Join our zoo community

Elephants in Australia and New Zealand

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Douanita, 17 Jan 2007.

1. DanKoehl

DanKoehl Well-Known Member

2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

I got my copy there some years ago they may still sell it

3. AskAlice

AskAlice Well-Known Member

Hope this might help

The first African Elephant in Australia was a young bull elephant named 'Dumbo' He arrived at Taronga Park Zoo In January 1947. Unfortunately he failed to thrive at Taronga Park and by July 1947 had died from apparently congenital issues. Chori the second African Bush elephant arrived a few days after Dumbo had died. I'm finishing off the write up I'm doing on Chori but I don't have a date of death. I'm assuming she died around 1977. Can anyone help me on that? I understand she died when she was going to be transferred to Western Plains Zoo. From my research Chori wasn't an easy going elephant. Originally she was meant to be a gift for Hitler would you believe. Interesting story behind her. The other African Bush Elephant I'm also following up at the moment is Cheena. Again I haven't go a date of death for her.

Here's the link to the write up I did on Dumbo Australia's First African Elephant it's free to download and share with anyone

Dumbo Australias First African Elephant

Cheers folks!

4. AskAlice

Hope this might help

The first African Elephant in Australia was a young bull elephant named 'Dumbo' He arrived at Taronga Park Zoo In January 1947. Unfortunately he failed to thrive at Taronga Park and by July 1947 had died from apparently congenital issues. Chori the second African Bush elephant arrived a few days after Dumbo had died. I'm finishing off the write up I'm doing on Chori but I don't have a date of death. I'm assuming she died around 1977. Can anyone help me on that? I understand she died when she was going to be transferred to Western Plains Zoo. From my research Chori wasn't an easy going elephant. Originally she was meant to be a gift for Hitler would you believe. Interesting story behind her. The other African Bush Elephant I'm also following up at the moment is Cheena. Again I haven't go a date of death for her.

Here's the link to the write up I did on Dumbo Australia's First African Elephant it's free to download and share with anyone

Dumbo Australias First African Elephant

Cheers folks!

5. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

According to a Sunday Telegraph newspaper article today on Ongard having his first swim at Melbourne, they say that Melbourne are hoping to impregnate Nu-moi this month.

6. Dallaspachyderm

Dallaspachyderm Well-Known Member

That's great about Nu-moi! Anything about Tang-mo?

7. Jabiru96

Nothing as of yet. I believe Taronga is trying natural mating between her and Gung (the bull). She often visits him at his facility (along with the other females) but i'm not sure if he has mated her yet.

8. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

how often do the girls go down to see gung? I have never seen them down there. Do they spend the night or is it just day visits? What a life Gung has, million dollar bachalor pad over looking the harbour, all the food and drinks he wants plus he has his women delivered straight to his door. Oh to be a bull elephant at Taronga.:D:p

9. Jabiru96

I think they walk them every morning before the zoo opens, possibly also after the zoo closes, but never during visitor hours. And yes, Gung has the life! :D

10. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but:-

Way back on 10/4/11 AskAlice requested the date of Chori's death at Taronga Zoo, speculating that it would have been around 1977. Also requested info. about Cheena.

I have an old article from (Sydney's) North Shore Times dated April 18 1979 headed "Elephant's Heart Gave Out After Fall' and stating that Chori had died that week in a failed attempt to crate her for delivery to Western Plains Zoo. Cause of death was acute heart failure. The autopsy showed that Chori also suffered from lung tumors and erosive osteo-arthritis in the knees.

Can't help with Cheena, unfortunately, except to say that she died about 10 years earlier than Chori, having not reached full maturity.She is really the "forgotten African elephant" at Taronga in that Chori is often mentioned in books about Taronga, but Cheena never seems to be. She was fairly tame and there are photos of her in old guide books giving rides to individual children. (She was not big enough to carry groups of passengers.)

11. DanKoehl

Thanks! added those records to database at Elephants Encyclopedia - facts and information about elephants since 1995

12. AskAlice

Thank you so much for this information. I've researched Chori as far as I could but I didn't have her death date. this has now completed the picture. Now I can do her write up and Dan can add the rest of what I've come up with to your information. This is great. Yes Cheena is the other one I've been looking into. Very little on her. It's as if she was just a footnote. Musch appreciated!

:)

13. gorgeousingray

gorgeousingray Well-Known Member

14. Gajah69

Gajah69 Well-Known Member

This is during the 92 import.The smallest calf Chepam was euthanaised in 2007 due to collapsing from skeletal/anorexia issues.The larger two are still at Perth and haven't ever bred.

15. DanKoehl

She was renamed to Chepam? Or is my record wrong, becasue I recorded that one as Teduh Teduh, an Asian elephant at Perth Zoo

Do you know if they all came from Malakka?

16. Gajah69

Gajah69 Well-Known Member

Her barn name was Chepam and public name, Teduh.From memory they came from 3 different regions in Malaysia, but I can check and confirm this for you.All the calves had 2 names.

17. DanKoehl

Thanks, yes, please ckeck the other twos origins, great if you can find them. Do you also know the the barn names for the other two?