Join our zoo community

Noah's Ark Zoo Farm Elephant House tour

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ian999, 8 Jun 2014.

1. ian999

ian999 Active Member 10+ year member

Visited Noah's Ark Zoo Farm last Thursday, went to the Elephant house tour which was just one of the keepers telling us about Buta and that they are still waiting the arrival of Nissam who was supposed to have arrived first.
    Went on to say that they expect to have bred there first calf within the next five years, something I cannot see happening.
    Keeper went onto say that sand is 1.5 meters deep and swimming pool is 3.5m deep but Buta has not taken the plunge yet.
    The tour consisted of us being told about the pc training and that some of the doors are remotely controlled by a box of tricks carried by keeper.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I thought the current elephant(s) were there temporarily, or am I confusing it with somewhere else?

3. ian999

ian999 Active Member 10+ year member

No as far as I know you are correct, as I understand the Elephants were only there while Knowsley extended there accomadation.
    Hence why I cannot see them breeding in the next five years.

4. Chlidonias

I wonder if that means they are hoping to keep them at Noahs Ark (rather than send them back to Knowsley); or if they mean breed from whatever ones they can get next; or if it was just happy happy visitor speak.

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A bit of all three perhaps?;)

Still no bull arrival and I do wonder how long they can go on keeping this female- which was removed from a group- on her own without serious critisism starting about her situation there.

6. Chlidonias

I had in my head that a bull was supposed to come from Knowsley as well, later. Is it just the one (female) from Knowsley and then they're back with nothing again when she goes back?

7. Pertinax

That is correct- but it still(afaik) has not arrived three or four months on. There is a problem with transporting him I believe. They evidently took the female rather than have the complex stand empty any longer. People were continually asking when the Elephants were arriving etc. Now they may be asking why she's still alone.

8. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Buta had a calf in 2004, so breeding with her is not completely out of question, but since Nissim never got her (or any other female) pregnant while in Knowsley, I very much doubt he will manage in Noah`s Ark (if he should ever arrive). Since plans often change, Noah`s Ark may indeed have a shot to keep these two permanently, especially if Knowsley can source another bull. however, that`s all uncertain and has nothing to do with the "sanctuary idea" Noah`s Ark first promoted. Keeping Buta alone for months is not compartible with their welfare idea, neither. I don`t know if Buta was well integrated into the Knowsley herd or not, but if she had a friend there, they should have never sent her away on her own. And if Noah`s Ark were as committed to her welfare as they are, they would have never taken her in.

9. Pertinax

I don't know either, but she was presumably within sight and hearing of other Elephants and she isn't now. I suspect NA were desperate at all costs to have at least one Elephant on show, having publicised the exhibit so much. It remains to be seen if the bull really joins her, or if they manage to get some other Elephant as company instead, or even if she stays there long.

I'm sure the stuff about 'breeding Elephants within five years' refers to whatever animals they can get, this one or any others. It still seems unclear whether its a breeding centre, or a rescue or retirement place, or both. Maybe they aren't certain either.

Curiously, the three places in South West England that keep Elephants (Noah's Ark, Longleat and Paignton), each have a single female. Something seems a bit wrong there.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2014
  10. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Duchess is quite old for a African elephant, and only had one eye. Painton don't intend to have any more elephants after she passes away, moving her now and trying to integrate her into another group would probably just stress her out.

Anne at Longleat is also very old and arthritic, and is a rescue from a circus. Neither of them is likely to see 2020. I don't know what Longleats long-term plans are when it comes to elephants, but I doubt they just got Anne because she was available.

I don't know what Noah's Ark are playing at though. Last I heard they have some new technique for making elephants walk into crates, and Nissim doesn't want to.

11. Pertinax

I was just pointing out the strange situation of this 'cluster' of single Elephants in the South West. I wasn't expecting it to change really as the background in each case is rather different.

I'm wondering if they are making any progress with the bull's 'training' or whether moving him is actually next to impossible and they're just trying to put positive spin on it. Its probably nearly a year now since this all started...