Join our zoo community

Noah's Ark Zoo Farm Elephants Arrive

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Pertinax, 21 Aug 2013.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Agree, and not surprised they are from Port Lympne. The Aspinall Parks are often more willing to provide 'spare' animals ( e.g. Gorillas) to places that can't get them through the normal EEP channels, provided that they approve the housing. This time its Elephants and it seems that the brand new Elephant housing at Noah's meets their requirements, as its actually better than their own rather antiquated-style housing now!

What will happen at Port Lympne now with Elephants remains to be seen. A sub-group to be transferred from Howletts- or no more Elephants to be kept there?

Last edited: 4 Sep 2014
  2. Communityzoo

Communityzoo Well-Known Member

Doesn't this still leave the young bull Juva at Port Lympne? He arrived from Howletts with Janu three years ago.

I really hope there hasn't been yet another death at Port Lympne prompting this move, especially after what happened with the Asian herd. Hopefully Juva is still there, and this is Port Lympne retaining him as possibly a future breeding bull, rather than going out of elephants there. If he's alive and Port Lympne were going out of elephants altogether, they would surely have just sent Juva along with Janu and Kruger to Noah's Ark? However, retaining a young male at Port Lympne who is the son of Jums does nothing to solve the risk of further inbreeding at Howletts, as Juva is related to all of the young cows there by his father. The JAF website does say that they have plans to restructure their captive groups to provide 'the best possible captive arrangement'. Perhaps this signals a redevelopment of at least the cow barn/complex, which would require the animals to vacate the space. Given the track record at PL, I hope some work is done on the facility before more animals are added.

Having not bred at Port lympne before the cows died, I believe Kruger was unable to dominate the breeding cows at Howletts so in some ways it's better he has moved. Kruger being reunited with Buta is significant - they both came from the same import of young cull survivors arriving at Windsor Safari Park in 1988. At Knowsley, Kruger actually sired a calf with Buta in 2004 which unfortuntely was killed by her at birth, but it bodes well for future breeding at Noah's Ark.

It will be interesting to see what happens now at Howletts, as many of Jum's daughters (and granddaughters) are already at or approaching an age where they could concieve by him, something that has already happened a number of times in the past.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2014
  3. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sadly Juva died in late 2013. It seems P.L. is stopping with elephants altogether.

4. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Glad my memory is working, a possible successful reunion with these two could be successful for breeding. The bull who replaced Kruger at Knowsley (Nissim) was unable to dominate the females too, sadly he died a few months back at a young age.

5. Pertinax

Strange that Howletts/PL are moving the only bull(Kruger) unrelated to all their younger females- perhaps they know he is of no use breeding -wise to them, and they will look for a different unrelated male instead. And perhaps rather than no elephants, its planned to upgrade PL's elephant area a bit and then transfer some younger females from Howletts and also bring in a new unrelated bull?

Does anyone know the breeding history of 'Buta'- i.e. has she had other calves since the one mentioned? And how long since she last bred?

It seems Noah's may now be heading in the direction of breeding Africans if either of these two bulls are to stay there long term and any more cows are added.

6. Communityzoo

Communityzoo Well-Known Member

It's just so strange - while the Asian herd had disastrous breeding results, it is now well-understood that the herpes virus is a problem across captive populations of this species. Aside from isolated issues (death under anaesthesia, post-partum death of an adult cow following complications), there was never an issue at Port Lympne with adult or sub-adult mortality. I had always assumed African elephants, especially captive-bred individuals, to be somewhat hardier than Asians. Much has been made about the aspect of the facility - perched at the top of a hill not far from the coast - the core group of Asiatic animals at PL survived for years here, yet four young adult Africans all died within a few years of being moved there.

7. Pertinax

Possibly only temporarily though? Space at Howletts is always an issue- they can't expand their elephant area any more, so if they want to expand the herd/group more, it will have to mean moving some to PL again.

8. Pertinax

From an extended update on the Elephant's arrival on their facebook it says the younger male Janu 'is on loan' while the older bull 'Kruger' will come there on a permanent basis. Of course that might change over time but indicates the younger bull may move on sooner/anyway.

9. matthew

matthew Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visiting the Zoo today they announced at the elephant talk; Kruger is currently suffering health issues, though the vet is happy for him to start training ready for his move to Noah's Ark. This may delay the date for when he arrives. They are also sourcing another 6 year old male elephant from Sweden. If my memory serves me right this is M'changa, who is in Boras Zoo.

Janu seemed to be settling in well, and he was outside, trying to get Buta's attention. She has been keeping him company through the wires, and has been looking after him. at 9 years old, he is so much smaller than Buta.

10. Pertinax

The publicity blurb on Janu's arrival says both bulls are 'on loan'-and that Kruger is owned by Knowsley and also is known to Buta, not quite the same as what I read (and reported above) previously.

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

14. matthew

matthew Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Elephant Death

Buta the African Elephant has died at Noahs Ark Zoo aged 30.

Noah’s Ark Zoo Farm is saddened to announce that Buta, the 30-year-old African elephant died suddenly on Monday.

Buta collapsed in her habitat at 5.00PM on Monday 11th May.

Our team of elephant keepers were by her side immediately to provide assistance but Buta was unresponsive and passed away soon after.

A full post mortem is underway and the results will be analysed to understand cause of death.

Buta was temporarily rehomed to Noah’s Ark from Knowsley Safari in 2014.

15. Pertinax

A surprise and sudden loss for them. Possibly 'Buta' had underlying health issues before her transfer early last year to Noah's Ark? Only the p.m. will reveal that. A bit of a setback for their new Elephant Eden too.

16. Brownie

Brownie Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Anybody know of any news of future elephants to be homed at Noah's ark?

17. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to today's Court Circular the Elephant Eden was officially opened yesterday 17th December by HRH The Princess Royal.

18. Clunes

Clunes Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The last time I was there a few months ago I'm sure I saw a sign near the Elephant Eden that said 'Hyrax coming soon'. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Also, does anyone know where the new Bear enclosure will be situated?

19. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wonder whether there will be any mention of the relationship between hyrax and elephants in the signage...

20. Clunes

Clunes Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I really can't remember what the sign said but it looked like it would be right next to the Elephants so I'm sure there is logic behind the placement.