Join our zoo community

Escape from the ABCs

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Maguari, 19 Jul 2009.

1. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Fascinating photos. I have a fondness for jellies. I find them them to be among the most interesting inhabitants of Toronto's Australasia exhibit. Everyone awwwws over the kangaroos (which I find adorable) but to me, it's these guys which are among my biggest draws.

2. robmv

robmv Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Indeed. One of several occasions during the trip when our ciconian friend got rather excited about an invertebrate (I'm afraid it was rather lost on me: I like my animals to have a backbone).

3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Pah, you enjoyed the Tank of Ninety Cuttlefish well enough! :D

(photos of that wonderful sight to follow in due course!)

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Probably not the place for it, but i do hope we can get some flavour and experiences from your Iberian trip in some sort of review pics?

5. Maguari

Give me a chance! :D

First batch of Lisbon photos on its way. ;)

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry if i came on a little heavy:eek:

But it sounds like quite a trip, with some collections, not too familiar with some of us.

Looking forward to your posts.

7. Maguari

As you'll have seen, we're underway - Lisbon Zoo and Oceanarium pictures are up now. :D

Back on topic - here's a video I took (on a normal camera video mode, so set expectations accordingly!) of one of the ctenophores at Oceanografic - should give an idea of the bioluminescent effect: A short video of #weirdanimaloftheday Mnemiopsis leidyi - sho... on Twitpic

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

9. Pacarana

Pacarana Well-Known Member

Very interesting thread Maguari!:) I enjoyed reading through it.

I forgot who mentioned this in the thread, I believe it was talked over in the first couple of pages about the Omani blind cavefish. From what I read the fish only breeds when there is a big lighting storm. This is not the first time I have herd of an animal only breeding when there is thunder or lighting storm going on. Many private breeders that keep Homopholis fasciata have only bred them when a storm hit their area. Basically breeding the fasciata is really hard since you can't plan on having storms throughout the year, they come sporadically. The Homopholis fasciata comes from the tanzania where there may be a precise breeding season of heaving rainfall and lighting.

Hopefully the owners of the cave fish and gecko can work out a way to breed them without a bad storm. It could be heavy rainfall that spurs on breeding but I almost think it has to do mainly with the lighting/pressure after the storm.

Homopholis fasciata alias African banded velvet gecko :: Hippocampus Bildarchiv

10. Chlidonias

Last edited: 20 Nov 2012
  11. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

12. chrisbarela

chrisbarela Well-Known Member

I always go to the Children's Zoo (in whatever zoo I'm visiting) since this is usually where a zoo will stick it's oddball species - armadillos, bats, insects. The good stuff!

13. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

not realy an escape from the abc's but seeing a canadian lynx at trotter's world of animals was brilliant as they're such a rare species in europe and especially in the uk.It's just a shame that they moved to pac de felins.

14. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, as I find this thread to be one of the most fascinating/important threads on zoochat, I think we should revive this old thing. To start off lets make an animal alphabet. Of rarities:D

A-Addax
    B-Bilby
    C-Cross river gorilla
    D-Desert Finch
    E-Eleven-banded armadillo
    F-Frigatebird
    G-Gharial
    H-Helmeted Curassow
    I-Indri
    J-Jack Pine Aphid
    K-Kihansi Spray Toad
    L-Leaf-tailed Gecko
    M-Margay
    N-Numbat
    O-Ocellated Turkey
    P-Pink fairy armadillo
    Q-Quokka
    R-Raccoon dog
    S-Saola
    T-Tuatara
    U-Umbrella bird
    V-Verreaux's sifaka
    W-White-browed owl
    X-X-ray tetra
    Y-Yellow mongoose
    Z-Zorilla
    Hope you enjoyed!

15. Chlidonias

those are all nice species, but I think you may have missed the point of the thread somewhat....

16. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No I understand the point of this thread(To list odd and cool species they have seen), but I just wanted a different way to start up.
    Sorry 'bout that:eek:
    Guess I might as well go.
    Recently, I went to the Beardsley zoo. I didn't think that there would be much oddities there so imagine the shock when I saw for the first time in Eastern hellbender! And to think, I nearly missed the building in which they were kept in. Although I have no pictures (darn tank!) it was really cool to be finally seeing a species that I have waited a long time to see.
    How's that?

Last edited: 4 Sep 2015
  17. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

18. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A few months back I was visiting my parents. It was soon after my birthday and my older sister offered to get me a season pass to Moody Gardens. (the gift that keeps on giving, so I'll have something to do whenever I visit, ha ha) I had only been there once because it's a little expensive, so I was pretty excited to go.

Main thing I was looking forward to was the giant otters. I know they're becoming more common in zoos, but I still hadn't had the chance to see them yet. I finally got to see them, and they were so cool! MG also had a seahorse exhibit with lots of cool species, including my favorite, the leafy seadragon! Also got to see pinnipeds and penguins. I know those aren't particularly unusual animals, but Texas only has one other sizable aquarium so there's not as much opportunity to view a variety of marine species. Texas sure could use another medium/large aquarium.

The rainforest pyramid had a loooot of cool animals too. Slow loris was a favorite of mine. I also appreciated getting to see fruit bats up close in the walk-through area of the pyramid. Not a lot of zoos have good bat viewing.

Unfortunately, I didn't really have a lot of time to stop and look at the exhibits or take pictures. My older sister was in a hurry to try the zipline and go to the pool. Whatever, she got me a season pass so I can spend lots of time there later, ha ha. I'll probably go back for Thanksgiving break, MG will probably be crowded, but, eh. They're gonna have a jellyfish exhibit. :)

19. Memo

Memo Member

I was very excited to stumble across the layson albatross presentation at Monterey Bay Aquarium this past July. I believe it's the only one in captivity and it was beautiful. However, my family keeps referring to it as ' that overgrown seagull you went nuts for ' every time I mention the trip.

20. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some people don't understand. My dad said all dolphins look the same to him. I called him a dolphin racist.