Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park Elephant Pregnancy Scoop!

Discussion in 'United States' started by Zoogoer2000, 18 Jun 2009.

1. JaxElephant

JaxElephant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That baby is so cute, he is so adventurous isn't he

2. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

Male elephant born last night at SDWAP.

3. joshgrossglaza

joshgrossglaza Well-Known Member

I know! I'm so exited!:D

4. CritterBlog

CritterBlog Well-Known Member

5. JaxElephant

JaxElephant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Oh, you beat me too it :p

7. Zoogoer2000

So, I since there is some news that has been reported about the elephants in the other SDWAP forums, just thought i'd post all the info here (This info is not confirmed by SDWAP at all, people just claim to know this info and it sounds fairly legitamate)

Umoya had her calf on May 13, another male (4th male in a row, this is her second calf)

Litsemba (Samba) is pregnant again and due to give birth next February

Again, not officially confirmed

8. Zoogoer2000

I have just asked if this info can be confirmed in the elephant blog comments on the sdz website, hoepfully we will get an awnser from a moderator/worker

9. Zoogoer2000

I have confirmation from San Diego zoo that YES , Umoya had a male calf born on May 13, 2010 :)

I also asked about Samba's pregancy, and although the moderator did not directly say Samba was pregnant ... I do have confirmationt that there is also another calf on the way, due to be born later in 2010

10. CritterBlog

CritterBlog Well-Known Member

Re: Moya's calf

Public Relations responds: There was a complication surrounding our latest
    youngster’s birth. Mom and baby appear to be doing fine now but are being closely watched. We hope to have more information directly from the animal care staff soon.

11. polar bear

polar bear Well-Known Member

Another pregnancy

I was at the WAP yesterday and the keepers confirmed that Umgani is pregnant again. Due sometime in 2011 (I was only half listening, but my guess is late 2011). The keeper also said Lungile was definitely not pregnant at this time.

Also, they have finally named Swazi's calf. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name, but someone who posts in the blogs might want to ask. I keep hearing conflicting information about when Moya's calf is to be named. Sometimes I'm told later this this month, and then I also hear that there will be a naming contest in September, although that seems a little long to wait to name the calf.

12. Zoogoer2000

So the current confiremed pregnancies are

Litsemba - early 2011

Umgani - late 2011?

Umgani is a very fertile female, she gave birth to Khosi in late 2006, Ingadze in early 2009 and now she expecting another calf in late 2011! So thats three calves in 6 years :O :)

13. Zoogoer2000

Just got back from the SDWAP/SDZ blogs, just some news about the elephants from a new blog post...

Swazi's calf has been named eMacembe La Lu Hlata (Macembe for short :p ) after a zoo donor

Umoya's newest calf is due to be named in a naming contest hosted on the website. It runs from July 12 - 25 where you can suggest a name at this link African Summer Festival: Name the Elephant Calf

In August, they will put together a compilation of names for people to vote on and the winner will be decided = the calf's name

14. polar bear

polar bear Well-Known Member

"Swazi's calf has been named eMacembe La Lu Hlata"

Thanks for following up the the name of the calf Zoogoer2000. That's quite a mouthful. Now I don't feel so bad in not remembering his name. :)

15. joshgrossglaza

No, all they have to do is find elephants not related to the parks elephants. And will all the elephants in zoos around the world, the list is WIDE open

16. joshgrossglaza

Don't forget that Elephant Overlook is the best elephant exhibit in the world :D:D:D

15 african elephants at the park, the babies now out number the adults (LOL) and who wouldn't LOVE to show PETA the exhibit and get them thrown in jail?

"The exhibit is very small"; Dumbass, it's like, 5 acres or something like that
    "The animals were captured from the wild"; Yes, they were captured, but for a VERY good and life threatning reason
    "The elephants would be roaming across Africa"; They would be roaming across their death and bones
    "The elephants would have lived much longer in the wild"; *******, if they were still in Swaziland, they would be dead.
    "The elehants are mistread": I'm sure the elephants are thinking, "this is the life!"

Finally, for everyone, POP QUIZ!
    Why did the San Diego Wild Animal Park take the elephants from the wild in Swaziland?

17. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Is it really?

18. joshgrossglaza

Geez, Umgani is supermom, superdiva, and, my favorite, superTOUGH

19. joshgrossglaza

The elephants at the park:

Mabu: the bull and father of Khosi, Punga, Kamile, Ingadze, Lutsundvo, Macembe, and Moya's calf who is soon to be named

Swazi: The leader :cool:, mother of Macembe

Moya: Second in Comand, mother of Kamile and her newest calf

Samba: Mother of Punga, expecting another calf in 2011

Umngani: Mother of Khosi, Ingadze, and another calf due in 2011, the tusker of the herd

Lugile: Tuskless, calf due in 2011

Ndula: Mother of Moose and Lutsundvo, right tusk is crooked

Moose: First born of the herd, unknown father, brother to Lutsundvo

Khosi: Mabu's first offspring, Ingadze's babysitter

Punga: Mabu's first male offspring, loves to chase deer :p

Kamile: Moya's first offspring, sometimes considered "Daddy's little girl" due to her unusual closeness to Mabu, may try to nurse form him :eek:

Ingadze: First second time offspring and male to Umngani, we share the same birthday!

Lutsundvo: Mabu's first offspring with Ndula, born on Valentines Day

Macembe: Swazi's first, likes to hang out with older brother Ingadze

Moya's calf: Moya's first male calf, little trouble with the after birth, but doing well, will be named in August

20. Zoogoer2000

Thank you for all that description :) just one correction, Lungile is currently not pregnant, BUT... she was recently taken off birth control (SDWAP did this to make sure she would be producing milk before getting pregnant again) so she could become pregnant from most likely Mabu or possibly Msholo anytime now

Umgani's pregnancy is not confirmed by zoo officials, but is most likely true