Join our zoo community

Franklin Zoo (Closed) Elephant Kills Woman at Franklin Zoo

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 25 Apr 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Are you not subscribed to the Darling Downs Daily News, Chlidonias? :D

I can't find anything either, but Mainfreight apparently paid for Mila's barn at Franklin Zoo.

2. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You know my computer limitations and you still expect a link?

Optimist!!

My usually reliable intelligence sources inform me that there is a 3 page story in today's Sunday paper about Neil Graham from Mainfreight and his sponsorship of all things elephant at FZ.

Mr Graham's involvement [and that of his wife] has not been a secret, as alluded to by zooboy28.

The Darling Downs Daily News has yet to run the story - ZooChatters got the scoop!

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I'll assume it's the Sunday Star Times then. Still nothing on the internet that I can see, and I'd be hopeful if I thought I could find a print copy in Hokitika (!). Maybe zooboy28 can find a copy and give us the gist of it.

4. zooboy28

Yea, I can't see it on the Herald on Sunday website, and I think I flicked through the Sunday News at work today and didn't see anything relevant. Will see if I can find a copy of Sunday Star Times tomorrow.

5. frankwilliam

frankwilliam Well-Known Member

yes i saw the article on Neil Graham in the sunday paper HERALD on SUNDAY .He discloses that he hsa generously given a lot of money to jumbo , it might interest you to know that his Company has already shipped jumbo with Tony from CHRISTCHURCH to AUCKLAND return '

6. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am still very interested, but new information is hard to get.
    Do you have any more news on anything happening, as the media seems to have lost interest.

7. zooboy28

New article today, an elephant carer has been hired.

Story Link: Franklin Zoo | Carer Hired For Mila The Elephant | Stuff.co.nz

So looks like Mila won't be going anywhere anytime soon, and the fundraising will continue.

8. chip

chip Well-Known Member

Why not let the Elephant decide?:)

9. Monty

Frank, are you or Tony contacting the media when they print these stories and giving the alternate story. It seems to me that the media do not doubt what the woman in charge now tells them. The media love conflict as it sells papers. I would have thought that they would want to print the other side. If people in NZ are only hearing one side of the story some thing needs to be done.

10. Monty

From what I have seen journalists are fairly lazy. If someone gives them a story which appears to be true and they don't think they will be sued for deformation they will print it. If you or anybody else wrote down the facts as you see them and how and emailed it to the paper they would likely print your side. They would ring you first to check out your story, and as I wrote earlier conflict sells papers.

You have to get your side in the papers as that is what Jenny Chung is doing. I can see the headlines now "Chung Milking Elephant for all she can get"

11. Steve Robinson

Recover from what?

Helen's own words upon Jumbo's arrival at Franklin Zoo ...... "We have a healthy elephant here".

12. Monty

You have to contact the papers giving only one side of the story. As I have said journalists are lazy and are not bothering doing any work on this story, they are just printing press releases put out by whoever has the elephant now.

13. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Couple of articles on the subject....

Article one mainly covers the hiring of the new Elephant Manager from the United States and mentions that if everything goes to plan then Mila is expected to be shipped in March or April next year

14. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm getting rather sick of frankwilliam posting basically the same message every week. How about letting the people you mentioned speak for themselves? As far as I know, Bruce Ireland was let go because Franklin Zoo, being a Charitable Trust, could no longer afford to employ a senior zookeeper. Peter Stroud never mentioned in any interviews that I have seen since Helen's death that he has been treated badly. Anyway, his purpose of being involved was to design the enclosure. And what did he do? Just that. I heard that Laurie Pond was only there to help Franklin Zoo get started with caring for Mila, and what did he do? Again, just that (and again, I have not heard him say that he was badly treated).

Are any of the Auckland Zoo elephant keepers actually caring for Mila? I thought it was only Kevin Buley, Life Sciences Manager for Auckland Zoo.

15. Monty

What are you sick of, hearing a view which differs to yours. Its called freedom of speech.

Those people are free to post their side as well as Frank.

I am glad Frank posts his side, and just hope media organisations will print another view to Jenny Chung's. Reading articles on the internet they all sound like they come from press releases released by Jenny Chung and they are not looking any more to the story.

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

in fairness, most of Frank William's posts really are just repeating more-or-less the same thing over and over again.

17. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well actually, I posted on ZooChat the press release/statement made by Tony Ratcliffe just after Helen died.
    [URL="https://www.zoochat.com/community/posts/578497[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2016
  18. chip

chip Well-Known Member

I find the whole saga very sad, for Jumbo and Tony.

It merely confirms the opinion I had of the way New Zealand is run.

Behind the times in everything.

19. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Erin Ivory has previously worked at the San Diego Animal Park as senior keeper with their breeding herd of 15+ elephants, including two adult bulls. Rest assured that she has enough experience to safely work with dangerous elephants. The gender of the keeper/trainer/caregiver is not relevent in modern (=protected) elephant management, even if circus people have a hard time believing it!

20. Steve Robinson

We have all had our say in one of the longest single-issue threads on ZooChat. Time now to let the chosen person get on with the job and, for those in a position to do so, to give her any support needed to accomplish her job with the best possible outcome for Jumbo.

Like many, many people I believe that the best course for the elephant and for the poor old public who are continually being slugged to pay for this exercise, would have been to let the Ratcliffes do the job - it would all have been safely accomplished by now. However, that was not our call to make.

The appropriately named Ms Ivory does exist, she is now on the job and she has a reasonable enough CV - although apparently not much experience with Africans. As she will not be permitted to work FC with Jumbo, that should not be an insurmountable problem.

Of some intrigue is the statement, that has been made several times in New Zealand, that an end destination in America has not yet been decided for the elephant. Apparently PAWS is not a done deal.

Those of us who have Jumbo's welfare at heart will all be hoping and praying for a successful conclusion to this saga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.