Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Edinburgh Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Tunanta, 3 Jan 2015.

1. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

At one point it says it actually isn't a walkthrough, so why are they saying it is? :confused:

2. cracker

cracker Well-Known Member

Because you walk through the exhibit, but have no direct physical contact with the animals, i.e. feeding them etc. which is done at other parks like South Lakes.
    Where does it say "it actually isn't a walkthrough"?

3. Macaw16

So you can't get to them, but your in the enclosure?

4. cracker

What do you mean "get to them?", have you had a look at the photos? You walk through their enclosure, there are glass panels and if they choose it the pelicans can come up to these, if they don't choose to be near there they will be elsewhere in their enclosure.

5. Macaw16

Like in a lemur or wallaby walkthrough, they can't easily get access to the visitor.

6. cracker

I think for safety reasons it's best that they don't, even an accidental swipe with their beaks/bills can give a nasty cut and they are larger than a toddler or even a 5/6 year old.

7. Macaw16

So do I...

I meant they're calling it a walkthrough, when it isn't exactly.

8. cracker

I think that it is if you walk through their enclosure personally..there are many walkthroughs where you have no contact with the animals

9. Macaw16

How do you walkthrough it when the is a fence they couldn't get over?

10. cracker

its just a word but literally it means you can go through their enclosure which you can. Just because they might not be able to get onto the public path (and I'm not 100% sure they can't) it doesn't take away from the fact that you are in their enclosure and walk through it as opposed to walking around it.
    If you don't agree, fair enough, its just the description of a type of exhibit at the end of the day.

11. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Don't forget that London has a famous pelican walk-through: it's called St James's Park :)

Alan

12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From the blog;

We have just sent off more than 100 Partula snails (also known as Polynesian tree snails) to the Zoological Society of London, to be screened as part of our overarching re-release programme. As you may or may not know, the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland has been involved in the conservation of the Partula snail since 1984.

The last remaining individuals of different species of Partula snail were recovered from French Polynesia and the Society has been successfully breeding these since 1986. Most species of Partula snail went extinct as a result of predation by the introduced, carnivorous rosy wolf snail. However through the combined efforts of a number of zoos, we have successfully managed to bring the numbers up for these species, which has allowed us to start re-introducing them back to their native habitat in Tahiti. The Partula Global Species Management Programme is coordinated by ZSL London Zoo and combines the breeding programme for 17 species in 16 different zoos around the world with conservation work in the Polynesian islands. RZSS Edinburgh Zoo was given the very last captive individual of the Partula taeniata simulans variety, which the Zoo then bred back to a safe level of several hundred, as luckily that individual had been fertilised and produced viable young.

13. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So it's not a walk through! Edinburgh can't even get that right!

14. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'll certainly miss those snails.

15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I remember when Bristol Zoo had Pelicans on their lake too, They would stand around on the margins and if people got too close they would just get snapped at with those long bills. The Pelicans were pretty much in charge of their space but I don't remember any problems. Nowadays no doubt it wouldn't be considered 'safe' though to have them free-ranging like that.

16. Macaw16

That's what I meant.

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there's been a lot of posts debating whether the enclosure is walk-through or not walk-through!

Looking at the photos on the link, it clearly appears to not be a walk-through as they have simply used low glass panels instead of low fences (which cost-wise seems sort of silly).

However if the visitor path somehow winds through the enclosure then it is a walk-through, even if the visitors are behind panels. (Although how that would be managed I have no idea because the pelicans would not be able to get from one side to the other, unless that is a visitor bridge in one photo and the pelicans can swim from one side of the visitor path to the other. Still a bit of a stretch to call it a walk-through though).

18. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They'd have to use a Pelican Crossing.,,,,:D

(For the non:-UK folk its a type of road crossing over here that is/was designated for use by children)

19. Junior Friendly

Junior Friendly Active Member

Yes,"pelican crossing", stands for pedestrian, light, controlled.:)

20. Junior Friendly

Junior Friendly Active Member

Are we therefore to assume that perhaps the novelty of "pandamonium" may have worn off a bit, also the annual tale of the female could be pregnant?, just to be expected although just one problem, the huge annual rent for these two animals remains constant.