Join our zoo community

Enrichment for ostriches

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by dt644, 29 Sep 2020.

1. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

It is not difficult to find ostriches in a Korean zoos. However, most ostriches in Korean zoos are in bad condition.

Usually ostriches in Korean zoo are hairless due to their own or other one's act of plucking feathers, but in some cases, they lost their feather as much as a raw chicken.

Also, there are many cases in which the beak and fence 'looks like biting' behavior is repeated. Many visitors see the ostrich's behavior and often think that the zoo is not properly managing or abusing the ostrich, and zoos often explain this ostrich's hairless appearance as "they are sick," "because they are too old," or as far as I known, some zoos use the excuse of "they are molting now."

I feel that most Korean zoos are failed to fixed this ostrich's behavior and some zoos are don't even want to find way of fix. This is all the more so considering that ostriches at Seoul Zoo, the alpha of Korean zoos, are the most seriously hairless.

So, I would like to investigate the enrichment used for ostriches in overseas zoos. I have found a thread that dealt with this topic, but I want to find out more. Therefore, if you have know any enrichment for ostrich, or know a exhibit had environment in which ostrich can reduce that behaviors, please write it down here.

Hammy, Azubaa and TinoPup like this.
  2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is interesting, I have seen a lot of Ostrich and have yet to see one as you describe. Several pages of Ostrich photos in the gallery failed to turn up anything either. Relatively few photos of such Ostrich in several Google searches too.

That said, most Ostrich here in the states are usually kept in reasonably spacious exhibits, often with hoofstock. I don't think I've ever seen any enrichment designed specifically for Ostrich honestly.
    I believe there is some enrichment information in the Avian Specialty Advisory Group's Ratite TAG newsletter, all issues are available to view for free here: Avian Scientific Advisory Group
    They also have a basic care sheet, available here: Avian Scientific Advisory Group

Hope something in those helps.

EsserWarrior and dt644 like this.
  3. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

Thanks, after reading your post, I think maybe the reason why ostrich's problem appears is because of the way the Korean zoo raises ostrich.

Korean zoos usually display ostriches only in pairs, or as many as less 10 at the most. Also, the sand on the floor is so hard that ostrich can't do the act of pecking with its beak well, and there is no Pond with water in their exhibit grounds.

According to the data you gave me, ostrich is 'Compatible in Mixed Species Exhibits' is described, I think maybe that could reduce ostrich's behavior.

Two case of the ostriches in the Korean zoo I've been to were in relatively good condition. That two zoo was Gyeongsangnamdo Arboretum and the Daejeon O-World. The former had only one male ostrich, but lived with the donkeys, and the latter had a pair of ostrichs living in safari attractions with llama, guanaco, eland, zebras and gemsbok.

Once I come to an interim conclusion, I think there is a problem with the way the entire Korean zoo raises ostrich itself. They live with only limited elements in enclosures of too narrow an area for them.

4. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What an interesting topic. When I think about birds plucking their feathers, ostriches don't usually come to mind.

I don't believe that ostriches are intelligent animals, so their enrichment items can't be too complicated. Foraging toys - i.e. balls with holes that can push around, barrels with holes they can spin on holsters - are one of the easiest and most engaging forms on enrichment. Birds are extremely fond of toys that they can tear apart, like ropes and sheets of paper, but I don't know if ratites find it as appealing.

JurassicMax, dt644 and Hammy like this.
  5. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

I agree. I think ostrich will be smarter than we think, but their body structure will have very limited behavior.

DSC_0827.JPG
    Seoul Zoo's hairless ostrich. some ostriches in Korea are more serious than this.
    Photo taken on August 20, 2018​

In Korea, ostrich's feather-pulling behavior is always included in the list of captive animal's stereotypic behavior. But one thing is unusual: emu and cassowary, the member of ratites like ostrich, show no such symptoms in Korean zoos.

The number of emu and cassowary in Korea is much smaller than ostrich, so I have little chance to look them closely. But I couldn't see that emu and cassowary in Korean zoos do pulling out their feather and pecking in the air and fence with their beaks like ostriches.

EsserWarrior likes this.