Join our zoo community

Emerald Monitors found in Sydney bust

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Lyrebird, 20 Feb 2012.

1. Lyrebird

Lyrebird Well-Known Member

Scales of justice - snake trade done and dusted with fingerprints | thetelegraph.com.au

Interesting, Crested Geckoes, Emerald Monitors and Albino boas recovered that aren't held in our Australian Zoo System at all. I wonder if any zoo will put their hands up to take them on if eligible.

How those unicorns doing now buddy? :)

2. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

What is the point of stating this in the final paragraph? ""All reptiles are protected in NSW and it is against the law to remove (them) from the wild," she said."

Surely a more relevant comment would have been that it is illegal to keep exotic reptiles in Australia?

I hope zoos will agree to take them.

3. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I'm guessing the bulk of the reptiles were natives, with a number of exotics as well. The comment then becomes relevant.

:p

Hix

4. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Hmm... good point. The article isn't specific.

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there is probably also the good possibility that the trade is going both ways with these particular reptile keepers: exotic reptiles being smuggled in and natives smuggled out.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

why is the only source that I can find for this story the The Daily Telegraph? (I'm not suggesting anything untoward, I just can't find anything that isn't just a copy or link of the Telegraph article)

7. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Lyrebird.
    So a few exotic reptiles have been found. I'm sure there is plenty of people out there driving around in maseratis' and cruising on 100 foot yachts from all the money they are making in the thriving exotic trade in australia. I'm still waiting for the tigers and lynxs that you have heard about to be found.
    Let me know if you still have any info on them. My bunyip is lonely. I might buy a lynx for it to play with.
    P.S. my unicorns got horse flu and had to be euthanised and the mermaids died from ich.

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.