Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Edinburgh Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Quincey, 5 Jan 2017.

1. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If all is still correct from my visit in August, it should still have Drill, Yellow-breasted Capuchin, Diana Monkey, Barbary Macaque, Red-bellied Lemur and Crowned Lemur

Dylan likes this.
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I assume this is just off the Jungle Food Court and behind the Pelican ponds, wild dog area and dikdik / vulturine guineafowl exhibits?

Last edited: 11 Dec 2017
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am sure your info is more correct than anything others might be able to offer.

Just the most recent zoo map has only:
    1) Monkey House - Drill, Diana and L'hoest monkeys
    2) The area in front of the Jungle Food Court with Ring-Tailed and Crowned Lemur.
    3) The Barbary Macaque still in the area I asked over in the previous posting.

BTW: As far as their primate exhibits is concerned, I also find the South American primate area with cotton-tops, grey-legged douroucouli and (brown) capuchin monkey in need of a bit of an update.

On the sidelines: a Masterplan - I dunno if it exists - would surely be helpful as I also find that exhibits, species and Continents are hop-scotch, almost haberdashery-like in layout and design.

4. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's correct.

5. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

6. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo's female Sumatran tiger called Baginda has been PTS following age-related health issues. This leaves the zoo with 1:0.

7. Scottish Wildcat

Scottish Wildcat Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sad news about Baginda, but it leaves me wondering what will happen with the smaller tiger enclosure. Obviously they'll probably just stick another female in there, but the keepers really hate that enclosure (and Tiger Tracks as well but that's neither here nor there).

Tiger Tracks should have been built to accommodate the male and female tiger so they could move out of the cat row, but at least having the female in the smaller side is better than having them both in there. The side-enclosure where the females spent most of their time had good height but it was so small, so that's the problem with putting two individuals of any species that need to be separated in that enclosure.

8. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wait, the keepers themselves hate their zoos new tiger enclosure? Why?!

9. Scottish Wildcat

Scottish Wildcat Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Like don't quote me on any of this because it was last year and only one of the older keepers I was speaking too but the basic jist of it is form over function. The tunnel is only there for the 'wow factor' and is a nightmare to clean, even though the Tiger barely ever uses it. The wooden ridges over it for the Tiger to walk on get completely ignored and their paw prints go all over the glass. There was something about the feeding pole being built in an awkward manner so that they'll never use it even if they wanted to.
    The keeper said to me and a few other older visitors that the whole purpose of Tiger Tracks was to get them out of that 'Victorian pit' that is their old exhibit, but even with Tiger Tracks the female is still down there.
    Also on a personal level I just don't like how it looks: the huge wooden indoor house, the ugly green on the tunnel, the type and colour of planting they used. Enclosure designers not taking into account the needs of the keepers seems to be a common thing.

10. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Edinburgh Zoo membership is great value! My partner has been to Chester, Belfast and Colchester using his. And he affixed his own passport photograph to the card at home once received via the post, so no need to have the photograph taken officially at the zoo.