Join our zoo community

Noah's Ark Zoo Farm Elephants

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by jacks zoo, 9 Mar 2010.

1. jacks zoo

jacks zoo Well-Known Member

Noahs ark zoo farm have submited a planning application to build a new 7 acre enclosure for elephants. If granted work will begin this year and will be completed by 2011. They plan to house rescued elephants of either species.

What are peoples veiws on noahs getting elephants?

2. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

We'll probably have a recreation of that Primeval episode with the mammoth on the motorway. :p

In all seriousness, I think they far too amateur in their management to keep elephants, and I could see a keeper incident happening soon there. I hope they reconsider.

3. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

Any zoo with sense wouldn't send anything surplus to that place, let alone an elephant

4. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can you see the plans online, if so can you give a link.

5. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I get the Impression they’re worried about the possible Hollywood towers development and trying to establish a collection of popular large zoo animals before Hollywood towers gets underway.

6. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Yep, it definately seems like they're rushing to get big ABC's almost in mockery of Bristol.

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The project is on hold for the forseeable future due to lack of funding.

8. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

but not dead and Buried. Yet.

9. jacks zoo

Im not sure if you can see these plans online? but i think you can apply to see planning applications-correct me if im wrong-this is the full article from the western mercury.

Noah's Ark plans for elephants

05 March 2010

A ZOO farm in Wraxall is hoping some new residents will lumber in to the attraction early next year.

Noah's Ark Zoo Farm has applied to North Somerset Council for permission to build a seven acre outdoor elephant enclosure to house a minimum of three adult elephants.

The enclosure will include a water pool, sand pit, acres of pasture and a heated house.

Staff plan to acquire African or Asian rescue elephants in need of a good home.

If permission is granted building work will hopefully start later this year, ready for completion in 2011.

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's pretty much it- they advertise themselves as being 'where the big animals are'...and you can't get much bigger than Elephants.

Its a massive undertaken to create elephant housing- I'm also wondering if there will actually be any elephants around(at least in UK) that need 'rescuing' if they go ahead with it.

11. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

Would they really go all the way and "rescue" elephants from Asia or Africa?

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Might be there only way of obtaining them. Maybe a zoo in Eastern Europe will be desperete enough to send them to NAZF? :rolleyes:

13. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

I really think this is a bad idea. For starters with regards as to how the tiger habitat turned out what things will they 'bodge' in this development?

14. jacks zoo

I think they will prob buy them from abroad, like they did with the rhino or maybe through there circus connections :)

15. ZooLeopard

i wonder what hapened to the GBC Elephants?? Maybe a move for them to NAZF?

16. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a seven acre elephant paddock/enclousure, but, although I have never visited, nor plan to visit, Noah's Ark, from what I have read about their methods, I agree that them getting elephants doesn't sound like a brilliant idea.

17. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

They should be concentrating on biulding decent rhino and tiger enclousures before even thinking of embarking on elephants!

18. ZooLeopard

Exactly! :cool:

19. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

How about asking them [Noah's Ark] to explain their stance on Zoo Education; i.e. Darwinism, evolution etc. Then, once they've understood the basics of this, ask why they worked with circuses and buried their animals against regulation. How can they be allowed to keep Elephants with their recent poor husbandry/licence zoo record. Is there no Government regulation? Why can't BIAZA/EAZA and such like put forward a motion to prevent this?
    On a sad day like this (Paignton's Ele, Gay passing) this news infuriates me!

20. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

How about asking them [Noah's Ark] to explain their stance on Zoo Education; i.e. Darwinism, evolution etc. Then, once they've understood the basics of this, ask why they worked with circuses and buried their animals against regulation. How can they be allowed to keep Elephants with their recent poor husbandry/licence zoo record. Is there no Government regulation? Why can't BIAZA/EAZA and such like put forward a motion to prevent this?
    On a sad day like this (Paignton's Ele, Gay passing) this news infuriates me!