Join our zoo community

Encyclopedia of the World's Zoos

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Shirokuma, 13 Sep 2009.

1. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Encyclopedia-Worlds-Zoos-Catharine-Bell/dp/1579581749/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252846948&sr=8-1"]Encyclopedia of the World's Zoos[/ame]

Does anyone know anything about this book? I'm very curious about why it is so expensive, anyone seen a copy?

2. Designaka

Designaka Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Encyclopedia World's Zoos

It's actually three books. They came out in 2000 I think. They've always been expensive. They are in A to Z form and don't really work that well. Too broad a subject to work in a dictionary style).

SealPup likes this.
  3. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

They are in my local reference library and, personally, I think they do work well and are really helpful when researching new zoos, directors, animal exhibition etc. Having said that, I too have researched the cost and they are mighty expensive.

4. CiaranDUK

CiaranDUK Well-Known Member

GOOD LORD! I was expecting it to be about £50-£60... But £225!?

5. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

Before I hit the road I sold my house and all my possessions. This included the three volume Encyclopedia of the World's Zoos. They are one of the things I regret selling but where was I going to keep them? And I certainly could not carry them with me.
    The Encyclopedia were multi authored. In fact I was asked to contribute at the outset but declined due to time constraints. The volumes are not just a list of zoos but information related to history, species, zoo biology, management and much too. It was an immense undertaking but I believe them to be excellent if you can afford them. You may not agree with every contributor (rather like ZooChat) but you will learn a great deal. At $680 it is a huge chunk of cash so the question is. Would I buy again? Yes definitely if I had a home and a living wage.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Sep 2009
  6. Shirokuma

Ok, I think I'm going to save up for these...

7. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

Blackduiker

I've considered buying them, but I would like to see a more updated revised edition. 2000 is a long time ago in zoo statistics.

8. Shirokuma

I just thought I would add that I found a set on Amazon - second hand - for £53! It's coming from the States. Even if it is flawed it will be an enjoyable read to dip into now and then.

9. Shirokuma

10. dhole123

dhole123 New Member

Encyclopedia of world zoos

I was given the books as a retirement present from my workmates 12
    years ago. I still dip into them now and then but like most zoo books
    they quickly go out of date. Still worth having.

dhole123

11. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

Wiki-ise the important content (by rewording and simplifying it) and update it to remove errors. Its not hard if you grasp wikis, which are not that easy tbh, but are a standard format. Even Britannica stopped selling its print version for the reason it goes out of date: the internet is awful for many things, but not encyclopedias.

12. CZSGOV

CZSGOV Member

13. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I bought a set from the US last week for under £25 - I look forward to their arrival :)