Join our zoo community

Escape from the ABCs

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Maguari, 19 Jul 2009.

1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

2. jerseygorilla

jerseygorilla Well-Known Member

These can also be found seen at Cotswold Wildlife Park, where I have seen them!

As for Jersey Zoo...

Narrow Striped Mongoose
    Black Lion Tamarin
    Mountain Chicken
    Utila Island Spiny Tailed Iguana
    Round Island Skink
    Lesser Antillean Iguana
    St Lucian Parrot
    Echo parakeet
    Mauritius Pink Pigeon
    Alaotran Gentle Lemur
    Red Billed Chough
    Aye Aye

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Yes but they are I believe still owned by Cotswold Falconry Centre which is where they got them from!!

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

for those who like pinguinis* I just put some photos of white-flippered penguins here New Zealand - Other Gallery

*anyone else familiar with youtube movie Italian Spiderman?

5. Chlidonias

thought I might as well throw these on the thread....

http://www.zoochat.com/15/kakapo-chick-strigops-habroptilus-210671/
    http://www.zoochat.com/15/kakapo-chick-strigops-habroptilus-210672/
    http://www.zoochat.com/15/kakapo-chick-strigops-habroptilus-210673/
    http://www.zoochat.com/15/kakapo-chick-strigops-habroptilus-210674/

Its sort of cheating, because the chick isn't actually a zoo bird, but she is in Wellington Zoo's hospital. Not the greatest of photos either but not absolutely rubbish at least!

6. Maguari

Not absolutely rubbish at all! Lovely pics.

Given that she's not a resident, was this a surprise or did you know she was there? If I came across an unexpected Kakapo I'd fear for my heart. ;)

7. Chlidonias

I did know she was at the Zoo's hospital but only just discovered yesterday that one could actually see her, but then I almost missed her anyway because she's only out of her brood box twice a day for feeding at 11am and 3pm. I may go back to try for some better shots later in the week if I can make the time.

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hope the chick makes headway and overcomes what ails it- liver problem associated with giving chicks (too rich) supplementary feeding if the Rimu fruting is not going as planned?

So presumably they will have to adjust the content of additional feeding in the future.

9. Pertinax

I saw an article about a Spix Macaw that travelled with two caretakers/curators from Loro Parc to Brazil (or was it the other way around). It was in a carrycage-type box for the flight. I wish I'd bumped into that little travelling party.!:D

10. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is the chick due to return to the wild when it's better or does it have anything preventing this (human attachment, something that can come back later or simply a problem that can only be treated and not cured)? If that makes any sense :D

11. Maguari

You and me both! :D

12. Chlidonias

she will be at the zoo till Friday (at least) and all going well will then be flown back to Codfish Island; if she needs more time she'll stay at the zoo for longer. But it's all looking good, so hopefully she will be leaving Wellington in the next few days.

13. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not worth booking a trip for next year then :p

But in seriousness I'm glad that she's doing well and fingers crossed she can be successfully released back into the wild and go on to be a good breeder. This is a fantastic species and I hope to see one some day - you are very lucky :)

14. Pertinax

What would they do back on Codfish- return her to her 'nest' so that a parent will continue feeding her? I suppose its workable if its a nest with another chick still in it. Or will it be artificially reared but 'in situ'.

15. Chlidonias

I'm not entirely sure but I think she'll be put into one of the nests. If she was going to be entirely hand raised that would be done on the mainland rather than on Codfish.

16. Chlidonias

was back at the zoo yesterday, and have just put three more photos of the kakapo chick in the Wellington Zoo gallery

17. Chlidonias

the kakapo chick has recovered sufficiently to be sent back home
    Kakapo out of intensive care | Stuff.co.nz

(I posted the same comment on all the photos of her in the gallery which is probably going to be annoying to people clicking on each one to see what the new comment is, but at least that way its comprehensive) :)

18. Chlidonias

19. Maguari

Just back from an Iberian zoo/aquarium-fest (Lisbon, Madrid, Valencia, Barcelona) and have found some beauties for this thread!

I'll link to some others once I've sorted the photos and uploaded them properly in the gallery, but there was one oddball species in particular I got rather over-excited about (as robmv will attest).

We first saw them at Oceanografic in Valencia, though they later turned up at Barcelona Aquarium as well, though in a less well-lit tank that was less good for photos.

Rather excitingly, it was a whole new phylum for me - Ctenophora - the comb 'jellies' - superficially similar to jellyfish though not related to them. The 'comb' in the name (and indeed, the 'cteno') refers to the lines of bioluminescent cilia along their bodies. Ctenophores are also the only animals to possess colloblasts - cells that secrete glue to trap prey.

The particular species on show at both collections was the Warty Comb Jelly, Mnemiopsis leidyi.

They are simply entrancing, with little bioluminescent flashes running along their body. Stunning animals.

Photos attached are from the exhibit at Oceanografic, which was (pleasingly) attracting a lot of attention and comment from visitors.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 1 Jun 2011
  20. Maguari

...and a couple more (couldn't choose between them!).

Attached Files: