Join our zoo community

Elephant Enclosures at London and Whipsande Zoo

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by Lewiswill13, 26 Mar 2022.

1. Lewiswill13

Lewiswill13 New Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently undertaking a study regarding elephant enclosures at London and Whipsnade zoo between 1868 and 2017 and I was wondering if someone could help clarify something for me. I am primarily looking at the following enclosures:

1. Elephant house, London Zoo – Anthony Salvin 1868

2. The Elephant House, Whipsnade – Tecton 1935

3. The Casson Pavilion, London Zoo – Casson & Partners 1962-65

4. The centre for elephant care, Whipsnade 2017

One thing which keeps emerging in the archives is an elephant house designed by Tecton for London zoo before the war, in the mid to late 1930s, which was put on hold due to WWII and subsequently the archive states was never actually built, making the next development in elephant enclosure the Casson pavilion in the 60’s. When searching the archives I can find hardly any information regarding the elephant house at Whipsnade, but I keep coming across documentation mentioning the Tecton designs for an elephant enclosure at London zoo. Am I right to assume that these are in fact the same building? And that although the elephant house designed by Tecton was not built in London zoo, it was actually built at Whipsnade in 1935? The timeline seems to add up, however I've not had eyes on the plans in the archive to confirm or deny.

I apologise if this question has been asked before, I did search but I couldn’t find it. Any information would be much appreciated!

2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Whipsnade Zoo Elephant House

I’ve found this design for the plan of the elephant house for Whipsnade Zoo 1935: Whipsnade Zoo: plan of the Elephant House | RIBA pix

[​IMG]

It gives this note: Each of the four Indian elephants was allotted a separate circular unit. The use of top lighting and continuous long windows which could be closed in the winter combined the need for public display with the comfort of the animals. The buildings are relatively small because it was only intended that young elephants should be housed at Whipsnade, the older ones remaining in London. However, larger elephants replaced the original inmates and the Zoo authorities accordingly made some alterations to the buildings.

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. Lewiswill13

Lewiswill13 New Member

Thanks for the reply!

I understand that this is the elephant house by Tecton located at Whipsnade, however, when I look on the zoo archives, it states:

"The existing 1868 Elephant House at London Zoo was demolished and the foundations laid for a new Elephant House; however work stopped in 1939 because of the outbreak of World War II and the Tecton designed Elephant House was never built. A new building designed by Casson Conder and partners was completed in 1965". - link here

This makes me think that the elephant and Whipsnade is not the same elephant house which they are talking about here? again there is another archive entry which discusses the construction of a new elephant house dated 1937-1939 here which would be after the completion of the one at Whipsnade?

4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, the passage in bold refers to the elephant housing situation at London Zoo; physically independent of Whipsnade Zoo, who built their elephant house in 1935. Different buildings, but apparently planning to use the same architect (not uncommon for the time).

5. Lewiswill13

Lewiswill13 New Member

It’s a shame that’s the case as the information on Whipsnade elephant house is very thin on the ground, although there may be more which has not be catalogued yet. There does seem to be a close working relationship between Tecton in both London and Whipsnade. It would definitely be interesting to see how the designs for the elephant houses differed considering the short span of time between them.

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Whipsnade Tecton design was not the one intended for London Zoo. It is worth noting too that Tecton also designed the Dudley Elephant House.

I note that your enquiry does not mention the pre-Salvin elephant house at London, nor the "temporary" elephant accommodation that filled-the-gap during the period from when the Salvin house was demolished and the Casson one was occupied; their is very little precise information recorded about either of these.

The intended London Tecton Elephant House is illustrated in the 1938 Zoological Society of London Official Guide:
    upload_2022-3-28_11-47-59.jpeg

As you will see it is distinctly different from the normally more fluid Tecton style. Interestingly an image of the original 1833 elephant house is also shown. The map shows the new build to be n the site of the Salvin house. The map in next year's guidebook (1939) also shows this as the building site and the text says that the two Indian riding elephants are temporarily housed under the Mappin Terraces. It is not clear if any other elephants were on site but it was clear that the Salvin building was being vacated, if not demolished, by then.

Many will remember the subsequent "temporary" enclosure with its umbrella sun-shade but there is scant information of the housing used for the elephants then. I would be most interested to know if any plans or photographs of it exists.

Rajang-GOAT, twilighter, ZSH and 2 others like this.
  7. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

A few snippets of information about ZSL elephant houses which maybe of interest:
    When London Zoo's Salvin Elephant House opened in the summer of 1869 it contained:
    • two African elephants (one being the famous "Jumbo")
    • two Indian elephants
    • two Indian rhinoceroses
    • one black rhinoceros
    • one Brazilian tapir
    Subsequently it also housed Sumatran rhinoceroses and a Javan rhinoceros; it was, I believe, the only zoo building in the world ever to simultaneously hold four species of rhinoceros.
    It's interesting to note that Whipsnade's Tecton Elephant House didn't originally have an outside enclosure; the outside exhibit, opposite the zoo's entrance, wasn't added until 1965, thirty years after the building was constructed. (Apparently the original intention was that the elephants would spend much of the day giving rides or being walked round the zoo by the keepers so an outdoor enclosure was unnecessary.)

Rajang-GOAT, twilighter and nedpepper like this.
  8. ZSH

ZSH Well-Known Member

I have never seen that Tecton image! Thank you for posting it!

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. Pacu

Pacu Well-Known Member 15+ year member