Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo Elephant rides

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by flackyslegion, 11 Mar 2013.

1. flackyslegion

flackyslegion Member

Afternoon,

Does anybody know when elephant rides stopped at London Zoo?

At Bristol is was 1961: i'd like to know if this is a widespread change.

Cheers!

2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know WHY they stopped. Elephants were increasingly spooked by Concorde flying over, and either one tried to dive through a tunnel under the road, or they were afraid this might happen. Camel rides continued until at least the mid 80s.

3. flackyslegion

flackyslegion Member

Interesting.

That correlates with Bristol's reasoning - the elephant Rosie had fallen twice in the years before her death, once with a howdah full of children.

4. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Rosie wasbefore my time. I first went to Bristol in 1975, by which time Wendy & Christina were in residence, neither of whom I think were ever ridden. They were of course walked around the zoo [and even outside], although I never remember seeing Christina out of the enclosure. I remember Wendy being walked around the zoo in her later years; she seems to have been a very gentle elephant with people, although bullied by at least two other elephants [one of whom was Christina]. For those unfamiliar with Bristol, Wendy & Christina were Asian & African respectively. Christina always struck me as a particularly attractive animal.

5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are you sure it was Concorde? Its maiden flight wasn't until 1969 & wasn't in service until 1976. I don't remember elephant rides from my visits as a young child in the late 60s/early 70s.

6. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I remember elephant rides at London Zoo when I was a very small child in the late nineteen fifties.

I have a copy of the 1960 zoo guide which mentions elephant rides in the section on animal rides; however a sheet of paper has been inserted to state that elephant rides were suspended in 1960. I don't think that they were ever reinstated.

7. flackyslegion

flackyslegion Member

Thanks very much for this info. Will try to get hold of the 1960 guide, i think.

8. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

A corollary to this piece of history is the location of the ex-Elephant & Rhinoceros Pavilion. The elephant rides took place where the now grassed over sites of the gibbon and cockatoo aviaries stood, built in 1962 and demolished some 40 years later.

The idea was that the elephant house would be sited conveniently for the rides, removing the need to walk animals through the tunnels.

9. flackyslegion

flackyslegion Member

Fascinating.

If any of you come up with any other thoughts, i'd love to hear them.

A

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They never gave 'rides' for visitors, but I seem to remember the keepers sometimes rode them mahout style when they were out in the grounds.

I think they may have stopped taking them out as they became mature, but resumed again with Wendy after Christina died?

11. flackyslegion

flackyslegion Member

That's right. Christina died in 1987, and Wendy was being walked round the Gardens each lunchtime from 1990-c.2001.

A

12. mukisi

mukisi Well-Known Member

I am sure they were stopped after a run away in a zoo; and a subsequent price hike for insurance. The start of Health & safety.

13. flackyslegion

flackyslegion Member

Indeed.

Does anybody know if any zoos in the UK still do animal rides?

A

14. flackyslegion

flackyslegion Member

Tim May - do you have the full details of the 1960 guidebook? Full title and publisher?

Many thanks!

Andy

15. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Although it doesn’t really affect the main point of my earlier post - that elephant rides ceased in 1960 - I’ve just noticed a typing error in my original post (quoted above); my guide, that was updated with a 1960 insert, was actually dated 1958. In addition to the information that elephant rides were suspended in 1960, this insert mentioned various other recent changes (e.g the giant panda “Chi-Chi” is on view in an enclosure near the Chimps’ Tea Party Lawn; the Rodent House has been renamed the South Mammal House; the Small Mammal House is now known as the Central Mammal House...).

As just mentioned, my original post really referred to the 1958 not the 1960 guide.

To answer your question:

Full Title: Zoo Guide; Publisher: Zoological Society of London

16. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

It might be of further interest in stating that the houda that was used for the elephant rides was for some time displayed inside the Casson Pavilion.

17. flackyslegion

flackyslegion Member

Brilliant - thanks very much Tim!

A

18. KatherinePG

KatherinePG New Member

If you have any love for elephants - please never, ever considering riding one. So few people know what goes on behind the scenes to make the majority of elephants "domesticated" ready for riding/circus work - its called a breaking ceremony when a baby elephant is taken from its mother and beaten into submission:

While UK zoos won't put elephants through this torture, people need to be aware and help spread the word about what goes on elsewhere in the world - and by riding an elephant (anywhere) you are encouraging others to do so.

Take a stand, take the moral high ground, put animal welfare before personal interest - and don't ever ride an elephant. Go enjoy them in a zoo, or better still in a sanctuary in Asia where you can enjoy them in all their natural beauty.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  19. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What a sad video! I was at a renaissance faire yesterday and they had a ride an elephant attraction. Part of me wanted to ride the elephant because it's so rare to do so, but then part of me felt guilty. Where does this elephant live at night? What do they do with it when the faire is not going on? Is the majority of its day spent walking around in a circle with humans on its back? I have no idea if the people who own the elephant treat it with respect, but I decided it was probably best not to support it.