Join our zoo community

Elephant exhibit

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Asiaticlion2015, 22 Apr 2016.

1. Asiaticlion2015

Asiaticlion2015 Well-Known Member

I have recently started looking into finer detail about elephants in captivity and I'd really love to hear your ideas for an elephant exhibit. You can make it anywhere in the world, you can make it for any species of elephant and you have unlimited money and space.

What you have to include:

Indoor viewing area
    Outdoor viewing area
    Staff facilities
    Educational facilities

But the rest is up to you. Design away

2. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Any species? Extinct or Extant?

3. Asiaticlion2015

Extant please.

4. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I would try to obtain African bush elephants first, because they are less represented in zoos than Asian zoos, and apparently they are less prone to stress in captivity and breed more successfully than Asian elephants. I would love to be established zoo population of Forest elephants (L. cyclotis) but it would be difficult nowadays.

Enclosures will be multi-part, stimulating and reserve/rotating. I will plan enclosures for small elephant herd (maximum 3 adult females), and for holding also up to 2 elephants bulls.

The elephant herd will have 5 x 2,400 m2 outdoor enclosures (probably 30x80 m) (so total enclosure of 12,000 m2 (not 11,600 m2!!) (1.2 hectares)) fenced with double fence, from metal construction with concrete blocks under ground. The heard will stay for about 4 days in each enclosure, and after that will go to next, and the former enclosure (already used) will be proccessed for allowing grass and remaining trees to grow and new trees (willow, olive, Tilia, etc.) will be planted). The trees will can be freely eaten by elephants. Such rotations on each 4 day in all 5 outdoor enclosures. In each there will be also pool and sand/mud bath. - Outdoor viewing area visitors watching from the ground trough the fence, and on tall constructions made of wood (safari lodge).

Each elephant bull will have 2 x 2,400 m2 outdoor enclosure plus possibility to use some of the enclosures for elephant herd, wich will be neighboring. The same principe as for the elephant herd (including double strong fence).

The indoor enclosures mostly will be used durring cold weather. The temperature in them the will stay at about 15 deg C in the coldest days. The heating will include solar panels, mini windmills, gas, electricity and fuel.
    The elephant herd will have indoor enclosures of 4 x 200 m2, with sand, grass, trees, yet rofed with transparent plastics and made of metal construction. The capacity for holding will be maximum 3 adult female elephants (and with their calfs, they can make a herd with up to 9-10 members). - Indoor viewing area, visitors seeing from outside, trough fence and glass, in the inside.
    Each bull will have 2 x 200 m2 indoor enclosures.

Staff facilities - little house, small vet ambulance (for holding some diagnostic instruments, and also potent drugs like opioides for quick immobilisation).

Educational facilities - open under sky or under big umbrellas, with woody seats, lodge etc.

Last edited: 22 Apr 2016
  5. Asiaticlion2015

It's great you've clearly put a lot of effort into it. I love how you chose African Bush elephants instead of Indian elephants. Well done.

6. Nikola Chavkosk

Thank you Asiaticlion2015. Can we know your concept about elephant exhibit? I am interested.

7. Asiaticlion2015

By concept do you mean my idea because if so I will post it tonight or tommorow lunch time.

8. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Like Nikola, I'll design a exhibit for African bush elephants, as African forest elephants and some Asian elephant subspecies are very difficulty to obtain.

OUTDOOR VIEWING AREA:
    The exhibit has a very natural appearance, representing the african savannas (and safari-like archictetures). Some parts of the exhibit have more rocks, others are mountainous, others are flatter, others have more trees, others have higher grass... All for elephants explore.
    Most parts of the exhibit is surrounded by log fences, which can't be seen to have several trees around.
    The guests have several angles to see the elephants: cable cars, safari lodges, separated by water, separated by burrows, bridges... This is one of the only zoos in the world to separate visitors from the elephants by a glass wall (both with view to the land and with view to the water).
    A edge of the exhibit have a big lake, including waterfalls, islands and mud puddles. As mentioned before, guest have a underwater viewing of the elephants.

INDOOR VIEWING AREA:
    If the elephants want only a shade they can stay under large trees or straw umbrellas (or even take a mud bath).
    But if they want to rest, they have a big, confortable, secluded and quiet cave. To guests se the animals they look into small windows, so they can see the animals without stress them.

STAFF FACILITIES:
    Most things are common in other zoos: worker house, veterinary center, food supply, etc... The elephants also have their own compost building.

EDUCATIONAL FACILITIES:
    The elephants have a lot of things to do, as mentioned before. Elephants has two feeding times per day:
    The guest feeding, when guests can a fruit basket in the elephant trunk, 2.00 per basket; and the enrichment feeding, when elephants are challenged to get food (they should use the strength and the intelligence to take the food from containers).
    The babies that can't realize the challenges are fed separately.

9. Asiaticlion2015

Another great idea well done. Very detailed you've given me a lot of ideas for my own. I like the underwater viewing area particularly.

10. FelipeDBKO

Thank you. Despite being quite bizarre, some aquariums and zoos already use this elephant underwater viewing idea.

11. Asiaticlion2015

I have heard about this, it kind of reminds me of shark tunnels in aquariums.

12. Asiaticlion2015

So like everyone else i would use African Bush Elephants as i belive they are easier to relate to in zoos as when people think of elephants the normally think of these.

Entrance: To enter the exhibit you must walk through a wooden carved sign which reads ‘African Bush Elephants’. You then walk up a ramp, this how you get onto the walkway (see further on).

Outdoor viewing area:
    The outdoor part of the exhibit is very large, around 2 acres, you view the exhibit from a raised wooden walkway. On the walkway there are binoculars to view the elephant’s entire exhibit.
    The exhibit is based on an African grassland/savannah. On the left a large area of the exhibit is taken up by the grassland where the elephants can feed. in the centre of the grassland there is a large acacia tree which can be used a shade by the elephants. On the right side of the exhibit there is a large pool that can be used for bathing and playing in and is surrounded by sand. Running along the back of the exhibit are rock outcrops to hide the behind the scenes work of the rest of the zoo. This main outdoor exhibit only houses the calf’s and cows, the exhibit for the bull is off show behind the rocky outcrops but the bull can be viewed from his indoor enclosure.

Indoor viewing area:
    These only have elephants in them when it is cold or work is being done in their exhibit. But if there are elephants in them you view them from ground level. The fences are posts with bars between them ( if you don’t understand the fence, Google Copenhagen Zoo Elephant House and you will see). Visitors are kept 10m away from the fence by a barrier and a zookeeper is on hand to stop people crossing them.

Educational Facilities:
    Signs are shown around the exhibit to tell you about them
    Within the elephant house there is a door into another room which features facts about the elephants as well as information on the poaching of elephants, hopefully i would be able to get my hands on so confiscated tusks too.

Staff Facilities:
    A small staff room, compost heap, food store and a small barn like thing for storing their transportation containers.

That’s my exhibit it’s not the best and still needs work but it was fun to think of. If you want me to draw a schematic of it i will.

13. FelipeDBKO

Nice. I also was thinking in head-pop-up glass in the ground, but I think that this is too much.

14. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member

How would trees do in an elephant enclosure?
    Can you give me some examples of which zoos have trees in elephant enclosures.

15. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member

Calgary Zoo had trees in its enclosure with quite a bit of success.

16. Nikola Chavkosk

I will sacriface the trees just for elephants. Enclosure would be multi-part, allowing grass and trees to grow. Mybe I will isolate trees for several years, to grow high and then elephants to be released in the enclosure with gigh and strong trees.