Join our zoo community

Elephant shrews at Peabody Museum CT

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Danaja777, 24 Apr 2013.

1. Danaja777

Danaja777 New Member

Hi guys!

I am planning a trip to New Haven CT this weekend hoping to see elephant shrews at Peabody Museum. Unfortunately, the materials on the internet saying that elephant shrews were part of the Tree of Life exhibition haven't been updated since 2009. I don't know whether the animals are still on display.

I would appreciate any new info on whether the museum still has them. Thanks!!!

P.S. Another question - does the National Zoo in DC have the elephant shrews on display right now?

Last edited: 24 Apr 2013
  2. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Seeing as how (according to the Peabody Museum's current floor plan) the temporary exhibit room, which once hosted the "Tree of Life" exhibit, now focuses on the pharaohs of Egypt, I am assuming that the elephant shrews have been removed from the museum.

Good luck finding them on your visit, and welcome to the forum, as well!

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Based on your past post on that other thread I'm going to take it you're talking specifically about Black-and-Rufous Elephant Shrews. I don't think the museum has them anymore, unfortunateky.:( I'm disappointed, too, as, if they were still there, I was thinking of making the approx. 45 minute drive down there to see them.

As for Smithsonian, I went there in July 2012 and they still had them- they actually just had a baby born which is probably why they were off-exhibit on my visit. Since they've had pretty good breeding results recently I'd think they'd still have them. I know they do have Short-Eared Elephant Shrews still. The Bronx Zoo in New York also has Short-Eared Elephant Shrews and had a baby a few months ago.

~Thylo:cool:

4. Danaja777

Danaja777 New Member

Thank you for your answers guys. Peabody Museum definitely doesn't have the shrews. I received a response from a person who works there. As for the National Zoo, I visited it on Dec 2012 and the enclosure where giant shrews lived, was empty. Maybe it just wasn't my lucky day. Hope, they are still on exhibit though.

5. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Sorry for digressing from elephant shrews but still on the topic of Yale University’s Peabody Museum, a question please:

I know that this museum’s collection includes the skeleton of London Zoo’s female quagga that died in London in 1872. (The mounted skin of this animal is in the Edinburgh Museum.)

Is this quagga skeleton on display at the museum or is it off-exhibit?

6. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have not seen the quagga...... In fact I even don't know the Tree of Life Exhibit :(

7. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's too bad that Peabody no longer has them. At least I got to saw them a few years ago, but I didn't have a camera with me. Plus the one that was out on exhibit wouldn't stop moving, and I wouldn't be able to have taken a good picture.