Join our zoo community

Elephant kills handler

Discussion in 'United States' started by Arizona Docent, 10 Sep 2014.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Moderator Staff Member

2. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

You beat me to this one. I was just on their website. I had never heard of them either. It looks like they weren't a protected contact facility but I don't know enough so I can't say for sure. I had no idea there was one in Maine either. I hope that this doesn't result in the Elephants being sent to a place like PAWS or the Elephant Sanctuary because I am absolutely not happy with the way those two places are run (I am not satisfied with their bio security measures, among other things).

3. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

They never realize that free contact is dangerous...

4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

WHY would anyone start an elephant facility in Maine???? Was no place more mild available?

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

reading a little, the background is two brothers who used to work in a circus. Later they took on two elephants retired from that circus and moved them to their farm. So it isn't so much an elephant rescue centre, as just a retirement home for those two specific animals.

6. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member

My take on this project is that the man who was now killed wanted his own pet elephant and because he and his brothers were a) friends with the circus people and b) had the money they actually got those two old girls. It was just published on facebook that the elephants will now go back to Carson & Barnes.

7. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

I think when a person is interacting with wild animals (captive or actually out in the wild) and things go fine for a long time, it's kind of easy to let your guard down. Like that guy who got mauled by wild grizzlies, or those people who get mauled by their pet chimps. Something as big as an elephant could easily hurt a person on accident. If a person wants to freely interact with wild animals, whatever, but gotta remember that risk is involved.

8. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I nearly got knocked down last weekend by a horse I have known and worked closely with for the greater part of our respective lives. FYI he was lame (and pathologically lazy) to boot. It is definitely easy to get too comfortable around an animal, even a domestic one that you have known for years. Fortunately he has a good head on his shoulders and swerved at the last second, just at the same time I jumped out of the way (I was finishing a necessary task: checking his water tub). But still...

9. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

True, I should've added large domestic animals to that. Don't a lot of people get hurt by cows? Point is, always be careful around stuff that can easily kill ya.