Join our zoo community

Endangered species you wish zoos tried to preserve

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Zygodactyl, 21 Nov 2016.

1. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, but that’s just restating the preference, again without giving a reason.

Arguably the main point in favour of incorporating ED into prioritization frameworks is that phylogenetic diversity is a correlate of functional diversity and evolutionary potential. My opinion, in case you’re interested, is that this assumption is context-dependent and we should be very wary of assuming any species is functionally redundant, particularly based on small, short-term datasets at limited spatial scales.

2. Zygodactyl

Zygodactyl Well-Known Member

My argument is that taxonomically distinct species are more likely to provide us information about evolution and animal behavior we didn't even know we didn't know. That's also my argument for maintaining species with unusual adaptations, or which have filled unusual niches relative to most members of the clade, even if they're less evolutionarily distinct.

Last edited: 24 Nov 2016
    Giant Panda likes this.
  3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

More island endemics should be captive bred (especially Hawaiian honeycreepers.)

4. Pycnogonid

Pycnogonid Well-Known Member

The salt creek tiger beetle needs more love