Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Edinburgh Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Quincey, 31 Dec 2015.

1. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So a great visit over!

Saw a lot but will boil down into six highlights:

- Saw the new tiger enclosure. Looks fantastic, can't wait for it to open. The tunnel especially looks awesome, and is definitely something I've never seen before.

- Saw the Norwegian Royal Guard promote Sir Nils Olav from Colonel to Brigadier! He is also now Baron Nils Olav :)

- Both sun bears Rotana and Somhnang hanging about in a basket, playfighting in the sun

- All three koalas awake, Yabbra especially seemed to be enjoying his eucalyptus

- Saw my faves the chimps. All 18 about, and got talking to a volunteer who was extremely impressed to hear me successfully identify them all and talk about them as if I worked there (I am a huge chimp geek. The horror! :p )

- Both pandas outside and active! Neither out when we arrived for our slot, Yang did come out but only for 30 secs before the hoards of selfie takers and screaming children AND adults scared him off. Came back later (they let you in multiples times depending on visitor numbers if you had no luck at all in previous tries) and saw Yang eating, and then saw Tian Tian for the first time ever!!! Amazing to see both active and eating bamboo :) also she did look a little bit pregnant, but knowing their breeding history don't take my word for it

2. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The tiger extension opens on the 15th of September.

5. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

6. Quincey

I visited today to see the new tiger enclosure (pictures have been uploaded) and was very impressed. The tigers are being kept apart, with the male, Jambi in the new enclosure and the female Baginda in the old enclosures. I'm not sure if this is permanent or if they will swap the tigers over every so often. The new enclosure is a huge improvement, with much more space for the tigers and far superior viewing opportunities for the visitor, a new viewing area has also been created at the top of the old enclosure allowing you to look down into it. I'm sure it was originally scheduled to open in late June so I'm not sure what caused the 2 and half month delay but it was well worth the wait!

7. ShonenJake13

Does anyone know how many lions there are and their names? I believe there are two, and the male is Jayendra, but I don't know if I'm right or what the female(s) is/are called?

8. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You are indeed correct there are 2: Jay was born at Bristol in 2010 and was moved to Edinburgh in 2012. Roberta, the female was born at Magdeburg Zoo in 2013 and moved to Edinburgh in 2014.

9. Ratty

Ratty Member 5+ year member

10. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Planning to visit in a couple of weeks - first time in many years.

What are chances of seeing koala?

Anything else we should look for?

11. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You will see the Koala, but they may not be awake! When I visited last October, the males were asleep on my 3 visits to the house, but the female was active around 2pm.

12. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Of seeing one? Almost certain, barring them all being taken off show for some reason.

Of seeing one do something on the other hand... :D

They're sleepy beasts, but they sleep visibly and if you're able to make a couple of visits to the house you'll likely catch one with its eyes open or eating at some point.

13. ShonenJake13

Chance of seeing koala 100%. If you go when the zoo opens both boys are generally awake (or at least Yabbra is). Goonaroo (the other boy) and Alinga (the female) might not be.

What else to look out for...obviously the pandas! If you look at the panda cam on your phone throughout the day you can time your visit for when Yang Guang the male is outside. If it's still the same as it was during summer they let you in whenever and multiple times throughout the day provided you have booked a slot as during the summer at least (dunno about September) the indoors are locked off so there's a reduced chance of seeing them.

Other highlights are the sun bears, the new tiger enclosure, the penguins and the chimp enclosure. It is one of the best I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot.

14. kiang

1.0 red panda has arrived and is currently housed next to the sun bears.

15. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If they had three male Pandas, instead of one, I am sure things might turn out differently, and without all the unsuccessful A.I. attempts either. Sadly its not possible as the Chinese don't allocate them in more than pairs.

17. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

I still think environmental factors come into play - they (or rather she) just doesn't like/feel comfortable in the enclosure. I have heard they don't like the wind for a start.

18. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A lot of animals don't like wind(humans included) For an animal from a dense Bamboo/Forest environment which is presumably very sheltered a lot of the time, Edinburgh's rather exposed slopes must be rather uncomfortable.

19. kiang

Maybe a roof is what is needed on the outside enclosures, the design with it's high walls all round perhaps took into account the windy location of the zoo.
    I say be a bit bolder, move the pair to HWP for the winter, let them experience a proper winter, deep snow etc, then get them back and paired up.

20. Quincey