Join our zoo community

Emus in walk-thru exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Farley, 21 Jan 2014.

Tags:
  1. Farley

Farley New Member

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone has had any behavioural issues with emus being housed in walk-thru style exhibits and if so how you solved these.

We have (what we think is) a three year old female living in a small walk-thru exhibit, which is mainly used for small tour groups. She is housed with three quokkas and two larger macropods. She is quite intraverted and usually keeps her distance from people but has on occasion approached visitors and kicked out at them.

Anyone dealt with something similar?

2. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

We had an emu in a 10 acre bush enclosure at a time we had very few day visitors. It still managed to force a visitor to the ground (fortunately they took it as an experience). It also put a scar on my stomach, and we eventually had to put it down. IMO young emus are ok in walkthroughs, but adults are an unacceptable risk. I think it likely your emu's behavior will deteriorate not get better as it gets older.

BTW we have also had emus kick and trample small macropods, so your quokkas may not be safe either.

3. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

At South Lakes Wildlife Park in NW England there is (or there certainly was 4 years ago) an Emu mixed in with a melody of leaping Lemurs.
    I specifically recall this because the individual took a particular interest in my partner, which amused me at first, then it got to a stage where the Emu was really pursuing her, so we made a hasty exit from the walkthrough section. No pecking or kicking, but it certainly made a direct line for her several times.

4. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Emus........

The safest point of view here is that adult emus are potentially dangerous to people and to any bird or mammal smaller than an emu.
    I certainly wouldn't risk them in a walk through.

5. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

At Franklin Park Zoo, they had emu chicks and raised them. It lasted until they got to adult size in a 2 acre enclosure with 'Roo, Wallaby and Sheep. Now they are sectioned off.

6. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Kyabram Fauna park has free range Emus. They are tame, but seem to ignore people most of the time.

[​IMG]

7. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Many Australian zoos have walkthrough Emu (usually mixed with macropod) exhibits: Taronga, Melbourne, as well as the majority of smaller wildlife parks. It seems these generally work fine, presumably problem birds are rehomed. The pair at Auckland Zoo in New Zealand are very docile, and usually sit/stand by the path, allowing all to pat them.

8. mrcriss

mrcriss Well-Known Member

There are at least 6 emus in the exhibit now (along with lemurs, various wallabies and kangaroos). I have it on good authority (a member of staff) that there are regular injuries from the emus and also the male kangaroos (esp on menstruating women).

9. mrcriss

However, my emus (2.2) were soft as baby poo, and wouldn't have hurt a fly.:D

10. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

This wouldn't be the Taronga Education Centre would it?

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I've heard this on a number of occasions too; moreover, the last time I visited my girlfriend and myself were almost pushed over by two emus, one on either side of us.

12. mrcriss

But of course that doesn't matter to Gill, so long as he gets to have his "unique Safari Zoo"!:rolleyes:

13. Sid the gos

Sid the gos Member

I think emus raised by people from chicks are likely to be the problem birds!

14. mrcriss

Sorry to contradict, but that's incorrect. I have kept emus (and ostrich) that are both parent raised and those that have been incubated and imprinted on myself and family, and there was no difference in behaviour.

15. SmallestGiraffe

SmallestGiraffe Well-Known Member

I am really nervous around birds and we visit South Lakes frequently, i have to say the walk-through exhibit does scare me a bit as there is so much thrown in together and the birds in particular are really confident and they do pursue certain individuals.

I avoid the emu's majorly because i am nervous of them and would prefer them to be behind a fence if i'm honest, i see small children being allowed to pull on them and pat their backs etc.

Last time we visited i had to go through the walk-through due to the people we were with being keen to experience it, and there was a couple of issues with what i believe to be an East African Crowned Crane (although i may not have its name correct) and there were three troublesome individuals. One in particular took a particular liking to me much to my dismay and they were not afraid of pecking out at my boyfriend who stood between it and me. They were seen chasing various people around the walkthrough all day and the shouts from annoyed and slightly scared people continue throughout the day.
    What is worse about that walk-through i think is that there are no staff around to keep a check on the animals so they can basically do what they want.

16. mrcriss

Why would you frequently hand money over to get depressed by the Safari Slum?:confused:

17. SmallestGiraffe

To be fair the last few times we have visited have been free entry. We usually spend a lot of time at the other exhibits and as a massive giraffe fan i spend a lot of time with them.
    Its simply the birds that make me nervous haha!

18. mrcriss

That wasn't really my point. It's just that it's possibly the most depressing zoo in the country, so why visit frequently? :)

19. KrissyR

KrissyR Well-Known Member

The zoo here had 4 emus in the walk thru with red kangaroos. The emus were curious with small groups but when crowded they would leave. There were more issues with the emus charging the kangaroos than people.

20. SmallestGiraffe

Well, i understand that everybody has an opinion and trust me i am not blind to the things that are wrong, and the decisions that are made regarding South Lakes. But as it is the closest zoo to me we visit when we can and we don't visit for the owners, we visit to see the animals. Regardless of likes of dislikes regarding the people surely the animals are just as beautiful as anywhere else?

Giraffes are my favourites and through chatting to and getting to know the keepers i have been able to experience a lot more regarding them than i would have anywhere else. I think with them the feeding experience works well and definitely for £1 it is giving more people the chance to connect with the animals.

I am very aware that there are bigger and better zoo's in terms of quality of exhibits etc as i also visit Chester at least a few times a year and have been up and down the UK to a selection of zoo's last year.