Join our zoo community

Elmvale Jungle Zoo Elmvale Jungle Zoo

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 May 2015.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The first white lion cubs have been born in Canada. A litter of 4 were just born. It will be at least another month before they go on display. No more info on them.

2. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've wanted to visit this zoo for some time now, but I was never sure if it was worth the nearly 1 and a half drive.

Anyone want to fill me in?

3. TZFan

A litter of white lion cubs was born about a month ago. There are 3 females Nora, Darby and Raina. And since Bowmanville just introduced a male cub named Alex, he is likely their brother. The cubs are not with mom so they are probably being exploited for cub photos this summer.

4. tiffanyanddave

tiffanyanddave Well-Known Member

As you guessed it, Bowmanville Zoo has already started photo sessions with this one white lion cub while it is only 4-weeks-old. From my understanding, they are quite susceptible to viruses/disease at that early stage prior to having all immunization shots. But as always, money wins.

5. TZFan

They just announced that they have a five month old giraffe calf looking for a name. Anyone have any idea what subspecies they have?

6. TZFan

The giraffe calf was named Suki.

On their facebook page someone posted a photo of what looks to be a young gibbon infant.

There was also mention of a white tiger cub but no photos.

7. TZFan

Another litter of white lion cubs has been born. At least two possibly three if the new cub from Jungle Cat World is their sibling. Also there is at least one tiger cub.

8. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Never been to the zoo before. Is there anyone that has and wants to share their experience?

9. TZFan

Lol, still waiting on someone's opinion of the place Cypher?

I have to say after all my Toronto based research a couple things stand out to me that don't place Elmvale in a very good light.

1) Every giraffe Toronto sent there died not long after. Could be bad luck but still highly suspicious considering they were all young.

2) They do not participate in a single SSP. Any SSP animal that ever goes there fails to be tracked thereafter. Which I admit is pretty standard when they go to a non AZA facility but quite a few CAZA zoos that are not with the AZA participate in a couple SSPs at least.

3) They bred Toronto's jaguars Luca and Zambucca who are inbred. They chose to breed a brother with his sisters. That's just wrong in a zoo setting where it can be prevented. I know it was done in the past but these days zoos worth anything avoid it and Luca and Zambucca are only 11 so no excuse.

4) I do not see any transfers from any of the big Canadian zoos to Elmvale anymore. It seems like they don't want to send their animals there and haven't since the mid 90s. Not just Toronto but Calgary, Assiniboine, Granby, Edmonton and Vancouver. Even African Lion Safari on anything it participates with the AZA with. I'm sure the other smaller zoos do but they have less options than the bigger zoos who can swap more easily with American zoos.

On another note I do not like zoos using cubs for money making machines which Elmvale loves doing. It's one thing to breed so people come in. It's another to pull babies from their mothers and hand rear them simple for photo ops. Three years three litters of white lion cubs. Where are all these white lion cubs going? They aren't showing up at the other zoos except Bowmanville last year and possibly Jungle Cat World. African Lion Safari doesnt need them they had at least one if not two litters. Safari Niagara and Parc Safari already had adult prides prior to breeding. Toronto has had its own litter needing placement. I'm concerned where all these cubs are going. Not to mention their other cash cows, tiger cubs who might not even be a pure subspecies possible of contributing to their species. What about their fates?

I've never been but a few concerning things have cropped up enough I don't think I would want to visit.

10. whitters23

whitters23 Member

The Elmvale Jungle Zoo has been broken into last night and three animals were stolen. A black and white ruffed lemur named JC, a spur thighed tortoise named Stanley and a black baby gibbon named Agnes.

Three animals have been stolen from the Elmvale Jungle Zoo

More info can be found at the Elmvale Jungle Zoo Facebook page, including pictures of the animals that were taken.

11. TZFan

How horrible! These are endangered animals and require special care. Especially the baby gibbon. I hope they will be found and returned safely.

12. TZFan

13. TZFan

14. whitters23

whitters23 Member

15. TZFan

Good news for the lemur. Here's hoping for the best for the gibbon and tortoise.

TheEthiopianWolf03 likes this.
  16. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

17. TZFan

18. whitters23

whitters23 Member

I am so disgusted with this whole story but the fact that the lemur was found abandoned in a cage on the side of the road is so heartbreaking. What is wrong with people?!

19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The suspects not the talking kind? And then: To be granted bail ..., I am a really bit flabbergasted.

I am sure that if this cased related to a human disappearance these young people would remain in custody and - perhaps - help with the investigations (as the lives of the two animals left on the loose depend on this).

20. TZFan