edinburgh is a good place to see the unusual but my worry is the majority of famillies now prefer whats on offer at Blair Drummond.Am I being too pessimistic or does anyone else agree?

2. Smaug giganteus

Smaug giganteus Active Member

I am on holiday next week and was considering visiting the zoo.

I have not been in 3-4 years and apart from the Pandas (of course) I have not seen news of any new additions (species wise) that really interest me!!

What is the reptile collection like? I believe the old reptile house was done away with in favour of the Chimpanzee House.

I would far rather visit the Highland Wildlife Park but it is a little too far to travel at this time of the year.

Best Regards,

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Save Our Sungazers Campaign
    www.saveoursungazers.com
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    European Studbook Foundation
    European Studbook Foundation
    UK Coordinator & Studbook keeper for the Smaug giganteus & Ouroborus cataphractus

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Very small, and almost entirely offshow, I am afraid to say.

I would not let the time of year put you off visiting HWP, incidentally.

4. Smaug giganteus

Thanks for your comments, as a matter of interest, do you know what species they have off show?

Regarding the HWP - I am not worried about the weather once I am there, it is the long drive up to it that puts me off - that and the petrol!!

5. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

Last time I was there the only reptiles I saw on display were a pair of Taiwan Beauty snakes. I have seen tortoises and other snakes on display on occasions.

The last (2013, as at 31/12/12) animal census said there were:

- 3 tortoise species Yellow Footed, Pancake and Egyptian)
    - 2 lizard species (Bearded Dragon and Leopard Gekko)
    - 7 snake species (Royal Python, Egg eating Snake, Corn Snake, Aesculapian Snake, Taiwan Beauty Snake, Californian King Snake and Nelson's Milksnake) held.

I would like to see more reptiles on show/in the collection.

6. Smaug giganteus

Thanks for your reply - very disappointing considering the reptile collection they used to have!!

7. Tunanta

Tunanta Well-Known Member

The leopard gecko are on show-by the indoor viewing for the hunting dogs, so its them and the beauty snakes. I think at the moment they bring some of the off-show species out to budongo as one of the daily events-its in the afternoon sometime, but I've never gone to it myself. It's definitely not currently a good zoo for a reptile enthusiast! Five sisters might be an option depending on what they have on show now following the fire last year?

8. Smaug giganteus

Thanks for your reply - yeah it was a real shame what happened at the Five Sister Zoo. I will have a look on their web site to see whether it is worth a visit now or whether it is best leaving until later in the year.

9. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From the blog;

In an update from the animal section at Edinburgh Zoo, our Darwin’s rhea have now started laying eggs. Rhea are notoriously difficult to successfully breed, so this is excellent progress. We have also welcomed two three-banded armadillos to the collection, which arrived at the Zoo last Friday and are settling in well off show. And finally, the Zoo’s herd of kiang and vicuna have been moved to the fields at the very top of the site in order to allow the lower fields time to regenerate over summer – successful land management is an important yet often overlooked part of animal husbandry for hoofstock species.

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Would the kiang and to some extent also the vicuna not be better off at the Highland Wildlife Park?

How large are both groups (vicuna and kiang) now?

Nice to hear the Darwin's rheas have finally cracked it …
    (kudos to bird team!)

11. TeaLovingDave

As a matter of fact, they do so well at the Highland Wildlife Park that the kiang and vicuna at Edinburgh are actually the "overspill" from HWP producing so many young!

12. kiang

The kiang are overspill, the vicuna at HWP are an all male group, replaced at Edinburgh by a potential breeding pair.

13. TeaLovingDave

Ah, thanks for the minor correction :)

14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for clarifying.

It would be nice to have kiang at more UK collections (Whipsnade, Marwell, YWP, ..) to name but a few places!!!

15. kiang

I agree, as HWP has shown, they make a great mixed exhibit with bactrian camel.

16. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Don't you mind them spitting at you? :p

17. Tunanta

Tunanta Well-Known Member

Warning: the panda breeding season media build up has begun-I woke up to Iain Valentine being interviewed on Radio 4 this morning & news story on BBC website here: BBC News - Mating season approaches for Edinburgh Zoo pandas

Keepers at Edinburgh Zoo have begun a daily monitoring of the UK's giant panda couple as mating season approaches.

The zoo said Tian Tian and Yang Guang were starting to show signs that they are ready to breed.

It is hoped the pair will produce a cub this year after disappointment last time.

They failed to mate in 2013 and although Tian Tian was artificially inseminated she lost her cub.

'Increased interest'
    Panda reproduction is a notoriously tricky process, with females only ovulating once a year.

Iain Valentine from the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland (RZSS), which runs the zoo, said: "Tian Tian and Yang Guang are both in great health and condition and things are progressing nicely.

"The giant pandas are clearly showing an increased interest in one another, both pandas are fairly regularly scent marking now and we've also seen food intake increase in both pandas as they seek to drive their body weight up - all fantastic instinctive pre-breeding behaviours.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

We're currently just waiting for the all-important crossover of hormones in Tian Tian”

Iain Valentine
    Royal Zoological Society of Scotland
    "Similar to last year, alongside our own experts, RZSS is working together with a number of global colleagues on the complex science that goes on behind the scenes.

He added: "Natural mating will be attempted, likely followed by artificial insemination as recommended by our Chinese colleagues."

Tian Tian and Yang Guang are the first giant pandas to live in the UK for 17 years.

They arrived on loan from China in December 2011 and will remain at Edinburgh Zoo for a decade.

Zoo bosses hoped the pair would mate naturally when she came into season but ruled out putting them together last April after assessing Tian Tian's behaviour.

She was inseminated using semen from Yang Guang and frozen semen from Bao Bao, a "genetically important" panda which died in Berlin Zoo the previous year.

Last week experts began the daily monitoring of Tian Tian's hormones which will signal when she is ready to breed.

She will then have a period of just two to three days to get pregnant.

Mr Valentine said: "As of Christmas 2013, we again began to collect urine samples from Tian Tian. These are being picked up and analysed so that we can monitor two key hormones for breeding purposes - progesterone and oestrogen.

"We're currently just waiting for the all-important crossover of hormones in Tian Tian and then when this happens it means breeding is roughly seven to 14 days away.

"This week we moved to analysing Tian Tian's urine samples each day, so it's a case of watch and wait."

The panda gestation period is typically five months and one or two cubs will normally be born.

18. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

More panda breeding news:

Giant panda Tian Tian ready to mate soon, say zoo staff - Telegraph

19. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

And so it begins........

20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've never seen Kiang (admits serious omission...) so it would be nice if one of the Zoos down south took some on-if just for me.;)