Join our zoo community

Enrichments

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by pearcey1090, 11 Sep 2011.

1. pearcey1090

pearcey1090 New Member

Firstly - Hello!

I am new here and looking for a bit of information!

I have been set the task of organizing my animal team to come up with a bunch of designs for a wide variety of animals and birds in our collection. I have got a lot of information already but am still after more, has anyone got any links to any publications or websites (excluding ABWAK's website and publication, Shape of enrichment, zoo news) which they find particularly useful?

All elements of this study must be natural or created from natural materials so a lot of enrichment ideas out there cannot be used.

What sources do you all use when coming up with new enrichments?

2. pearcey1090

pearcey1090 New Member

Bump...Anyone do enrichments?

3. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Not too many I would imagine as most people here are zoo enthusiasts, not zoo keepers.

You could try purchasing the AAZK Enrichment Notebook (originally it was a notebook, but now it's 455 pages).

Shop AAZK AAZK

Click on the link above and scroll down until you come to it. Will have a lot of artificial devices, but should have plenty of natural ones too.

:p

Hix

4. headkeeper

headkeeper Member

hi pearcey,
    whenever i run out of ideas i sometimes (believe it or not) turn to youtube! Whatever animal you are interested type into the search '_____ playing', eg 'tiger playing' or 'monkey playing', remembering that the poeple that upload these videos are not going to be species specific. I have found a suprising amount of animals 'playing' with various things, then I just modify what i see to suit my particular animals or exhibit.

5. headkeeper

headkeeper Member

'aussie dog' is also a brilliant zoo enrichment company in Australia with most of their product online

6. Rookeyper

Rookeyper Well-Known Member

Fort Worth Zoo and Disney both have great enrichment pages on their websites.

7. chfitzge

chfitzge New Member

Does anyone have a download of AAZK's Enrichment Notebook? You used to be able to download it from their site, and I only have a partial copy. I also cannot find a way to purchase it.