Join our zoo community

Erie Zoo maps?

Discussion in 'United States' started by wyldjaguar, 6 Jun 2012.

Tags:
  1. wyldjaguar

wyldjaguar Well-Known Member

Does anybody have access to, or know where one might find historical maps of the Erie Zoo? My research, including direct emails to the zoo, has been unsuccessful. About every other year, we take a day trip to the tiny park. It has some good things and some bad (sad polar bear grottos!), but I find the park amusing. I recently discovered one of our Cleveland Zoo elephants, Martika (aka Kiah at Erie) spent six years there; considering the park's size, I'm really curious where she was and about the historical layout of the unique grounds. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

2. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The elephant exhibit was where the orangutan exhibit is today.

3. wyldjaguar

Did a pachyderm yard go into the area where the train station currently sits? (I could maybe envision that...)

4. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No. The Erie Zoo was by no means a modern zoo 10 years ago. It has seen a lot of renovations in that time. I doubt you would be able to imagine what it looked like given the changes the zoo has made.

5. wyldjaguar

Kinda why i've been (unsuccessfully) trying to track down a map... :)

6. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Here is a map of their gardens from their website. It is not labeled, but some of the exhibits have animal drawings for what is in that exhibit. I requested a map from the zoo this year and the one they sent me is from when they added the exhibits near Wild Asia. Their current map also does not have any recent species changes for several exhibits. I hope this map will work.

https://www.eriezoo.org/PDFS/_ZooGardenWeb/SupportFiles/GardenMap1.pdf

Update: The map linked above does not contain the two new exhibits added next to Wild Asia in around 2007.

Last edited: 6 Jun 2012
  7. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where Erie is in their Masterplan ? Do they have something new in mind, they have not embarked on aproject in quite awhile now.

Team Tapir

9. wyldjaguar

@TigerValley - thanks for the assist. I've seen the garden map before, but hadn't seen the other you linked. It might be older than the garden map, but not by much. Unless they changed back this year, the enclosure marked "cheetah" on the map now houses "African Wild dogs." (I am amused the zoo does not link a map of their park online anymore.) To be honest, what I'm looking for is something that is ~20-25 years old to compare with maps I've seen/collected over the past six seasons. I DO appreciate you sharing, however...!

@TeamTapir - not sure. Direct emails to the zoo have been (no pun intended) "eerily" unresponsive. I know in the last few years they've rebooted their tiger enclosure and installed a model train garden adjacent to their primary concession stand. I understand they have funding issues and are closed to the public over the winter season.