Join our zoo community

Elche or Benidorm

Discussion in 'Spain' started by AthleticBinturong, 29 Jul 2017.

1. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

With just under a week until I head to Alicante on holidays, I still have not decided which zoo to visit Rio Safari Elche or Terra Natura Benidorm. I'm going with my family so they'd much rather visit the better collection so if anyone that's been to both or has high praise for one could recommend one to me:p

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

a quick look at zootierliste suggests Benidorm has a lot more to see, but do they have what you want to see?
    elche is a bit more open I think, from looking at photos and youtube videos earlier this year

3. AthleticBinturong

I'm into big cats and both have a few, i'm leaning slightly to Benidorm their exhibits seem better

4. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The better impression of the Benidorm exhibits (for me) it's just an illusion. The walk through aviary or the reptile collection are better, but not the big cats enclosures.

5. AthleticBinturong

In general which zoos exhibits are better?

6. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In Benidorm they try to be a Themed Park.

The exhibits for Asia are "camouflaged" like humans buildings (Indian Maraha Palace) for big cats, and intent for "Agrah Red Fort" in the ungulates praire (like blackbuck, barasingas, and axis deers mainly) but others like camel dromedaires and asian elephants too.

In the Central-South America's area, the buildings resembled at pre colombine structures. For me, the best exhibit in this area it's the walk throught aviary. With a good amount of birds, but titis and marmosets too.

The reptile house it's indoor of a fake volcano.

Elche in general, seems a old zoo,that they try to improve...But with a few good exhibits ( not the best yet, but...) for orangutans or white lions.

I hope this can help you. ;)
    Oh! About cats Species: Benidorm has tigers (Sumatran and hybrids from "Bengal") Asiatic lions, ocelots, and black jaguars.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2017
    AthleticBinturong likes this.
  7. AthleticBinturong

Cheers that was really helpul