Join our zoo community

Elephants

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by savethelephant, 24 Mar 2015.

1. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I honestly do not think that all wild African elephants will be extinct within a few decades. The bush elephant (Loxodonta africana), certainly has reasonable numbers in certain areas and is too hughly valued to be poached to complete extinction. The decline is allarming and I don't doubt that elephants will go extinct in certain areas but due to how high a percentage of some (particularly East) African countries' economies is safari tourism based, I think that there are certain populations that will survive even at current trends.

I would, however, worry much more about Forest elephants (Loxodonta cyclotis) with the range of forest elephants going through very politically instable countries where anti-poaching is too little and too weak and there is also much less income coming from safaris from forest elephants than bush elephants (though if there was better political stability, I think that this could change for the better)

Last edited: 24 Mar 2015
  3. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Of course not but this article just reminded me how bad it is for them and it is unfortunate how there isn't a proper population of Forest elephants in zoos to support them

4. AverageWalrus

AverageWalrus Well-Known Member

If only there was