Join our zoo community

EEHV at Chester Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by The Hedgehog, 31 Mar 2021.

1. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Indali Hi-Way the juvenile Asian Elephant survived EEHV,does this mean her body has made antibodies against it? @bintarong ,@Elephant Enthusiast and @Elephantelephant ,can you please answer my question? I guess that Indali does have Antibiotics as EEHV rarely strikes an individual twice and if it does the Elephant in question survives. Farha at Zurich Zoo, Scott at Whipsnade Zoo,Zinda at Dublin Zoo and Tarli at Woburn Safari Park have all survived EEHV without relapsing? Meanwhile Jade and Maliha at St Louis Zoo have both relapsed once and survived.

Is this what Chester Zoo do behind the scenes in an attempt to combat EEHV once and for all?

@bintarong ,@Elephantelephant ,@Elephant Enthusiast what strain of EEHV do the Elephant calves at Chester Zoo contract? Is Indali ,the sole survivor of EEHV,at Chester Zoo now immune to the particular strain of EEHV she contracted? As Chester Zoo now have a treatment plan that works will they utilise the same treatment path should another calf contract EEHV?

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I rather suspect that the answer to your questions is "time will tell" and "none of us are qualified to make such statements". :p

3. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

Chester will certainly use the same treatment as Indali if some calves get sick. I think Indali has a good chance of not having problems with EEHV in the future, because I think there is only one strain of EEHV in Chester and it is probably immune to it. But I can be wrong, it's just my opinion, I'm not an expert.

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can I point out a common misconception: EEHV is a virus disease and so antibiotics are ineffective against it and would only be given if there were a secondary bacterial infection.

JurassicMax and Benosaurus like this.
  5. bintarong

bintarong Well-Known Member

As Elephantelephant mentioned she is probably now immune but that doesn't make her future calves immune. I believe chester did something different with transferring blood from the male to the calf. I remember watching it on secret life of zoo but I could be wrong. If another calf does contract it chester will use either model , probably the one they developed.

6. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I think they meant antibodies as the sentence does not make sense with antibiotics

gentle lemur likes this.
  7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes indeed. Perhaps a spellchecker shares this common misconception too :)

amur leopard likes this.
  8. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

@taun mate your right I did intend to say antibodies but for some reason my IPad wrote antibiotics.