Join our zoo community

Elephant´s management: protected contact or not?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Dan, 23 Aug 2008.

1. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

This may have been discussed before, but I am new to the forum, so......

What are your opinions on the two alternative methods: protected contact or free contact (is that what it´s called? English is not my first language...)?

Having read some very troublesome testimonies regarding the use of free contact - basically examples of animals abuse - I tend to favour protected contact. By that, I don´t mean that all management with free contact must involve abuse, only that I have read enough about some sad examples.

What are your thoughts?

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Don`t believe every thing you read as there will always be good and bad examples of any system you care to use,with Elephants i know a few Keepers in this country that work with Elephants in the U.K using both methods they each swear by the system they use,personaly as long as the Elephant is well looked after i see no problem with either method if used correctly by the staff and zoo.

3. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Okay can someone explain the differances in these two methods with examples, would help:confused:

4. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Protected Contact is usually used with bulls, as they are dangerous and they are usually enriched through gates and such, Free contact is that the elephant cas easily be approached by a keeper without and protection usually with trained cows or Juviniles. Though this can depend on the size of the herd as well. No contact means that there is no hands on enrichment involved.

5. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

As I understand it, in the US, the AZA now requires protected contact at all accredited facilities. Too many keepers have died or been injured being in with elephants. A former colleague of mine had his head crushed a few years back

6. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

So you are a zoo professional, Zooplantman? That´s great, just the kind of person I would especially appreciate input from on this matter!

I - as a zoo visitor, animal lover etc - have had the sort of "romantical" thought that if I had been a zoo keeper working with elephants, I would have wanted that personal contact with them - be able to go into their enclosure and work with them there. But just as you describe, this is a very dangerous practise: many elephant keepers have been killed or wounded over the years.

But lately I have also begun to question the idea of free contact from another perspective. Free contact means that the keeper assumes the roll of the matriarch of the heard. The keeper dominates the elephants and must to a certain extent - as I understand it - be feared by the elephants. This is problematic to me from several perspectives. For instance, the keeper does not stay with the elepahants 24/7. So in a free contact situation the elephant herd is left without the leader most of the time. Must be confusing for an animal with such a structured social order in the wild. also, "the matriarch" varies from time to time, depending on which keeper is at work.

Ah.....well. I have, here, only sketched some of the questions I have on this matter. I wish English had been my first language so that I could have expressed myself better! But you probaby understand my points, Zooplantman? Would appreciate further input from you!

7. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is not correct that AZA zoos must use protected contact. There are still many US zoos that use free contact, for example Pittsburgh. One elephant in Pittsburgh, Moja, killed a keeper in 2002 and yet they are handling her in direct contact. Pictures of that have been in the press.

8. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dan,

Keepers, AFAIK, want to have close contact with elephants. Nobody is forced for this job. Being hit by elephant is just a risk you accept if you want to be with elephants.

Protected contact is favoured by direction. Reason is to avoid accidents among staff and especially, start keeping more bulls (which are usually untractable).

Protected contact still involves close contact and directing of elephants by keeper. This is done through the gate, only.

9. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Forgot to add - Dan, I share your concerns about direct contact; I worry about keeper safety, and if it does any good for an elephant when the humans take the role of the dominant and enforce it with their bullhooks when challenged. I have seen it in a number of zoos how the keepers prodded an elephant very rough at a sensitive area (in the mouth, behind the ears ect) with the metal side of the ankus necause the elephant was not responding immediately to a command. If they do that in front of the visitors, one starts to wonder what they do behind the scenes.

I have been assured by serveral keepers who use protected contact since serveral years that they can do everything that is necessary to ensure medical care in pc, so why take the risk of direct contact? Especially in australian zoos, it seems to be very popular to take the elephants out of the enclosures for a walk as enrichment and exercise and use that as a reason why direct contact should be necessary, but in my opinion the walks are only necessary because the enclosures are too small (new Taronga elephant enclosure: just 2.000 m²!).

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  10. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Some great points there, Yassa! I have thought that one of the reasons to favour free contact would be the possibility to take the elephants for walks around the zoo. But your testimonies on the use of the ankus sort of .....well, you know......

I would very much appreciate more input on this question!

11. dragon(ele)nerd

I agree here in Melbourne they usually only walk them in one paddock, elephants at Taronga and Melbourne have been trianed to let keepers on their back, I wonder how the new calves will be enriched by when the time comes, probably like the rest of the family I assume, ?

12. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would be interested in any proof that elephants are calmer or happier just because of protected contact.

Elephants normally push, hit and stab each other with force many times bigger than human. Keeper using ankus at every displeasure simply does what dominant elephant does (with a lot of bluff, he cannot answer elephant one to one). Elephant managed with direct contact usually bond well with their keepers. In Asia, ankus is used much more and elephants are, if anything, more bonded. Managing elephants by withdrawing food may not be better way at all.

13. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

Actually, the AZA requires that all zoos have facilites for protected contact, not specifically use the mangement style. And not all elephants (and keepers) are ment for full contact management. It takes a special breed of keeper with a great respect for the animals to use a full contact management style. There are pros and cons for both styles, I have witnessed good examples of both.

14. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

On my epic zoo trip this summer I saw zoo keepers inside and touching elephants in plain sight of visitors at the Pittsburgh Zoo, National Zoo in Washington DC and Knoxville Zoo. There were other zoos with keepers present that might or might not use protected contact, but at those 3 zoos the keepers (complete with some type of ankus) were directly inside with the pachyderms.

15. dragon(ele)nerd

I see, that the national zoo is still happy to make contact with Kandula.

16. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Thanks, all, for the clarification!

17. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

In Holland all zoos are using protected contact (pc), except for the females and offspring in Rotterdam. But Rotterdam is changing to pc.

PC is the savest contact system; the elephant and his caregiver are not standing in the same room, there is always a barrier between them. This means that the elephant have the choise to go the the caregiver if he wanted to, or not.

Training sessions can be cancelled by the elephant. The caregiver has no means to force the animal. Of course they uses a lot of little snacks to get the attention of the animal, but sometimes - like humans - the elephant has an off day, and he refuses to come whatever the caregiver tries.

For more safety, the caregiver uses long sticks to train the elephants, and to make sure he's out of the reach of it's trunk. Of course the sticks are not used to hurt the animals but to hit them gently, just to attend the animal.

The basic principles are simple: hit the elephant on a leg means: lay your leg on the fence. The trainer hit the elephant with one stick on the head: the elephant has his attention. Then hit with the other stick on the leg. If he acts right, the caregiver makes a sound (often by a clicking device), and the elephant recieved a little treat (like an apple).

There are also some short vocal commands like "turn", "ear", "final", but the caregiver never shouts to the animal.

And always behind a fence! The caregiver should interfere to the minimum. Only short training sessions, and only for medical use or daily care.

It's so easy to learn an elephant because they are very smart. And I can not understand why zoos are going on with hands-on contact, while pc is proven to be the best. Ask Alan Roocroft!

Here are some samples of a training with African elephant Tooth of Ouwehands' Zoo. Notice the fence, the bucket with fruit. Also notice that this elephant is separated from the rest. He is standing in a small pen or paddock. But if he chooses not to come to a training, he simply will not enter the paddock!

I was very pleased to withness such a training! (The photos are taken by me and the caregiver gave his permit to show it on the internet.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Aug 2008
    Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  18. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Great description of the protected contact method, UntBwe!

I think you may have given "conclusive evidence" on this matter!

So... what gave you the opportunity to watch this training session? Great photos, by the way!

19. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

Thanks to my website, I'm a little "known" in some zoos.

20. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Nice! The link to your website, please?