Join our zoo community

Open email notifications

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Chlidonias, 21 Apr 2016.

1. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I use Gmail and it has been working fine for me, I've had no problems with the email notifications at all.

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Touch wood - seems to be back to normal today :)

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Just FYI, the underlying issue arises because we've moved to a new email service provider - which in itself isn't so much a problem, other than the fact that hundreds (or even thousands) of other people have recently switched to this provider as well after our previous provider decided to make significant changes to the way they operated that part of their business.

There are lots of new websites using this service I've moved to and some of them have less than stellar sending reputation (the ability to get email delivered and not caught in spam traps is mostly based on your sender reputation - so a good reputation is critical) ... and so some of the bad ones are causing problems for everyone else - Microsoft and other companies are actively throttling the maximum amount of emails that can be sent until the email service provider can sort out the bad senders from the good ones.

Hopefully once things start to settle down, we'll all return to a normal level of traffic and things will flow smoothly.

I will continue to monitor it and make improvements where I can. I may have to pay for an upgraded account which puts me on a separate IP address to the other senders so we're not affected so much by other bad senders, but that's $$$.

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Maybe it is time for some more of the regulars on this forum to do what I do and become a ZooChat Supporter.

5. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Some emails are making it directly to my (hotmail) inbox but no matter what I try, many still go straight to junk, and I'm sure there are still occasional posts for which I don't receive any notification at all.

6. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There are still people using Hotmail?Use gmail,guys.

7. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

To counteract this problem, which I presume is still affecting my hotmail account as well, I set up a "rule" within the outlook options that moves any emails received from "[email protected]" to the inbox. This should solve part of your problem, but there are still a few emails I am not getting, or at least are quite delayed.

8. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I find that I now get more notification e-mails from ZooChat with, sometimes, multiple notifications for the same thread.

Whilst I am not logged onto ZooChat, if a particular thread to which I subscribe, receives a number of new posts:-

• It used to be that I was sent an e-mail notification for the first new post but not for the second and subsequent posts; consequently, by checking my e-mails, I could tell that a thread had received at least one new post, whilst I wasn’t on-line, but wouldn’t know exactly how many new posts there were until I had logged onto ZooChat and viewed the thread.

This behaviour was consistent with the message that is included with each e-mail:-

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

• However, now I seem to get a new notification message, for each new post made to a thread , whilst I am not logged onto to ZooChat; maybe half-a-dozen or more all for the same thread.

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

mine are a bit erratic over the last few days (on yahoo email). Most are fine, but there are a number which are delayed (perhaps ones never arrived too, I'm not sure) and I've had a very few double-ups (the same notification sent twice) or notifications for the same thread for different posts when I'm not online (as per Tim May's comment above).

Mostly there aren't any problems for me though.

10. Arizona Docent

If you have had an email address for years (as I have) it is not that easy to just change. I mean it is easy of course to set up a Gmail account, but making all your contacts aware is a pain both for you and for them. I have numerous business accounts (Amazon, etc, etc) and dozens of friends on my current email. Why should I change all that just to accommodate a glitch on ZooChat?

FYI I have not received ANY ZooChat email notifications for months.

11. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I have two gmail accounts, a couple of hotmail addresses and several others on different servers, but hotmail is actually the easiest one to sync and check (with gmail a close second) so that's the one I've stuck with, having set it up when I was 12. :)

12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

that seems irregular. You don't have your settings on "no email notification" do you?

Go to Control Panel (at top right of page), then on the left side click on Edit Options (under Settings And Options). Under the Messaging & Notifications bit there is a drop-bar under Default Thread Subscription Bar. The drop-bar should be on Instant Email Notification.

And you only get email notifications for threads you are subscribed to (which is automatic unless you choose the option not to).

13. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Just to follow up on this - it seems that the Hotmail email delivery delays have largely eased off, but we are still seeing deliverability problems to AOL addresses.

If you use AOL and aren't receiving email notifications - please consider changing email providers (it's not mandatory - but it could help). We'll continue working with our email service provider to make sure we're able to get emails delivered.

14. Arizona Docent

For the last few weeks (not sure exactly how long) I am experiencing an interesting phenomenon with my Hotmail account and ZooChat. Some notifications go to my regular inbox and some go to my junk mailbox. I always click "not junk" but still other ZooChat notifications end up there.