Join our zoo community

Effect of lack of visitors on animals

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Jurek7, 2 May 2020.

1. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I came across an interesting article:
    Animals in zoos 'lonely' without visitors

I think coronavirus lockdown is an interesting change to measure the true effect of visitors on zoo animals. Zoos could at least write down their one-off observations, because the article above is completely the opposite of the paradigm that zoo animals are stressed by visitors.

TheMightyOrca and Coelacanth18 like this.
  2. Paul Kalisch

Paul Kalisch Active Member

The Zoo Leipzig has a television series in form of a documentary, which gets broadcasted weekly and gets uploaded to YouTube aswell. There they describe the effects of missing visitors onto the environment and animals within the zoo, one example is, that the plants in the big tropical hall, the Gondwanaland, are kinda overgrowing the pathways for the visitors and buildings within the tropical house. The free roaming animals are also going on different spots, where they wouldn`t go normally, because of visitors occupying this spot. A lot of the animals are also way more interested in the people walking along the exhibit, for example if someone of the staff happens to walk by. Many other zoos often post currently more often on social media like Instagram, where they show these certain behaviors of animals.

3. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think particularly in the case of naturally curious and social animals they do miss the visitors in a way. Particularly groups like otters, primates, and parrots which frequently engage with visitors to the extent they can. It's enriching for them and keeps them busy. It would be interesting to do a study on how those animals react when visitors are again present and interacting with them.

TheMightyOrca likes this.
  4. ThatOneZooGuy

ThatOneZooGuy Well-Known Member

I know at Denver Zoo there’s an Emu named Ralph who is very curious towards visitors and enjoyed having them around. In response to the lockdown the Zoo set up a sort of campaign for people to send in videos saying “Hi” to Ralph.

nczoofan and Paul Kalisch like this.
  5. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It will be interesting to see how zoo animals respond to when they have visitors again.

6. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Based on a zoo visit yesterday, they couldn't care less...

Pertinax likes this.
  7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Couldn't agree more. I think mainly just a load of publicity rubbish. A few, e.g. Apes, might notice how quiet it is with no visitors, but care or actively miss them? Never.